Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chico, CA (LIVE 18 Jun 2019, expanded 2021, 18 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't say its location until they formally submit an application. The location has been finalized and I'd expect to see a permit soon (month?). Its in a great spot, with good access to sr99 and connections to sr32 for folks heading up to Lassen/Lake Almanor area. I probably won't use it all that much, but its comforting to know that if I forget to charge and needed to head out of town unexpectedly, I can grab a quick charge to get to Sacramento or head up the hill to the lake without charging at home for 3 hours!

To be honest, I saw the 2018 date on the "Find Us" map for planned Tesla superchargers and thought no way we would have Chico's SuC by the end of the year, but this will be up and running before the fall! Cool to see Tesla hitting a planned date (even though its a wide 1 year window). A lot goes in to planning and installation of these stalls, like having to work with existing property owners, utility coordination, and the government.. .sheesh!

When I have the green light to share I'll be posting as soon as I get it. Sorry about the click bait heading! (Moderator note: thread title changed from what was originally posted)

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a little longer than I had hoped, but a permit has been accepted and under review for 14 Superchargers (expandable to 18) and 4 level 2 chargers at the Target Parking lot off 20th St. See attached. I'm backing off my absurd install date of being complete by this fall and hoping for the end of the year.
upload_2018-8-31_16-3-30.png

Took a little longer than I had hoped, but a permit has been accepted and under review for 14 Superchargers (expandable to 18) and 4 level 2 chargers at the Target Parking lot off 20th St. See attached. I'm backing off my absurd install date of being complete by this fall and hoping for the end of the year.
I see a Google Maps aerial photo but don’t see a link to the permit.

Tesla’s Find Us page still optimistically shows this location as being operational by the end of 2018.

3B94DFB3-F0F7-4F31-9ADE-04659CF4F945.jpeg

Slightly closer spacing between Vacaville and Chico (107 miles) than Vacaville and Corning (113 miles) but slower travel. Obviously more useful if coming through Sacramento (82 miles), and only if you're towing or have some other restriction on range.
I think it's mostly just to build out 99 north of Sac. It's a fairly major highway.

Slightly closer spacing between Vacaville and Chico (107 miles) than Vacaville and Corning (113 miles) but slower travel. Obviously more useful if coming through Sacramento (82 miles), and only if you're towing or have some other restriction on range.
From what I can tell, they haven't added any stalls that would allow a trailer to pull directly into a stall. Bummer because I could see using this to top off for the climb up to Lassen when towing.

Reactions: ohmman
From what I can tell, they haven't added any stalls that would allow a trailer to pull directly into a stall. Bummer because I could see using this to top off for the climb up to Lassen when towing.
It was my first thought, as I currently go through Corning for that. But pull through isn’t necessary. Unhitching isn’t terribly time consuming or difficult. I’ve become quite quick at it for Supercharger stops.

It was my first thought, as I currently go through Corning for that. But pull through isn’t necessary. Unhitching isn’t terribly time consuming or difficult. I’ve become quite quick at it for Supercharger stops.
Agreed, unhitching/hitching at Superchargers is much less of a hassle than I anticipated it would be. It’s even easier for me than it is for @ohmman since I don’t use weight distribution bars. And I just installed an electric tongue jack which can raise/lower my trailer tongue even faster than I can hand crank it. I think I can unhitch in about a minute, and hitch up in less than two minutes if my first attempt at backing up to position the hitch ball under the tongue is successful.

Since I don’t live in Sacramento I don’t anticipate using the Chico Supercharger, but I can’t rule it out.
The future Redding Supercharger could be helpful to you.

Yes, but SR99 through the Sacramento Valley is much prettier than Interstate 5 with fewer semis on the road. Moreover, during the summer months there are ample locations along 99 to grab some tasty produce at the roadside stands for fresh eating during our trips.

Chico to Susanville (and its anticipated Supercharger sometime in the 21st Century) is 100 miles. Northeast on highway 32 and then east on highway 36 over Fredonyer Pass is the route. I do not know if the elevation gain to Fredonyer Pass (5750 feet) from Chico (200 feet) is too much for a Model X with trailer in tow to surmount and arrive in Susanville without hypermiling up highway 32. It is all downhill to Susanville, and I guess the distance to be about 15-20 miles.

Reactions: Blup85
Since I was passing through Chico last Monday, I dropped into the shopping center hoping to see some progress - but I couldn't find any signs of construction activity. The smoke from the nearby fires was downright hazardous though, and a lot of people were wearing masks (best wishes for those who have lost so much...). Definitely a good use for bio weapon defense mode for those who have it (as for me, my HEPA filter running off an inverter worked well enough)! Seems doubtful there will be Superchargers up and running here this year considering they haven't even started construction yet.

Its waiting for approval after 2nd submittal/ minor comments. Fires have put everything on hold. A lot of Chico City resources are supporting the fires in Paradise and Magalia, but is informally approved at this point.
Very sad situation up there, total devastation of a community.