Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chattanooga, TN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looks like they finished the paving around the Superchargers. Used the first stall yesterday with no issues. I guess they renamed the lot "long term parking 2" and ditched the "Intermediate Parking" label. Didn't put the Chattanooga Supercharger into the NAV, so I'm not sure they have updated/fixed the directions.

I was VERY happy to see that Tesla posted new signage at the Chattanooga SupeCharger
Tesla Sign Chatt.jpg

They are in Long Term 2. You do not have to pay to get in. You should not have to pay to get out - as long as you take your ticket to the reader at the gate as you drive out, it should let you out without demanding money, especially if you're there for less than two hours. If there's a human in the booth and is new, they may not know of this policy, so just drive past them and use the automated ticket machine.

Reactions: ldgrmnmc
They are in Long Term 2. You do not have to pay to get in. You should not have to pay to get out - as long as you take your ticket to the reader at the gate as you drive out, it should let you out without demanding money, especially if you're there for less than two hours. If there's a human in the booth and is new, they may not know of this policy, so just drive past them and use the automated ticket machine.

Every time I've been there there's been a person in the booth and they've never given me any hassle at all.

As an aside - Having visited this supercharger a few times on the trip between Nashville and Atlanta, I've got to say I hate it being at the airport. We took the family down to Atlanta this past weekend and my wife didn't want to take the Tesla since it would require stopping to charge. It wasn't the charge that was the issue - rather it was the fact that food options are so limited at the airport. It's great that there's an actual restaurant outside security that you can go to, but it's pretty basic airport food and expensive at that. The last time we went they'd taken off the one menu item my wife liked so I started dropping her and the kids off at another restaurant to eat while I went and charged. They were happy with the food, but since the airport isn't really around anything it added at least 30 minutes more to the trip than would otherwise be necessary and made my wife even unhappier that the trip was now taking so much longer than it would in her ICE minivan (she's the "let's get there NOW" type rather than the "stop and smell the roses type" - especially with two small kids in tow).

Tesla, if you're listening, please, please, please, PLEASE move the Chattanooga Supercharger somewhere more convenient with more amenities. Having a Supercharger in Chattanooga is wonderful, but the location leaves so much to be desired.

The rumor I heard was that the airport deals (both Chattanooga and Savannah) are for five years only, and they were made because Tesla needed a location badly. I believe their first choice was the big mall that's in that same area (Hamilton Place or something like that?) but couldn't wait for the deal to come through.

It's my hope that this rumor is true and that they can find a new location in Chattanooga (and Savannah, for that matter) when the five years is up...Three years to go...

In early June we will be using the Chattanooga SC towing a long trailer. Any advice for folks who have used this one? Any extra charge for driving in with a trailer. Any place to drop it off to charge? Thanks!

In early June we will be using the Chattanooga SC towing a long trailer. Any advice for folks who have used this one? Any extra charge for driving in with a trailer. Any place to drop it off to charge? Thanks!
The superchargers are behind an automatic gate that you pull a ticket from, which is normally what they use to charge you for your time spent in the lot (though I've never actually incurred a charge in the times I've charged there). I believe the gate that opens once you pull the ticket from the machine uses an inductive loop in the pavement to determine when you've passed through the gate; I've never tried passing through one of those with a trailer (perhaps you know from personal experience) but if the trailer is sufficient to appear as "more car" then the gate shouldn't shut on you.

I don't believe they normally deal with people carrying trailers in that lot, but I believe the deal they have with Tesla is that supercharger users don't have to pay the normal parking fee regardless (it's in the airport's short-term lot).

Now, the supercharger configuration itself might be more of an issue; it's one of the old-school layouts, where the charging stands are all in one line against the back of the parking spots, requiring you to back in to use them. At some locations you'll find a single stand that's positioned in such a way where you can drive straight in and use it, but unfortunately that isn't the case at CHA. If you get there late at night or at another time when nobody's parked there you could conceivably pull up parallel to the stands, parking across all six parking spots, but for obvious reasons that's... less than optimal. :(

I'm willing to bet that the lot management won't be adverse to you leaving the trailer in an empty parking spot while you charge, but it couldn't hurt to try to get in touch with the airport to find out in advance.

Good luck on your trip!

The superchargers are behind an automatic gate that you pull a ticket from, which is normally what they use to charge you for your time spent in the lot (though I've never actually incurred a charge in the times I've charged there). I believe the gate that opens once you pull the ticket from the machine uses an inductive loop in the pavement to determine when you've passed through the gate; I've never tried passing through one of those with a trailer (perhaps you know from personal experience) but if the trailer is sufficient to appear as "more car" then the gate shouldn't shut on you.

I don't believe they normally deal with people carrying trailers in that lot, but I believe the deal they have with Tesla is that supercharger users don't have to pay the normal parking fee regardless (it's in the airport's short-term lot).

Now, the supercharger configuration itself might be more of an issue; it's one of the old-school layouts, where the charging stands are all in one line against the back of the parking spots, requiring you to back in to use them. At some locations you'll find a single stand that's positioned in such a way where you can drive straight in and use it, but unfortunately that isn't the case at CHA. If you get there late at night or at another time when nobody's parked there you could conceivably pull up parallel to the stands, parking across all six parking spots, but for obvious reasons that's... less than optimal. :(

I'm willing to bet that the lot management won't be adverse to you leaving the trailer in an empty parking spot while you charge, but it couldn't hurt to try to get in touch with the airport to find out in advance.

Good luck on your trip!
Moonwick, Thanks for your reply!

Reactions: Moonwick
New guy at the exit gate? Was charged one dollar for 20 minutes. The sign says the first 15 minutes are free and that's what the ticket machine to.d hi it should be. Worst location I've been to yet.
If that's your worst location ... you have the complete convenience of the airport!
What's your definition?
I would say the worst two I have been to are Macon and West Palm Beach

Charged there today. On the way out, I asked the guy at the exit gate on how it works and he said not payment required. Just feed you ticket to the machine and the system will recognize (he did not know how) it is a Tesla and the gate will open.

complete convenience of the airport!
I was travelling through and finding the chargers and dealing with the ticket was less convenient than other chargers I've used--not so easy off/on the highway. Maybe a quick supercharge after landing but otherwise I dont see a real use case for a quick charge in a long term lot.