Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chester, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the grey Richmond pin is still there. Does this mean there is more coming, or are they just "slow" in updating?

upload_2017-9-20_12-23-18.png

A bit of icing going on today...

View attachment 255836

Oh yeah, always a lot of icing going on at the Chester SC. Not really a problem at the moment because I've never seen more than 3 Teslas (myself included) at this SC, but could become more of an issue once the gigafactory gets over its battery production issues (TSLA down 7.12% today - ouch!).

I was listening to Talking Tesla the other day and they were talking about the idea of painting SC spaces red (similar to blue handicap spaces). Seems like a good idea because I honestly think (and actually know after talking to many locals at the Wawa) many people just don't understand what the SCs are actually used for. It's not like these are primo parking spots to begin with!

The signs allow parking for a short time by all vehicles ( I think 15 minutes). So unless the vehicle doesn't move than we really cannot complain unless in a Tesla only spot.

One of the cars was there for the 45mins I was there, no big deal, plenty of spots open, just going to turn into interesting parking I think once more Tesla's are on the road perhaps.

Yeah, I decided to try this one out on my trip down to Wilmington last weekend and there was an SUV ICE'ing one of the stalls. Was there when I arrived, was there when I left.

He had his hood propped open, I assume, because there was some failure in his vehicle so I didn't expect that he'd be on his way any time soon. Not really sure why he didn't choose one of the spaces on the other side of the air compressor as they are open parking. Perhaps it died at the pump and he just coasted in neutral backwards to the Supercharger area. But then again, perhaps I'm giving too much credit ;)

On the plus side, I got to enjoy a WaWa sub and meet a Tesla owner couple that lives nearby. Some girls also screamed out that they "Loved my Tesla" as they drove by :cool:

Stopped here today. The Wawa is still closed. I went across the street to the Italian restaurant. I arrived with under 40 miles of charge and Sylvia stated I needed to be there 50 minutes. The restaurant was decent and I was back to the car right on time.

Theres a portable restroom trailer on the side of the property, but the ladies in the temporary gas station booth refuses to let anyone use it. Charger beware...

Yeah, with the Wawa closed under renovation it is worth skipping this SC for now and heading up to the Glen Allen location. The Chester SC does have a 'pseudo' 7-11 across the street which I've been able to grab a drink and use the restrooms - however, you have to cross (i.e. run across) a pretty busy 6 lanes of traffic to get to it. Other than that, there's not many other options here within a mile radius.

The Wawa should be back open the 2nd week of March - I'll post an update when things are back to normal.

Thanks did not know, may make more sense to install one around 288 or the split of I 95 and I 85.(Petersburg area)
Prior to buying my model S last fall I was driving to FL on 95. I saw 2 rest areas south of DC with superchargers but can’t find them on any maps and I don’t remember whee they were. Anybody?

Prior to buying my model S last fall I was driving to FL on 95. I saw 2 rest areas south of DC with superchargers but can’t find them on any maps and I don’t remember whee they were. Anybody?
Sorry, but sounds like wishful misremembering. None of the stops south of DC are at rest areas. The only one close is the welcome center in Georgia. All of the stops are at Wawa, hotels, airports, outlets or restaurants.

I went here last week on a trip from NC to Washington DC and it was pretty busy with all 8 stalls occupied at one point in time. Wasn't really a fan of the place since there was only the Wawa and a small mom-n-pop Italian place across the road. A decently dressed vet came over and asked me for money while I was talking to another Tesla owner. The bathroom in Wawa was messy and small but they did have a little sub shop thing in the gas station that you can get fresh made sandwiches. I would recommend finding another place and not stopping here if you can make it to the Glenn Allan Supercharger on the north side of Richmond.

Reactions: SteelSully
I went here last week on a trip from NC to Washington DC and it was pretty busy with all 8 stalls occupied at one point in time. Wasn't really a fan of the place since there was only the Wawa and a small mom-n-pop Italian place across the road. A decently dressed vet came over and asked me for money while I was talking to another Tesla owner. The bathroom in Wawa was messy and small but they did have a little sub shop thing in the gas station that you can get fresh made sandwiches. I would recommend finding another place and not stopping here if you can make it to the Glenn Allan Supercharger on the north side of Richmond.

This SC is close to my work so I typically stop by a few times a month when I have some free time to charge & catch up on emails. I completely agree, if you have an extra 20 miles of range, go to the Glen Allen SC - which has 12 more stalls and a lot more stores within walking distance.

With that being said, this is normally a very low use SC - as I rarely see more that 1-2 Teslas here (if any). I was completely shocked last week Friday around 4-5PM to see it fully occupied for the first time ever. But then again I'm rarely there on weekends...

It's not the best SC by any means - just a busy WaWa, but I've found the locals to be very courteous (as far as not ICE'ing considering parking is limited, etc.) and have had many good conversations as well with those who were curious to learn more.