Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charlottesville, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greatly appreciate the correction. Now we just need to find some patience..... :-/

I need to find a good level 2 or better charger in C'ville! I'm hoping the BMW dealer will let us charge on our upcoming spring break trip - not sure if I can make the leg from Richmond to our mountain place in Headwaters, VA on one charge in our MS 60. I'm sure I can find something if I look hard enough; worst case we find a hotel with one and spend the night. If there's one within walking distance of a yoga studio, my wife will be ecstatic.

I need to find a good level 2 or better charger in C'ville! I'm hoping the BMW dealer will let us charge on our upcoming spring break trip - not sure if I can make the leg from Richmond to our mountain place in Headwaters, VA on one charge in our MS 60. I'm sure I can find something if I look hard enough; worst case we find a hotel with one and spend the night. If there's one within walking distance of a yoga studio, my wife will be ecstatic.

The Hyatt Place at Stonefield has two destination chargers.

There's also a surface lot downtown at 1st and Market St. with another destination charger as well as a DC charger, according to PlugShare. My wife is a regular at Tru Pilates Studio, which would just be a couple of blocks away from that lot (they have online signup and most classes are open-enrollment). There are several other studios in that same general area, but I'm not familiar with any of them.

• Helpful
Reactions: OBX John

There's also a surface lot downtown at 1st and Market St. with another destination charger as well as a DC charger, according to PlugShare. My wife is a regular at Tru Pilates Studio, which would just be a couple of blocks away from that lot (they have online signup and most classes are open-enrollment). There are several other studios in that same general area, but I'm not familiar with any of them.
I'll say this about the 1st and Market Street charger: You have to pay to park in the lot and this is a popular destination (downtown mall). During large events downtown, I wouldn't count on this charger being available.

• Informative

Yes, l'm going to try that one, but as swengl notes, it might be ICE'ed. She's definitely got a yoga place near the downtown mall, I've wandered around there while she's taken a class on our way home from the mountains. I'll most likely just drop her at a class and start looking around at the plugshare options. Thanks for the suggestions! I think by the end of the trip my wife will be completely on board for buying our second MS, but this time a 100D. I lent my 60 to her for the first time last Friday... and I still don't have it back! Darn things are addictive.

If you do get access to the charger at the Downtown Mall, it cut out on me after about 20 minutes when charging at 80 amps. It seemed to do OK when charging at 70 amps but I didn't stay much longer to fully test it. The lot was rather busy Friday afternoon and I was surprised to see the charger was available.

• Informative
I have used the charger at the downtown mall on several occasions and never had an issue with it being ICE'd. There are two chargers at the Keswick resort just east of Charlottesville. I have charged there three times--I called and asked if I could use one for an hour without staying overnight and they didn't mind. I just went in and had a snack or walked the grounds. The chargers are in the parking lot to the right of the entrance to the building.

• Informative
It depends on if they run into any delays / issues. Sometimes a month, sometimes 3. It really does vary, from what I've seen. I've seen another thread where someone has put together a spreadsheet with the permit data, construction start and finish for analysis.

plugshare.com or app makes it so easy.

The downtown mall charger works well

upload_2017-4-30_14-34-23.png

plugshare.com or app makes it so easy.

The downtown mall charger works well

View attachment 225035

I'm hoping it's not ICED when I get there tomorrow! That one is my first choice. I hoping to get there early enough to scout out the others for next time, though it won't matter once I get my 100D, or they open the supercharger.

There's one closer to my place in Stanton, a high power DC station even, but it's CHAdeMO and CCS with no Tesla plugs apparently and I don't have the adapter.

I'm hoping it's not ICED when I get there tomorrow! That one is my first choice. I hoping to get there early enough to scout out the others for next time, though it won't matter once I get my 100D, or they open the supercharger.

There's one closer to my place in Stanton, a high power DC station even, but it's CHAdeMO and CCS with no Tesla plugs apparently and I don't have the adapter.

Next time you need an adapter for a road trip let me know. I will lend it to you for the cost of shipping each way. There is a DCFC at the mall in Charlottesville too! Virginia Clean Cities did a great job of covering the state in those combo plug DCFC.

Does anyone from this area have an update on the permit / construction status?

I was at Stonefield today. There were a few construction-type vehicles in that lot, but I think it's related to the next phase of condos they're building next door. No digging in the lot or equipment crates.

However, there was a Tesla road-show at Stonefield this weekend with some X's and an Airstream trailer. It wasn't listed on the tesla.com/events, but Tesla Test Drive | Shops at Stonefield says they'll be there through the 2nd if anyone's interested.

Charlottesville will be nice. A supercharger in Lynchburg would be wonderful. I live in Richmond and have family in Lynchburg. Cannot make round trip on one charge. I need to stop at destination charger both ways which is an hour out of way (counting detour plus slow charge).

Charlottesville will be nice. A supercharger in Lynchburg would be wonderful. I live in Richmond and have family in Lynchburg. Cannot make round trip on one charge. I need to stop at destination charger both ways which is an hour out of way (counting detour plus slow charge).
You are welcome to PM me if you need a charge while in Lynchburg. I have a HPWC in my garage.

Reactions: callmesam