Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charlotte, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checked in around 1:30 pm sat after the EV Event in Concord, I didn't notice the Kw's But I did see 2 Chevy Bolt's pull in and try to charge.:cool:
1wafl2.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Vertice
18 Tesla owners, wanna be and a Tesla Tech showed at the SC Friday for the monthly meet up and lunch. Largest ever.

Attachments

• IMG_3173.jpg
    IMG_3173.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3175.jpg
    IMG_3175.jpg
    659.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3176.jpg
    IMG_3176.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3181.jpg
    IMG_3181.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Cyclone
This charger has been open for a while now... and I've come to the conclusion that it's just too inconveniently placed for many routes. It's "ok" placement for I-85 thru traffic, but that's pretty much it.

4 miles (~5 minutes) out of the way for I-85 thru folks, I-85S to I-77S, I-77N to I-85N.
9 miles (~17 minutes) out of the way for I-77 thru folks.
16 miles (~19 minutes) out of the way for I-85N to I-77N and I-77S to I-85S.
28 miles (~33 minutes) out of the way for I-77N to I-85S and I-85N to I-77S. (Sounds dumb, but it's a common route.)
61 miles (~56 minutes) out of the way for I-85N to Hwy 321N and 321S to I-85S. (Extreme example, but I've needed to do this before the Hickory supercharger was opened.)

Anyway... turns out to be pretty bad placement I think. Doesn't service a good chunk of routes without significant detours and delays. Anything more than 5 minutes off a route is too much, really. The above time estimates are averages... depending on time of day, can be way worse.... but that's not specific to here really.

They should probably open up some more stations in the area at some point to make more sense for other common routes. They could cover I-77 quite well if they open a sensibly placed supercharger is Statesville like I was just noting in that thread.

Anyway, just some thoughts after nearly four years of avoiding this detour stop.

Reactions: SigNC and Drucifer
This charger has been open for a while now... and I've come to the conclusion that it's just too inconveniently placed for many routes. It's "ok" placement for I-85 thru traffic, but that's pretty much it.

4 miles (~5 minutes) out of the way for I-85 thru folks, I-85S to I-77S, I-77N to I-85N.
9 miles (~17 minutes) out of the way for I-77 thru folks.
16 miles (~19 minutes) out of the way for I-85N to I-77N and I-77S to I-85S.
28 miles (~33 minutes) out of the way for I-77N to I-85S and I-85N to I-77S. (Sounds dumb, but it's a common route.)
61 miles (~56 minutes) out of the way for I-85N to Hwy 321N and 321S to I-85S. (Extreme example, but I've needed to do this before the Hickory supercharger was opened.)

Anyway... turns out to be pretty bad placement I think. Doesn't service a good chunk of routes without significant detours and delays. Anything more than 5 minutes off a route is too much, really. The above time estimates are averages... depending on time of day, can be way worse.... but that's not specific to here really.

They should probably open up some more stations in the area at some point to make more sense for other common routes. They could cover I-77 quite well if they open a sensibly placed supercharger is Statesville like I was just noting in that thread.

Anyway, just some thoughts after nearly four years of avoiding this detour stop.

plus, last time I was there the coffee shop had closed....was there another one opened?

I have charged here a couple of times a week for the last 3.5 years. This location has become extremely busy especially since the 3s have arrived. I agree CLT is in need of additional SC. Southwest side of Charlotte on 485 somewhere between 85 and 77 would pick up traffic from south and west.

That would be fantastic. I could charge while my wife checks out Pike's Nursery. It would eliminate our need to use 120V 12A when visiting our son. The 120V wasn't too bad, but we had to route most of our long day trips through the existing Supercharger which was usually well out of the way.

That's even more out of the way for actual routes than the current Charlotte station... ~20 miles round trip from 77, no help for 85 at all.
Going from SC to Statesville on I-77 during most daylight hours, you would take I-485 west of the city... or waste time standing in traffic. I think the Premium Outlet Mall to the west would have been a better choice.
But this is still not a waste, and I-85 to I-77 makes a decent connection here.
What I am saying is: yes, there are probably better locations, but if we get a supercharger here, I am NOT going to complain.

Edit: and no I do not live in the area.