Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chula Vista, CA (LIVE 4 Aug 2020, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No change in the last 2 weeks. Site waiting on stalls and cabinets. Photos by Simply Amazing 100% Electric on PlugShare
C1B6A8B8-3D81-4753-96CA-2E8044A86CE6.jpeg
F30865EF-D94B-4A5F-8478-F5EB85866E6C.jpeg
8154E9E7-3F76-46D3-86F1-5D0357B741D8.jpeg

No change in the last 2 weeks. Site waiting on stalls and cabinets. Photos by Simply Amazing 100% Electric on PlugShare View attachment 480789View attachment 480790 View attachment 480791

The crew that did the initial work at this site made an off the record comment that the rest of the equipment needed to complete this site would not arrive until after the New Year. I certainly hope work continues soon, but not holding my breath until 2020. There are numerous locations in CA that are in this same state of incompletion waiting on V3 equipment.

Are we sure there are only 12 Supercharger stalls? There appears to be conduits for 4 Supercharger V3 cabinets. That should support 16 stalls. Now that the underground construction is complete, it should be pretty easy to count the installed pedestal bases.

Are we sure there are only 12 Supercharger stalls? There appears to be conduits for 4 Supercharger V3 cabinets. That should support 16 stalls. Now that the underground construction is complete, it should be pretty easy to count the installed pedestal bases.

I counted 12 oval shaped Tesla pedestals and 2 of these rectangular (below) bases which I am guessing will service the 4 chargepoint stalls = 16 total stalls. All of the conduit is already installed and the parking stalls re-paved. Could that 4th cabinet be for the 4 Chargepoint stalls? Can you confirm V3 Superchargers from what you see?

2B1974F4-95B6-4367-BF5D-8746A4AE7FE6.jpeg
141A7710-46E0-477E-B15D-60593BBDF44A.jpeg

Last edited:
I counted 12 oval shaped Tesla pedestals and 2 of these rectangular (below) bases which I am guessing will service the 4 chargepoint stalls = 16 total stalls. All of the conduit is already installed and the parking stalls re-paved. Could that 4th cabinet be for the 4 Chargepoint stalls? Can you confirm V3 Superchargers from what you see?
The conduit size is too different between the ChargePoint L2's and the Superchargers. Besides, the earlier picture of the paper on the distribution cabinets shows that the ChargePoints are powered from one of those cabinets that has a built-in transformer to step down one 480V L-L phase to 240V to a breaker panel for the L2 stations.

There are 4 groups of large conduits in the ground. The 4th set must go somewhere. The V3 cabinets use 10 conduits - 4 large ones that go to 4 pedestals, 5 medium conduits that go to the distribution cabinets (3 phase, neutral, ground), and one small conduit used for communication. Maybe the last 4 stalls will be installed later.

Yes definitely V3. Since the 12 bases are confirmed, the extra set of conduit that miimura was commenting about is therefore likely for "future proofing". I.e. so that they can easily expand and add 4 more supercharger stalls at a later date. The conduit for the L2 stalls is something else.

The conduit size is too different between the ChargePoint L2's and the Superchargers. Besides, the earlier picture of the paper on the distribution cabinets shows that the ChargePoints are powered from one of those cabinets that has a built-in transformer to step down one 480V L-L phase to 240V to a breaker panel for the L2 stations.

There are 4 groups of large conduits in the ground. The 4th set must go somewhere. The V3 cabinets use 10 conduits - 4 large ones that go to 4 pedestals, 5 medium conduits that go to the distribution cabinets (3 phase, neutral, ground), and one small conduit used for communication. Maybe the last 4 stalls will be installed later.

Yes definitely V3. Since the 12 bases are confirmed, the extra set of conduit that miimura was commenting about is therefore likely for "future proofing". I.e. so that they can easily expand and add 4 more supercharger stalls at a later date. The conduit for the L2 stalls is something else.

I went back to take a look at my pictures when they trenched and laid conduit about a month ago. The first picture below shows conduit for 6 stalls to the left of the light pole. The second picture shows conduit for 10 stalls on the other side of the light pole. The conduit for those last 6 stalls are now completely paved over with no sign of conduit underneath. At least we know this Supercharger Station can be expanded to 16 stalls at a later date. Thanks for the assistance!

7926FFFE-801F-482C-B901-8F677A7197DC.jpeg

5180F22A-C0C4-46A4-A10A-74C1F97FB7F5.jpeg

Conduit for 4 Expansion stalls are buried at these stalls and are not visibly seen. With the meteoric rise in sales of the Model 3 and soon Model Y, Tesla should expand this site from 12 to 16 stalls since it is already plumbed and ready to go. Fashion Valley is already overcrowded, so hopefully Chula Vista, Escondido, La Jolla and San Ysidro Supercharger Stations are built soon.

Chula Vista Supercharger 2.jpg
Expansion.jpg

Last edited:
There are a good number of restaurants/fast food in this Eastlake Village Marketplace and directly across the street to the south and east - all within a 5 minute walk. This should be a popular Supercharger location for those looking to grab a bite to eat or drink.

Eastlake Village Marketplace:
Islands fine burgers & drinks
Bento & Noodles
Jamba Juice
Starbucks
Luna Grill
Panda Express
Subway
Joe & Ernie's Pizzeria
Cold Stone
Wendy's
Hanu Korean BBQ
Poki One N Half

Across the street (south):
McDonalds
Arby's
IHOP
Chipotle
Patxi's Pizza
Pokebay
Kuhikuhi Shave Ice
Panda Chef
Pansang's Filipino Cuisine
The Flame Broiler
L&L Hawaiian Barbecue
Baskin Robbins Ice Cream
Papagayos Grill and Cantina

Across the street (east):
Jack in the Box
Krispy Kreme
Donas Bakery
Frutiza Juice Shop
Hector's Mariscos
Jersey Mikes
Little Caesars Pizza
Epic Wings

Eastlake.jpg

Last edited:
The Tesla heat map suggests the highest density of cars in the Otay Ranch Town Center / Millenia section of Chula Vista. Locating the Chula Vista Supercharger Station on the south side of Otay Ranch Town Center depicted below would be the best utilization of this empty parking lot and would service the growing Millenia development as well as the border traffic traveling through the Otay Mesa checkpoint and the 125 freeway. Alternatively, if the Tesla relationship with Target is in effect, the Target/Lowes parking lot at Eastlake Parkway and Otay Lakes Rd has two prime locations for a Supercharger Station. Both these location have easy access and plenty of dining options. If Tesla goes this route, the anticipated San Ysidro Supercharger Station should probably be located near the I-5 border crossing so that both ports of entry are covered. Hoping that construction on these South Bay Superchargers can start sometime this year as promised. Thoughts?

View attachment 446959

View attachment 446960

View attachment 446972
Interesting.

I always thought the most logical and convenient location would be Plaza Bonita - its a pretty big mall right off the I805 and 54. Easily accessible from I5 as well.

This eastlake location is a little off's way - the only "fast" way would be via 125 which is a toll road, otherwise you would have to take Telegraph Canyon / Otay Lakes road for a few miles.

Although The majority of Teslas in CV are located in EastLake / Otay Ranch, most of the houses have garages so i would think they can charge at home.

/shrug
I was so happy to learn there would be a Supercharger so close to my house at the Target center. In the Oct 30, 2019 aerial picture from Axtrader, I can see my roof. I then thought, "wait, I have a charger in my garage!" This will be great for distance travelers and for residents without garages. I also see this as great marketing for Tesla. A line of charging Teslas will sell more Teslas. And the more electric cars replacing ICE cars, the better. If it's a V3, I might have use of them since my home could only accommodate installing a Nema 10-30, so usually 19 mph charging. I come home often from LA at 2 AM and if I need to leave early enough the next day, the faster charging would be much appreciated. :)

Reactions: Axtrader
Don’t think this has been covered, but according to the Tesla Supercharger map another location is coming in San Ysidro, I wonder if it would be in that outlet mall by the border. Has anyone come across construction or any indication of a supercharger in that area?

Don’t think this has been covered, but according to the Tesla Supercharger map another location is coming in San Ysidro, I wonder if it would be in that outlet mall by the border. Has anyone come across construction or any indication of a supercharger in that area?
I think @Axtrader works there. I think he has lobbied for a Supercharger at the border line mall.

If you want to start a new thread specifically for that possible future Supercharger location you are welcome to do so, since it is on Tesla’s map. This thread is about the Chula Vista location. Thanks.

Miimura... do you think SDGE will size the transformer for the full 16 X 250kw stalls or will they size for the initial 12? I ask the question because all of the San Diego Supercharging locations have been suffering from reduced output recently and with the first instance of V3, the expectation there should be good performance above 117kw V2. What size transformer for a 12 or 16 V3 stalls?