Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charlton, MA (I-90 westbound service plaza)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on location, getting the electric utility to inspect, hook up, and turn on a completed SC can take longer than construction. Littleton got turned on almost immediately. Let's hope this is equally fast.
Agreed. Given the rest stops are probably state property, I have no idea how this factors into the inspections process.

Stopped today around 3 pm, no one there. Looks mostly finished,
95C5D790-3403-47DE-9FF6-16D96F96B4AD.jpeg
everything in place. Overhead main power is there but not connected.
446CF2B1-CA10-463B-9E81-E7B1995390A6.jpeg

4 years, the state did not let Tesla put superchargers along the pike, because they did not want to show brand favoritism.

Maybe in order to place superchargers here, the state made Tesla build out the infrastructure for some level two charging.

Installing L2 charging station in a service plaza makes no sense as people don't spend hours there.

A more sensible approach is to require Tesla to build enough infrastructure for someone else to come in and provide CCS charging. This is what New Jersey did on the NJ Turnpike.

Installing L2 charging station in a service plaza makes no sense as people don't spend hours there.
Good point - i think in my head all other fast charging sucks so bad that I just consider it to be level 2 😂. One of the SC under construction in MA right now has ChargePoint included in the plans - maybe this is another. But protecting the transformer makes sense too.

A more sensible approach is to require Tesla to build enough infrastructure for someone else to come in and provide CCS charging. This is what New Jersey did on the NJ Turnpike.

There are already EVgo stations on the MA Turnpike service plazas.

Good point - i think in my head all other fast charging sucks so bad that I just consider it to be level 2 😂. One of the SC under construction in MA right now has ChargePoint included in the plans - maybe this is another. But protecting the transformer makes sense too.

That would probably be Woburn. All the Target installations include ChargePoint L2 is part of the agreement between Target and Tesla.

I stopped by at the Westbound location this Friday 5/14 in the evening and looks like site is all cleaned up but there is wait for utility to do their work. The pavement may also need some repainting (pictures attached). Eastbound next day appeared similar but didn't take the pictures.

Attachments

• Charlton_MA-Tesla-1.jpg
    Charlton_MA-Tesla-1.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Charlton_MA-Tesla-2.jpg
    Charlton_MA-Tesla-2.jpg
    656.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Charlton_MA-Tesla-3.jpg
    Charlton_MA-Tesla-3.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 50
  • Charlton_MA-Tesla-4.jpg
    Charlton_MA-Tesla-4.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 48
I stopped by at the Westbound location this Friday 5/14 in the evening and looks like site is all cleaned up but there is wait for utility to do their work. The pavement may also need some repainting (pictures attached). Eastbound next day appeared similar but didn't take the pictures.
Drove by this exit tonight, and noticed (from afar, while on I-90) still no Supercharger lights.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Drove by this exit tonight, and noticed (from afar, while on I-90) still no Supercharger lights.

I-90 was busy last night! Drove Rochester-Boston, Albany/Colonie and Lee were both reporting full up. Guilderland has disappeared from the in-car nav, but it was open and there were 6-8 other Teslas there when we charged. I noticed the stalls at both Charlton rest areas. We wound up at Framingham which was very busy, and therefore somewhat slow-charging. All-in-all a good run, with lunch on Crazy Otto's new deck in Herkimer (recommended!)

I checked out the westbound location on 5/15. The equipment all seems to be in place, but there is no transformer installed, and the cutouts on the power pole are not installed. Perhaps they are waiting either for the transformer to be available, or the electric company to install it.

The eastbound location also seems complete, but with "coming soon" covers on all the chargers. No transformer installed at the eastbound location as of 5/15 either.