Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chula Vista, CA (LIVE 4 Aug 2020, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
03573807-F668-4C80-B882-6C28F6A0EF4B.jpeg
BB43D05D-896D-47EA-AEF3-3DFDCAF00DAC.jpeg

Incremental work yesterday. Extended the sign pole and added the Handicap signage indicating a Van Accessible dedicated stall. The stall still needs blue paint. CORVID-19 has delayed inspections so will need to wait to reopen the city government before this site is completed.

View attachment 550625

Thursday June 11.
The city inspectors still probably want a look before SDGE drops the transformer in place. Cross your fingers that something can happen by July 4th.

... and this is why California is so difficult to do business in. MANY layers of Red Tape with MULTIPLE agencies each having discretionary power to stop a project.

Power is on...A few more days and the site should be commissioned...

I'll be very interested in watching the charging speeds...

12 stalls x 250 kW each (momentary max, but not all cars will charge that fast). Transformer rating is 1500 kVA, though...
That 1500 kVA is plenty as utilities tend to be comfortable using coincidence factors as low as 50% when planning for loads on a distribution feeder and even lower at times (basically 100 percent coincidence factor would mean all the loads peak at the same time while a lower number means simultaneous loads are less likely to have coincident peaks).

It would be a highly unlikely scenario for 12 Model 3s or Ys to arrive at the same time with the same state of charge and all trying to pull 250 kW simultaneously. Even in that highly unlikely scenario the power electronics within the supercharger would simply not allow it and would limit the output.

• Helpful
Reactions: SR-75
@tij664
Coincidence factors for EV charging have been discussed (I work for the utility), but there is some reluctance to use the same factors as other loads because EV chargers do fill up and max out (just look at Fashion Valley's chargers).

@TerranApart
I haven't been there to study the nameplate labels and the layout, but if your numbers are correct then I don't see how these units can get close to 250 kW with a few cars there. I'll have to do some more reading about them...

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak