TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Charlottesville, VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by BobV, Feb 24, 2017.

1. BobV

BobV Member

#1 BobV, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Building permit applied for 2/09/2017. The county's permitting system doesn't support deep-linking, a screenshot is attached.

Looks like it'll be in the corner of the Hyatt Place's parking lot adjacent to Stonefield Commons at 2100 Bond St. The permit says four supercharger cabinets and four charging stations, but I'm guessing there's a miscommunication about the 2:1 ratio of stalls to cabinets.

Attached Files:

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 3
    • Love x 2
  2. swengl

swengl Member

Looks like they are trying to cater more to Rt 29 traffic instead of the interstate (which is great, honestly). I have avoided traveling 29 due to the lack of good charging. I hope they have this up by June (wishful thinking, I know).

• Love x 1
  3. survivor

survivor Member

Oh man, I dread going up there to Stonefield (kind of a circus) but it's probably a pretty logical location.

I doubt I would end up using this often in my theoretical Model 3 but I'm glad there's going to be Supercharging here.

4. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Honestly, I was holding out more hope for Farmville for 460 and 15 traffic.

:(

• Like x 1
  5. swengl

swengl Member

If you know of any business owners in the Farmville area that would be willing to host destination charging, that would not be a bad alternative. I have some of the literature that Tesla uses to encourage participation and, if the business meets the qualifications, Tesla will supply the chargers and help offset the cost of the installation. A restaurant or a shop that is near dining / entertainment would be a good candidate. I'm working with a business in Altavista to install 3 Tesla and 1 universal charger right now. The process is pretty painless.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Charlottesville, VA

Interstates: I-64
    US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-29, US-250*

I-64:
    To: Glen Allen, VA - 68.5 miles
    Diversion: 4.4
    To: Norfolk, VA - 165 miles

To: Strasburg, VA (I-64, I-81) - 112 miles
    To: Laurel, MD (US-29, I-66, I-495, MD-198) - 132 miles
    To: Woodbridge, VA (I-64, VA-22, VA-231, US-15, VA-20, VA-3, I-95) - 94.3 miles
    To: Salisbury, MD (US-29, I-66, I-495, US-50) - 238 miles
    To: Burlington, NC (US-29, NC-61) - 180 miles
    To: Charlotte, NC (US-29, I-85) - 261 miles
    To: Morgantown, WV (I-64, I-81, VA-259, WV-259, US-48, WV-42, US-50, MD-560, MD-135, local, US-219, MD-42, I-68, US-119) - 235 miles

* First Supercharger close to US-250.

7. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Thanks. I actually live in MA. My wife is from Pamplin (20 min west of Farmville along 460). I was hoping for a Supercharger for visits to the in-laws. The best I can do at their place is a 14-50, which isn't bad if I stop at Glen Allen on my way into town. But I'd like the ability to chauffeur them around in my Model 3 (sometime next year) when we're there.

8. callmesam

callmesam Member

We drive from Tidewater to C'ville and a Supercharger near Barracks will make a single day, round trip (with side trips) so much easier.

9. jfe_md

jfe_md Member

I would have preferred closer to I-64 but at least there is plenty to do in that area. My wife loves Trader Joe's which is very closeby. Thanks for finding this and please keep us up to date once construction starts. Side note. Statesville NC is still in permit stage at 122 days and counting; construction just started at Myrtle Beach after 100+ days. Lucky to see the Charlottesville SC operational before end of summer.

10. swengl

swengl Member

I live in Lynchburg. If you need some electrons when you're in the area, let me know ;)

• Like x 1
  11. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

This is huge for me. We are down and back to Charlottesville all the time and the range is just at the limit of our 60. Having a supercharger will make the trip so much easier with even a short 10 min charge.

• Like x 1
  12. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

I saw this on the 2017 Map, and was wondering when it would be started! I've been waiting to take the Tesla to our mountain place west of Staunton, and this should make it much easier.

13. EVJunkie

EVJunkie Member

If your "mountain place" is a rental that is listed on AirBnB/Homeaway it qualifies for Tesla Destination charging. It just needs to be a rental property that is primarily rented out. Just an FYI.

14. OBX John

Thanks - yeah, they actually got in touch with me since I own several rentals here at the beach - but free equipment isn't that great of a deal.

But the mountain place is a bit difficult since I have to cross a stream to get there - was going to leave my MS on the other side and take the walking bridge. No where to charge on the far side of the bridge though, so having a charger in C'ville so I have half a battery left is pretty important. I guess I could run about 400' of extension cords... ;-)

15. EVJunkie

EVJunkie Member

Definitely some interesting challenges. Sounds like you need a carport with a huge solar array and a power pack or two on the other side of the river. ;-)

16. JST

JST Active Member

Put a mill in the stream. Hydro power!

• Funny x 1
  17. Franks

Franks New Member

any idea when this will happen?

18. OBX John

If anyone is near this location, let us know if anything is happening!

19. EVJunkie

EVJunkie Member

Stopped by middle of last week and saw no activity. I think it still may be in permitting as it does not show one being issued through the city. Keep in mind they have not posted March permits yet.

City of Charlottesville : PERMITS AND INSPECTIONS RECORDS

• Like x 1
  20. BobV

BobV Member

Stonefield is just over the border in Albemarle county (see attached).

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 11.41.10 AM.png

The county's permitting website is here: Welcome and Stonefield's parcel number is 061W0-03-00-019A0. The permit, B201700323NC, is showing as having been issued. Be warned that the permitting site is less-than-modern :) Given the wide variations in Tesla's permit-to-construction times, it's anybody's guess when construction will start.

One thing that may or may not be related is the Richmond service center build-out (9850 W. Broad St.) that appears to be underway. Rumor is that's expected to open before fall, VADA legal actions notwithstanding.

I usually stop at Stonefield once a month or so and will let you all know if I see something that looks like the supercharger build-out.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1