Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chino Hills, CA (LIVE 21 Jul 2021, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Saturday.
IMG_20210508_184545.jpg

Is it only 5 stalls? I thought it was supposed to be a 16-stall installation?
From some of the earlier pictures, I counted 8 stalls of conduit and brown boxes for 8 stalls.
8 brown boxes would contain 16 pedestals. They just aren't all installed yet. This would also be consistent with the 4 supercharger cabinets we see onsite, so plans don't seem have changed. The most recent photo shows 5 installed pedestals and one empty base awaiting another, and there are more out of frame. (I see seven in a row in an earlier construction photo, and the site simulation from the city memo from post #61 shows at least 13 in a line.)

Reactions: kishkaru
Is Chino Hills considered a "metro area"? Will we get those horrid TOU supercharging rates? ($0.42/kWh peak, $0.21/kWh off-peak).
I'm not hopeful, considering the Rancho location has TOU enabled.
Why it is horrid? Do you want it to be $0.42/kWh all the time?

Electricity rates are going up. It was also approved to increase again. My house used to be $0.06 at night (12 years ago) and now it's $0.17. It was $0.11 cent when I first got my model 3 in 2018.

Lots of $$$ in those hills so expect the norm.
Why it is horrid?
Some of us don't live in a single-family home, and thus cannot charge at home over night at super-off-peak rates. The local supercharger is a lifeline. Don't forget that this new location is not just for the city of Chino Hills, but rather for all nearby communities in Chino, Pomona, etc, where there are many apartment dwellers like me.

Having to go to / sit at the supercharger to charge at off-peak hours (before 10am) is a major inconvenience. Even if the peak ends at 7pm, the superchargers are usually busy until 10-11pm at night at TOU enabled locations, because everyone rushes over in the evening at 7pm. Not having TOU and spreading out the charging load throughout the day is better for everyone.

My house used to be $0.06 at night (12 years ago) and now it's $0.17.
How would you feel if your electricity at home was $0.42/kWh, and you had no choice? Non-TOU enabled stations outside of CA metro areas are $0.21/kWh 24/7. There are still some remaining non-TOU locations in CA metro areas, but those are few and far in between. I did like the previous TOU schedule which was 4-9pm peak, the rest off-peak. This allowed me to go charge during the lunch hour or after lunch when there was less crowds.

Last edited:
Reactions: KBaoBao
Some of us don't live in a single-family home, and thus cannot charge at home over night at super-off-peak rates. The local supercharger is a lifeline. Don't forget that this new location is not just for the city of Chino Hills, but rather for all nearby communities in Chino, Pomona, etc, where there are many apartment dwellers like me.

Having to go to / sit at the supercharger to charge at off-peak hours (before 10am) is a major inconvenience. Even if the peak ends at 7pm, the superchargers are usually busy until 10-11pm at night at TOU enabled locations, because everyone rushes over in the evening at 7pm. Not having TOU and spreading out the charging load throughout the day is better for everyone.

How would you feel if your electricity at home was $0.42/kWh, and you had no choice? Non-TOU enabled stations outside of CA metro areas are $0.21/kWh 24/7. There are still some remaining non-TOU locations in CA metro areas, but those are few and far in between. I did like the previous TOU schedule which was 4-9pm peak, the rest off-peak. This allowed me to go charge during the lunch hour or after lunch when there was less crowds.

Thanks! Make sense about spreading it out. Without TOU, Tesla will just go with a price in between. I guess it depends on the provider. Some areas are $.036 to $.038/kWh to Supercharge. Also, not sure why some are $0.21/kWh, but it's probably being subsidized. For example, my work was going to put Ten 72KW superchargers and make it free (we'll pay for everyone's SC), but it never finalized due to landlord asking for month payment for parking. So if that went through maybe it'll show up as $0.21 and we pay the rest because at $0 it would be a zoo at work.

Also, what I am seeing since they introduced TOU is the Puente Hills mall chargers have way shorter lines (0 to 2 cars) on weekend afternoons. Seems like most paid SC users are taking advantage of the night rates. Since TOU, I have not waited in line though. Before it was 7+ cars deep waiting in line during the weekends.

BTW, SCE and PGH&E will keep increasing their prices to cover the lost they had due to wild fires or their own outdated equipment. They are raising prices to make back the fines they had to pay. I wouldn't be surprised to see $0.50+/kWh in the day and $0.25/kWh at night soon.

This allowed me to go charge during the lunch hour or after lunch when there was less crowds.

Also, everyone will have the same idea. I had that idea when the Santa Monica SC was opened. I went there to charge for lunch and it's 10-12 cars deep. I changed to mornings before 9am,m and always have spots. It's full by 10am and impossible to charge by lunch.

Reactions: kishkaru
PH mall is one of the worst as far as evening wait.
PH mall location is the worst supercharger location I've ever been to. Parking lot is hard to navigate (including waiting spots), the number of charging stalls are severely undersized for the demand, and to make it worse, they have the slowest possible superchargers at 72kW!

I only ever charged there once, and I hated how everyone waiting in their cars directly across from you, staring at you like vultures while you charge. It's a super uncomfortable situation for everyone.

I never went back there again, and instead opted to drive further to the Rancho location. Once Chino Hills opens up, I expect some demand from the Rowland/Diamond Bar areas to trickle here.

I wouldn't be surprised to see $0.50+/kWh in the day and $0.25/kWh at night soon.
Yeah, unfortunately that's where I'm expecting it's headed too. The original TOU off-peak rate was $0.25/kWh. So I was surprised when the new rate was only $0.20/kWh (which is now since raised to $0.21/kWh). I think they'll slowly raise the rates so it matches the old off-peak rate, while they also get more $ from the peak rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: whisperingshad
Also, what I am seeing since they introduced TOU is the Puente Hills mall chargers have way shorter lines (0 to 2 cars) on weekend afternoons. Seems like most paid SC users are taking advantage of the night rates. Since TOU, I have not waited in line though. Before it was 7+ cars deep waiting in line during the weekends.
I've noticed that as well, watching the little red bubbles on the display during the daytime. There seems to be more open stalls during daytime across all superchargers.

Tesla gave out 1 year of free supercharging to end of year delivery customers last year, 2020.
Once those people are gone, the only people left using the supercharger at peak hours will be:
1) folks on roadtrips,
2) old S/X customers with free unlimited supercharging,
3) people crazy enough to pay $0.50/kWh (or whatever the peak rate will be by the end of this year) and/or poor souls who did not check the rates before charging.

To be clear: I'm not against TOU at superchargers, and you can see from above that it does have its benefits. But the hours need to be adjusted to be something more reasonable than 10am-7pm (9h), but realistically 10am-10pm (12h) due to the rush at 7pm. Spread out the load! The peak demand on the grid is from 5pm-10pm (5h).

Anyway, I think we've gone way off topic now. :)

Last edited:
This been said before in this thread, but I want to add that this Chino Hill charger is at the worst possible location. There isn't any room to form lines because this parking lot is always packed. It's narrow and people drive like crazy down the middle. People always get into my lane and almost hitting me.

However, more chargers are welcomed to spread out the wait. Diamond Bar, City of Industry, and Brea are coming on line this year as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverSp33d3r