Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Childress,TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
Appeared on Supercharge.info.

Childress,TX

Interstates: none
US Numbered Highways (<= 5mi): US-62, US-83, US-287

US-62:

US-83
To: Shamrock, TX - 56.6 miles
To: Weatherford, OK (US-83, TX-209/OK-9, OK-30, I-40B, I-40) - 149 miles
From: Austin, TX (I-35, US-183/TX-183A, TX-279,TX-206, TX-36, I-20, US-83) - 371 miles

US-287
To: Arlington, TX (US-287, I-820, I-30 - 235 miles
From: Casa Grande, AZ (I-10, I-25, US-70, US-60, TX-86, US-287) - 822 miles

• Informative
Reactions: Beryl and jbcarioca
I just noticed this Supercharger on supercharge.info when I was inspecting the routes I have taken from Dallas. I was figuring that the Dallas <-> Colorado route would come way later. It definitely looks like Wichita Falls would be coming next to connect Dallas to Amarillo. Hopefully 87 from Amarillo to Raton would be soonish after?

Looks like 75 is the only highway leading out of Dallas without a Supercharger. I guess one would be needed around Sherman. It would be great to have a more direct way to Tulsa without having to go through Oklahoma City.

I just noticed this Supercharger on supercharge.info when I was inspecting the routes I have taken from Dallas. I was figuring that the Dallas <-> Colorado route would come way later. It definitely looks like Wichita Falls would be coming next to connect Dallas to Amarillo. Hopefully 87 from Amarillo to Raton would be soonish after?

Looks like 75 is the only highway leading out of Dallas without a Supercharger. I guess one would be needed around Sherman. It would be great to have a more direct way to Tulsa without having to go through Oklahoma City.

They could do one in Dalhart. That would work well. Trinidad is probably doable if you have an 85 or 90.

Funny enough I take US 75/69 into MO to visit family. Sherman or Dennison would work, and then on I-40 / US 69 between McAlester and Muskogee. And probably another at I-44 / US 69. Or at least one in Joplin (though Joplin might be pushing it in my S 60)

Why an odd number of Superchargers? Is there an unpaired stall with its own cabinet?

This is good location with a large convenience store and 24 hour bathrooms, just not a lot to eat within an easy walk.

Sort of surprise that Childress will be completed before the I10 / I 20 spots, but for the most part there is more traffic along 287. Looks like 287 to Wichita Falls/Childress/Amarillo is actually one of the busier non interstate roads.
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/tpp/traffic_counts/flowband/2014-traffic.pdf

Sort of surprise that Childress will be completed before the I10 / I 20 spots, but for the most part there is more traffic along 287. Looks like 287 to Wichita Falls/Childress/Amarillo is actually one of the busier non interstate roads.
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/tpp/traffic_counts/flowband/2014-traffic.pdf
Yes, it's the gateway road between most of the heavily populated portions of the state and the Northwest & West. It's an exciting addition! I still believe I-10 will happen this year, perhaps after Wichita Falls and the route to Brownsville are completed.

I have been watching the Supercharger map on the Tesla website since before I got my car in 12/14. Initially the West Texas IH-10 route was slated by end of 2015, then moved to its current under 2016 future locations, which I think we can all agree is extremely unlikely . No insult intended, but I am just flabbergasted that they would start construction on what has to be much less used Hwy 62, than complete IH-10.

I have been watching the Supercharger map on the Tesla website since before I got my car in 12/14. Initially the West Texas IH-10 route was slated by end of 2015, then moved to its current under 2016 future locations, which I think we can all agree is extremely unlikely . No insult intended, but I am just flabbergasted that they would start construction on what has to be much less used Hwy 62, than complete IH-10.
It's not just US-62, though. It's US-287 and US-83 as well. The AADT of US-287 on its own is higher than I-10.

Like I said just above you, I still think I-10 will be done this year, so we don't all agree (yet).

If you want to play with scenarios: Statewide Planning Map

Holy cow! I just happened to be checking Plugshare when this popped up.

I agree that the asymmetry of the placement between Dallas and Amarillo suggests there has to be another one closer to Dallas coming.

As far as 287 from Amarillo to Trinidad, I've done that several times, and posted the stats from my first trip last year (Click to see).

287 from Trinidad to Amarillo is easy, since it is downhill and usually also going with the prevailing wind. For Amarillo to Trinidad, I stop for 45 - 60 minutes at the free Dalhart RV park to top off while I check emails and make phone calls.

If I can get free I'll check on Childress this week.