Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chicago, IL - South Canal Street

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprise!

upload_2018-2-2_9-7-16.png

So, this SC appears to be in a parking garage from what I can see on Google map street view. Can a local owner post from which street one can enter the garage and is there a charge levied by the garage.

Just used this one. Dicks Sporting Goods validated with no purchase but I doubt that will always work. Parking garage attendant didn't even seem to know it was up there and wasn't willing to validate me. Easy to find on the 5P(near top floor). 14 spots all open this evening. Worked perfectly

Was a couple of blocks from here for a swim meet at UIC over the weekend. Convenient location. Easy in & out, although it's on the 5th floor, so lots of 'round & 'round to get up there & also coming down. Starbucks & Panera across the street are handy.

Parking validation is problematic, and, frankly, a bit disappointing. We were there early in the morning & no stores were open. Spoke to a security guard who was so old he possibly witnessed the 1871 Chicago fire firsthand and made the guys in Grumpy Old Men look downright cheerful by comparison. He was not helpful at all. There's no attendant at the exit, so if you come on off hours, be prepared to pay $2 or $6 to charge.
IMG_0417.jpg

Because of my building restrictions and the sheer cost of installing charging in the garage of my condo, I have to use this Supercharger station as my sole source of charging. For those that have frequented this location, how is the availability? Thanks!

Because of my building restrictions and the sheer cost of installing charging in the garage of my condo, I have to use this Supercharger station as my sole source of charging. For those that have frequented this location, how is the availability? Thanks!
You should see if you can get a parking spot near a 110V outlet. I have a similar living situation and was able to get such a parking spot. It only adds 3.5 Rated Miles per hour to my Model S (would be a little more for a Model 3 I think), but topping up and adding 30-50 Rated Miles every night makes a big difference.

The other thing you can do is try to find public level 2 chargers near where you work or near some other place you visit frequently. Sometimes just plugging into something like this once a week can be enough so even if it's inconvenient, say 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from work, it can be worth the hike once a week.

I think you will find that sitting at the same supercharger every week (or possibly even more frequently) will get old quickly, so I recommend looking for other solutions. Sure there are nearby amenities, but going to the same places over and over again gets old!

I used a 110 outlet at a rental for 6 months. Most of the time the overnight charging more than covered what I used during the day.

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks! I don't think my garage has a 110v option unfortunately. Luckily, the Maxwell has a lot of shops and/or I can get some studying done in the car while I wait. Also, this is probably important to note in the beginning, I drive very little. I have a 3 year lease (turning it in soon and switching the Model 3) that I only drove 9k miles. I'm guessing I can get away with charging once or twice a month, outside of long road trips.

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks! I don't think my garage has a 110v option unfortunately. Luckily, the Maxwell has a lot of shops and/or I can get some studying done in the car while I wait. Also, this is probably important to note in the beginning, I drive very little. I have a 3 year lease (turning it in soon and switching the Model 3) that I only drove 9k miles. I'm guessing I can get away with charging once or twice a month, outside of long road trips.
There's vampire drain though even when you don't use it. It would be unusual for an entire parking garage to not have any 110V outlets. I would definitely hunt for those and see if any of them can reasonably be reached by the UMC before contacting property management about switching parking spots.

Or, you can just wait till you get the car and see if you think it's worth the effort or not.

In a pinch, you can also use the service center on Grand, they have 2 chargers, which can be used after business hours and on Sunday.
Otherwise the Broadway supercharger is not that far, free, with lots of shops and Marianos.