Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charlottesville, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Building permit applied for 2/09/2017. The county's permitting system doesn't support deep-linking, a screenshot is attached.

Looks like it'll be in the corner of the Hyatt Place's parking lot adjacent to Stonefield Commons at 2100 Bond St. The permit says four supercharger cabinets and four charging stations, but I'm guessing there's a miscommunication about the 2:1 ratio of stalls to cabinets.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 12.40.34.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 12.40.34.png
    100 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Looks like they are trying to cater more to Rt 29 traffic instead of the interstate (which is great, honestly). I have avoided traveling 29 due to the lack of good charging. I hope they have this up by June (wishful thinking, I know).

• Love
Reactions: JST
Honestly, I was holding out more hope for Farmville for 460 and 15 traffic.

:(
If you know of any business owners in the Farmville area that would be willing to host destination charging, that would not be a bad alternative. I have some of the literature that Tesla uses to encourage participation and, if the business meets the qualifications, Tesla will supply the chargers and help offset the cost of the installation. A restaurant or a shop that is near dining / entertainment would be a good candidate. I'm working with a business in Altavista to install 3 Tesla and 1 universal charger right now. The process is pretty painless.

Charlottesville, VA

Interstates: I-64
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-29, US-250*

I-64:
To: Glen Allen, VA - 68.5 miles
Diversion: 4.4
To: Norfolk, VA - 165 miles

To: Strasburg, VA (I-64, I-81) - 112 miles
To: Laurel, MD (US-29, I-66, I-495, MD-198) - 132 miles
To: Woodbridge, VA (I-64, VA-22, VA-231, US-15, VA-20, VA-3, I-95) - 94.3 miles
To: Salisbury, MD (US-29, I-66, I-495, US-50) - 238 miles
To: Burlington, NC (US-29, NC-61) - 180 miles
To: Charlotte, NC (US-29, I-85) - 261 miles
To: Morgantown, WV (I-64, I-81, VA-259, WV-259, US-48, WV-42, US-50, MD-560, MD-135, local, US-219, MD-42, I-68, US-119) - 235 miles

* First Supercharger close to US-250.

If you know of any business owners in the Farmville area that would be willing to host destination charging, that would not be a bad alternative. I have some of the literature that Tesla uses to encourage participation and, if the business meets the qualifications, Tesla will supply the chargers and help offset the cost of the installation. A restaurant or a shop that is near dining / entertainment would be a good candidate. I'm working with a business in Altavista to install 3 Tesla and 1 universal charger right now. The process is pretty painless.

Thanks. I actually live in MA. My wife is from Pamplin (20 min west of Farmville along 460). I was hoping for a Supercharger for visits to the in-laws. The best I can do at their place is a 14-50, which isn't bad if I stop at Glen Allen on my way into town. But I'd like the ability to chauffeur them around in my Model 3 (sometime next year) when we're there.

I would have preferred closer to I-64 but at least there is plenty to do in that area. My wife loves Trader Joe's which is very closeby. Thanks for finding this and please keep us up to date once construction starts. Side note. Statesville NC is still in permit stage at 122 days and counting; construction just started at Myrtle Beach after 100+ days. Lucky to see the Charlottesville SC operational before end of summer.

Thanks. I actually live in MA. My wife is from Pamplin (20 min west of Farmville along 460). I was hoping for a Supercharger for visits to the in-laws. The best I can do at their place is a 14-50, which isn't bad if I stop at Glen Allen on my way into town. But I'd like the ability to chauffeur them around in my Model 3 (sometime next year) when we're there.
I live in Lynchburg. If you need some electrons when you're in the area, let me know ;)

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I saw this on the 2017 Map, and was wondering when it would be started! I've been waiting to take the Tesla to our mountain place west of Staunton, and this should make it much easier.

If your "mountain place" is a rental that is listed on AirBnB/Homeaway it qualifies for Tesla Destination charging. It just needs to be a rental property that is primarily rented out. Just an FYI.

If your "mountain place" is a rental that is listed on AirBnB/Homeaway it qualifies for Tesla Destination charging. It just needs to be a rental property that is primarily rented out. Just an FYI.

Thanks - yeah, they actually got in touch with me since I own several rentals here at the beach - but free equipment isn't that great of a deal.

But the mountain place is a bit difficult since I have to cross a stream to get there - was going to leave my MS on the other side and take the walking bridge. No where to charge on the far side of the bridge though, so having a charger in C'ville so I have half a battery left is pretty important. I guess I could run about 400' of extension cords... ;-)

Thanks - yeah, they actually got in touch with me since I own several rentals here at the beach - but free equipment isn't that great of a deal.

But the mountain place is a bit difficult since I have to cross a stream to get there - was going to leave my MS on the other side and take the walking bridge. No where to charge on the far side of the bridge though, so having a charger in C'ville so I have half a battery left is pretty important. I guess I could run about 400' of extension cords... ;-)
Put a mill in the stream. Hydro power!

• Funny
Reactions: OBX John
Stopped by middle of last week and saw no activity. I think it still may be in permitting as it does not show one being issued through the city. Keep in mind they have not posted March permits yet.

City of Charlottesville : PERMITS AND INSPECTIONS RECORDS

Stonefield is just over the border in Albemarle county (see attached).

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 11.41.10 AM.png

The county's permitting website is here: Welcome and Stonefield's parcel number is 061W0-03-00-019A0. The permit, B201700323NC, is showing as having been issued. Be warned that the permitting site is less-than-modern :) Given the wide variations in Tesla's permit-to-construction times, it's anybody's guess when construction will start.

One thing that may or may not be related is the Richmond service center build-out (9850 W. Broad St.) that appears to be underway. Rumor is that's expected to open before fall, VADA legal actions notwithstanding.

I usually stop at Stonefield once a month or so and will let you all know if I see something that looks like the supercharger build-out.