Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chula Vista, CA (LIVE 4 Aug 2020, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@tij664
Coincidence factors for EV charging have been discussed (I work for the utility), but there is some reluctance to use the same factors as other loads because EV chargers do fill up and max out (just look at Fashion Valley's chargers).

@TerranApart
I haven't been there to study the nameplate labels and the layout, but if your numbers are correct then I don't see how these units can get close to 250 kW with a few cars there. I'll have to do some more reading about them...
He's right. Each cabinet can only take 350kVA from the grid, but they are also DC interconnected with any cabinet taking up to 575kW DC from other cabinets on top of its own AC draw. If you happened to have 4 cars nearly empty plug into the same cabinet, they could all get up to ~222kW at the same time. Of course, they are betting on people arriving at different times with different amounts of possible draw, so 1050kVA for 12 stalls is usually enough.

BTW, isn't this the site that has conduits for a 4th cabinet and 4 more stalls that are not installed? 1300kVA would be a better utilization of the 1500kVA transformer.

Is this up and running? Sure is running on government time...... Must be getting paid by the hour! :) This is joking but sadly partially true.

Hello Scott, and welcome to the San Diego EV community. Thank you for your first Post and we look forward to many, many more. Please update your profile and Signature with whatever info you wish to share, such as the Tesla Model you own, etc.

Side note: Since our new MY is here I want to use this Supercharger just to see how fast it will charge. We only pay $0.20 per kWh at home so most of our charging will be there, but our MS has Free Unlimited Supercharging so we plan to continue taking her on all our trips.

How will we be billed for Supercharging on the MY and at what rate? Per kWh, minute, etc. If per minute does the rate per minute change as the charge rate slows down? It is nice to have free charging so I have never had to think about this.

I was there on Tuesday, 7/21/20 and so was a team from Tesla. A "birdie" told me it would still be a few weeks before it opened. Reply to this space if youi're interested in attending a Grand Opening celebration. It will be on a weekend day, not necessarily opening day. Also, check San Diego Tesla Owners/Eastlake on FB for more info.

I was there on Tuesday, 7/21/20 and so was a team from Tesla. A "birdie" told me it would still be a few weeks before it opened. Reply to this space if youi're interested in attending a Grand Opening celebration. It will be on a weekend day, not necessarily opening day. Also, check San Diego Tesla Owners/Eastlake on FB for more info.
I don’t follow Facebook but I would like to attend.

Thanks

Fred

I'd be interested in going as well. Please let me know. Thanks.

131D4FDD-D407-4DC6-BD49-B9E641A27FA6.jpeg

4B39D79C-74C0-4D13-8876-EF06D6E1EE20.jpeg

I drove up and nobody was there so I was skeptical. But I plugged in and she is on!

I drove up and nobody was there so I was skeptical. But I plugged in and she is on!

I am pulling 129 kw. This Chula Vista Supercharger is still not on the Tesla map as active yet but a couple of other Model 3s are plugged in and pulling power.

Thanks for the verification, Axtrader. I've marked this location as open on supercharge.info.