Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charlotte, NC - Northlake Centre Parkway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a Christmas surprise, Charlotte is getting some more Supercharger love!

Permit for a Supercharger is in the system! This is the same architect firm that did the South Charlotte Supercharger.
Address is:
9841 Northlake Centre Pkwy
Charlotte, NC 28216

The other North Charlotte Supercharger is at the red X
upload_2020-12-3_13-1-17.png

Plan Review StatMap

Note: this is in a Target parking lot!

@Chuq @corywright

That's a good spot for one. Seems like they are getting Charlotte pretty well covered now!
We have lots of work still.
The Metropolitan Target (near Uptown) is supposed to get a Supercharger station based on Target's leaked documents in Florida.
That one is possibly an Urban Supercharger type (72 kW stations) That would serve the condo/apartment communities in that area well.

But approaching Charlotte from Asheville - we need something near Kings Mountain/Gastonia/321.
From Wilmington - we need something past Monroe, maybe Wingate.

We need a Boone Supercharger badly.
Also, need one between Gastonia and Greenville -- this could work at Gaffney Outlet Marketplace @ 1 Factory Shops Blvd, Gaffney, SC 29341

Oh, and leaving Charlotte going south is fine, but coming back you have elevation increase from Columbia to Charlotte, if you don't stop in Columbia you are screwed most of the time.
So, a Rock Hill or somewhere in that vicinity would be good as well.

Last edited:
It doesn’t look like you NC guys will stop finding permits anytime soon. If you’re interested, apparently Tesla is planning a 2nd Supercharger in Asheville for 2021. Maybe you guys’ll find something there! @RTPEV @SigNC @mspisars

Also: if you do find something, please tag me so I can tell the person who tipped me on this location

Last edited by a moderator:
We have lots of work still.
The Metropolitan Target (near Uptown) is supposed to get a Supercharger station based on Target's leaked documents in Florida.
That one is possibly an Urban Supercharger type (72 kW stations) That would serve the condo/apartment communities in that area well.

But approaching Charlotte from Asheville - we need something near Kings Mountain/Gastonia/321.
From Wilmington - we need something past Monroe, maybe Wingate.

We need a Boone Supercharger badly.
Also, need one between Gastonia and Greenville -- this could work at Gaffney Outlet Marketplace @ 1 Factory Shops Blvd, Gaffney, SC 29341

Oh, and leaving Charlotte going south is fine, but coming back you have elevation increase from Columbia to Charlotte, if you don't stop in Columbia you are screwed most of the time.
So, a Rock Hill or somewhere in that vicinity would be good as well.
I agree with all your points. The Kings Mountain area around 85/321 would be ideal. There's a big hole there. You're covered if you're coming in on I-40 with the Hickory SC but if you coming in on I-85 there's a big gap.

That SC in Columbia is terrible. I hate the location. I've only used it once. I'll do just about anything to skip over that one if I can.

I agree with all your points. The Kings Mountain area around 85/321 would be ideal. There's a big hole there. You're covered if you're coming in on I-40 with the Hickory SC but if you coming in on I-85 there's a big gap.

That SC in Columbia is terrible. I hate the location. I've only used it once. I'll do just about anything to skip over that one if I can.

I didn't think Columbia was that bad for I77, but I've only used it once. It seems like it stays fairly busy. I'd love to see a couple of them on I26 and one between Greenville and Charlotte on I85, though. Those would fix a lot of the issues in this area, I think.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
I didn't think Columbia was that bad for I77, but I've only used it once. It seems like it stays fairly busy. I'd love to see a couple of them on I26 and one between Greenville and Charlotte on I85, though. Those would fix a lot of the issues in this area, I think.
I may have had a bad experience there. We were parked facing the pool and there was some horrific scenery going down. LOL!

I swung by today and my initial thoughts are that they'll place the Superchargers on the back right corner if you're looking at Target. Seems to have some electrical equipment already back there. However there is a TON of parking here, so just a guess. Not a lot of progress, but the permit was JUST issued. This is a great location in my opinion. Access to I-77 isn't easy on/easy off, but its close. It's also just off I-485. The shopping center has quite a few food options and other shopping activities to do while you wait, although its a v3 so less of that. Target has bathroom facilities and a Starbucks. Plus a full-on grocery so many options for your pit stop.

IMG_5295.jpg

This is great to hear since in the 7 years of Tesla ownership the only place I've *ever* had to wait for charging in the entire area east of the Rocky Mountains... is the Charlotte Supercharger. Because of bunch of you locals go over there and charge during lunch/afternoon; either because you are grandfathered in with free Supercharging or you are too cheap to install a charger at home. Out of the 2 dozen people I've struck up conversations with over the past 3-4yrs, maybe 2 said they lived in apartment complexes and didn't have access to overnight charging.

This is great to hear since in the 7 years of Tesla ownership the only place I've *ever* had to wait for charging in the entire area east of the Rocky Mountains... is the Charlotte Supercharger. Because of bunch of you locals go over there and charge during lunch/afternoon; either because you are grandfathered in with free Supercharging or you are too cheap to install a charger at home. Out of the 2 dozen people I've struck up conversations with over the past 3-4yrs, maybe 2 said they lived in apartment complexes and didn't have access to overnight charging.
I'm sorry, that is just ignorant of the charging situation in Charlotte.
We have had a TON of new Tesla owners in the area and since the introduction of the idle fees the issue of locals parking at the stations is not accurate.

The north Charlotte station covers the I-85 corridor and is pretty much a required stop for anyone coming from Atlanta and most folks coming south.

Simply put, Charlotte is way underserved and needs at least 3 more Superchargering stations in the vicinity.