Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cheektowaga, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged here last weekend on the way back from Zoar Valley (btw it's completely empty right now - a rare thing!). Arrived with 12% SoC after a long drive, so battery was warm. Model 3 LR AWD, only car there. Initially, the charge rate climbed to 158 kW, but by 25% I was at 110 kW and by 35% I was at just 95 kW - way below what my car normally pulls at v2 chargers. Tried a couple of other stalls with the same result. Went over to the old Buffalo SC on Transit Road and got my 140 kW without much taper below 50%.

Based on this experience and the number for reports of underwhelming charging rates here and on plugshare, I think something is not right with this charger.

• Informative
Reactions: YYZ-IAD
I charged here last weekend on the way back from Zoar Valley (btw it's completely empty right now - a rare thing!). Arrived with 12% SoC after a long drive, so battery was warm. Model 3 LR AWD, only car there. Initially, the charge rate climbed to 158 kW, but by 25% I was at 110 kW and by 35% I was at just 95 kW - way below what my car normally pulls at v2 chargers. Tried a couple of other stalls with the same result. Went over to the old Buffalo SC on Transit Road and got my 140 kW without much taper below 50%.

Based on this experience and the number for reports of underwhelming charging rates here and on plugshare, I think something is not right with this charger.
Did you set the Supercharger as your destination? It's my understanding doing that causes the Tesla to begin preconditioning the battery temperature with enough time to be able to accept the fastest charge rate when you plug it in. I don't recall exactly what the optimum battery temperature for charging is but it is higher than you might expect.

I rarely go under 20% - but yesterday I pulled into Salamanca with 17%. I was only one there -- and I had same experience -- low charge rate when usually Salamanca is fine. I'm thinking it might be battery management system that takes it easy on charging when we dip below 20% ???

I rarely go under 20% - but yesterday I pulled into Salamanca with 17%. I was only one there -- and I had same experience -- low charge rate when usually Salamanca is fine. I'm thinking it might be battery management system that takes it easy on charging when we dip below 20% ???
Are you NOA to the Supercharger because this is what causes the vehicle to prime the battery temperature for a maximum charge rate?

Arrived there today with 14%, pre-condition started because it was a scheduled charge location.

So...low level and pre-conditioning (basically the two requirements for a high charge rate). And it started me at over 1000 mi charge rate.

And, although I only used one slot, I hafta say it worked as expected.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Did you set the Supercharger as your destination? It's my understanding doing that causes the Tesla to begin preconditioning the battery temperature with enough time to be able to accept the fastest charge rate when you plug it in. I don't recall exactly what the optimum battery temperature for charging is but it is higher than you might expect.
I’ve owned my car for over 2 years and have driven it for over 60k miles, so I’m quite familiar with preconditioning :)

I'm thinking it might be battery management system that takes it easy on charging when we dip below 20% ???
No, I’ve seen the full 250 kW rates at single digits SoC.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson