Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chicago, IL - O’Hare International Airport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

A new Supercharger is under construction in Chicago near O’Hare International Airport (10909–10929 W Higgins Rd).
The news was first posted by @mdegner on Supercharge Info Forum on info from the Chicago Tesla Owners Group.

10 regular stalls, probably V2. Will update Supercharge Info.
DD94B79F-F6A9-44B6-8DE6-F61E779E965E.jpeg

A new Supercharger is under construction in Chicago near O’Hare International Airport (10909–10929 W Higgins Rd).
The news was first posted by @mdegner on Supercharge Info Forum on info from the Chicago Tesla Owners Group.

10 regular stalls, probably V2. Will update Supercharge Info.
View attachment 478666

It's actually 14 stalls. V2 chargers.

This is so different from most of the other new sites I’ve been watching. O’Hare already has pedestals in place, with a bunch of other work still to be done—at least paving. The new ones in CA and along TCH seem to make lots of progress, and then get stuck waiting for pedestals. Maybe V2 vs V3.

Thinking about it, Superchargers at airports make a lot of sense. Charge up and park. If you're picking up or dropping off, it's the best place to charge. It makes Tesla rental cars more practical too.

I would rather there just be a ton of 120V outlets in the parking garage at the airport. If you are going to be gone for a long time, the rate of charge shouldn't matter, if you are not going to be gone long then just be sure to not leave the car at low SOC and you will be fine for a couple days.

I would rather there just be a ton of 120V outlets in the parking garage at the airport. If you are going to be gone for a long time, the rate of charge shouldn't matter, if you are not going to be gone long then just be sure to not leave the car at low SOC and you will be fine for a couple days.

This will be very helpful for people picking up or dropping off that drive in from out of the local area.

Large airports such as O'Hare should have both types of charging obviously. The interesting thing about airports is that L2 charging is not super useful.
Most airports don't understand charging and throw up L2 charging stations without thinking about how they are used. Having a L2 charging station in a cell waiting lot does no good because you can only gain 5-10 miles of range in the time you spend waiting - it needs to be L3. Likewise, having L2 in a long-term parking garage is a waste since your car is fully charged in a matter of hours and then sits there for days doing nothing. L1 in long-term and L3 in short-term is the ideal mix to have.

The new parking structure F has a fair amount of L2 chargers and "priority ev" preferred parking spots, and it's covered (except the top level). Convenient for short trips, and same parking fees (I think $17 a day).

Hello, Everybody

I just stopped by this location and got some new pic. The superchargers have been finished but have not been powered on yet. I also saw 2 Tesla destination chargers with J1772 Plugs built-in which I have never seen before.

Attachments

• IMG_20200112_162636.jpg
    IMG_20200112_162636.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20200112_162713.jpg
    IMG_20200112_162713.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20200112_162811.jpg
    IMG_20200112_162811.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20200112_162818.jpg
    IMG_20200112_162818.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 143
Well that's cool. I know for the longest time Tesla was installing a couple Tesla chargers along with a Clipper Creek J1772 charger at locations in order to "sell" the business on the idea of putting in EV chargers (that were available to many different types of cars). You can go around and see evidence of this at just about every hotel in Custer, SD. But that new setup is rather cool. Though now I wonder if both plugs can be active at the same time... So many questions.