Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chicago IL (New City)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Operational!

Attachments

• 302CFE06-B8B1-4DAC-A5EF-50B999EA5F9B.jpeg
    302CFE06-B8B1-4DAC-A5EF-50B999EA5F9B.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 196
  • B629CEA7-4E4B-4A9D-ADF5-E8ABDED39851.jpeg
    B629CEA7-4E4B-4A9D-ADF5-E8ABDED39851.jpeg
    661.6 KB · Views: 161
Validation (with purchase, but no minimum spend) for 90 minutes at the Mariano’s supermarket. Take the elevation down to level 1 or 2. The easiest elevator is in the structure right next to the charger that is in the corner. Level 2 is the general supermarket, level 1 is the supermarkets “food court”. Also same free 90 minute validation at the Dick’s Sporting goods. For this take the elevator in the other structure (next to charger 1) and cross the outdoor courtyard to Dicks. Some of the restaurants in the development charge $2 for validation. All validation options are clearly listed at the entrance. Your best bet is to get something small at Mariano’s for the free 90-minute validation.

Great, @Pinkshirttuk. Thanks for the clear instructions.
You are welcome. Charged there yesterday. It’s a great location with an amazing view of the city. A hassle to have to drive up all the way to the roof of the structure (7th floor I think), but the bonus is the view and the fact that they should never be iced, as nobody ever uses the top parking floor. Much, much better than the Chicago 3030 N. Broadway City Super Charger.

When I was going to school in Chicago in the '70s, I stayed in Hyde Park, so I'm not familiar with the North side. What would you recommend that I should see and restaurants that I should visit when I'm in town?

That’s cool! I personally really enjoy Earl’s Kitchen which is in the New City development where the charger is. There are some nice restaurants on Halsted Street, just North of North Avenue. This is the Lincoln Park area. Wells Street in the Old Town neighborhood between Division and North Avenue is a great street to explore. But parking is really difficult there. Downtown Chicago and the West loop have great restaurant area’s, but parking is again harder and can be very pricy. The Spothero app is worth checking out as it has some great garage option parking downtown for about $10 for 4 hours. That’s much cheaper than the regular garage parking rate downtown. Street parking is hard to get and can costs up to $6.50 an hour, depending on what area you are in.
Cost & Hours – Chicago Parking Meters

You are welcome. Charged there yesterday. It’s a great location with an amazing view of the city. A hassle to have to drive up all the way to the roof of the structure (7th floor I think), but the bonus is the view and the fact that they should never be iced, as nobody ever uses the top parking floor. Much, much better than the Chicago 3030 N. Broadway City Super Charger.
These chargers may be iced in winter :)

I went tonight: it's quite a trip to get to the 7th level, but it's empty and it's quite the skyline view.
I think you get 2 hours at Marianos, they have a little device at the customer service desk and you can help yourself.
You get 15min to leave once you 'pay' at the parking machine.

Attachments

• 2018-08-03 20.51.25.jpg
    2018-08-03 20.51.25.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 2018-08-03 20.51.03.jpg
    2018-08-03 20.51.03.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: MarkoC and Acps110
I have not visited on a Saturday night, but the 4 times I have been during the day, it has been either empty or only one other car there. It will not be ICED as it is on the top 7th) floor of the parking structure away from the usual parking mayhem. Free validation at Mariano’s, which is open until 10pm. Not sure about validation after that time. There are some restaurants that might be able to validate for $2 or the movie theatre for $5/$6.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkoC
The parking structure can be busy on the weekend with the shops and the movie theater. And there's repairs going on for a long time now, so there's only one lane in some sections of the ramp.
The (urban) supercharger itself is not very active on the top level.

Guys need to define ICEd for the uninitiated

EV drivers should also be aware that not all charging spots are created equally. Some/many of them are also still designated as dual use for general parking with a specific time limit (e.g. anyone can park there for like 15 or 30 minutes, otherwise need to be charging). The signage will say if this is the case or not. Though beware that at sites with multiple chargers there are often a mix of "EV charging-only, at all times" and dual EVCharge/"General parking with time limit" spots. So, before you leave a note or confront the ICEV driver you should be sure that they've actually broken the rules by either taking a charging-only spot or parked longer than allowed for general parking. Of course, occasionally some ICEV drivers ("Jerks") go out of their way to park in those spots to which they're technically entitled even when there's lots of other open parking.

PS- Also note, charging spots are not dedicated parking spots for EVs, they are strictly for actual charging. If you're not going to charge while in the spot, park elsewhere.