Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chelan, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

I don’t know since when Tesla has a pin in Chelan, but I found a few documents from 2018 mentioning that Tesla was planning to install a Supercharging station there. No specific location was selected, while locations suggested were municipal buildings the town insisted the parking area was low in Chelan.

Council said it would further discuss the idea at a later town hall, but I didn’t find any further discussions on the town’s part.

https://cityofchelan.civicweb.net/document/15357/City Council - 28 Aug 2018.pdf?handle=1520E2024B6A44D6A8BFAFE974B05C5A (P. 102)

Tesla wants to install Tesla supercharging sites in the City of Chelan

I would suspect Tesla would have better success in Pateros or Brewster finding a business or city council who would give them the kind of land deal they require. I may be wrong, but it seems like they want to be able to use someone's property in return for paving or some small capital outlay while taking all the revenue from the charging.

I didn’t see that there was any mention of these documents. Should this thread be moved to the one you mentioned?
You’re right, it’s not in that thread, but I know I’ve seen that report posted by someone before. Probably in one of the current sc threads.

I’m there often, so I keep an eye out but haven’t seen anything yet.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
I would suspect Tesla would have better success in Pateros or Brewster finding a business or city council who would give them the kind of land deal they require. I may be wrong, but it seems like they want to be able to use someone's property in return for paving or some small capital outlay while taking all the revenue from the charging.
Tesla has stated that the Supercharger network is not being run as a profit center, meaning they don’t intend to make any money off of the whole operation. Personally I think that the SC rates I am paying are very reasonable given the capital investment being made by Tesla.

From the host municipality’s or business’ perspective, some rent for the land might be nice, but there is the benefit to them of the expected extra spending from people shopping or eating while waiting to complete their charging session. I don’t blame Tesla trying to get free rent on this basis, it’s to our benefit, as it keeps our SC rates low.

There do seem to be alternative cities further north that could and should be asked. I think their locale would be a better distance from Leavenworth, Burlington and even Osoyoos (if that ever comes to pass).

Reactions: Big Earl and Hebert
Yeah, Chelan was supposed to be getting a Supercharger for the last three years. I think the city doesn't want to give up any scarce parking.
I think Tesla should negotiate to get a few of the under utilized parking stalls at the north side of the Safeway gas station, or buy the corner Chevon station on Woodin Ave, which had a bad fire a few weeks ago.
The "Chevron" location "kills two birds with one stone"...get's rid of one of three old gas stations at the intersection and gets an EV / Supercharging lot in the heart of downtown Chelan along a major state highway route.

I just was looking at Tesla's list and it shows Chelan as "Coming Soon." I have a trip planned to the Pasayten and currently it's a bit of a stretch to get out there and back to Leavenworth, meaning I'll have to stop off at a L2 for a while. I'm guessing I shouldn't be holding my breath for "Coming Soon" to arrive.

Was listening to a local radio station and the city is looking into using one of the vacant lots owned by PUD for EV chargers. However, PUD does not like the idea of Superchargers because it only serves Tesla (that’s why the plan fell through a few years back when Tesla did their presentation to the city). Perhaps something will come of it, seeing that Tesla often installs other chargers at same location.

Reactions: bruce4000
Was listening to a local radio station and the city is looking into using one of the vacant lots owned by PUD for EV chargers. However, PUD does not like the idea of Superchargers because it only serves Tesla (that’s why the plan fell through a few years back when Tesla did their presentation to the city). Perhaps something will come of it, seeing that Tesla often installs other chargers at same location.

Tesla is now rolling out the ability to charge non-Teslas at Superchargers by way of a built-in adapter called MagicDock.

Reactions: bruce4000