Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clare, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
La Conner, WA
I'm starting a thread here for Clare, Michigan. @DeadHead616 started a post in the charging infrastructure section inquiring about the progress of Clare. @maciaf9 responded with the city permits.

Anyone know if the Supercharger in Clare, MI is operational? Last update I saw was that a permit was issued and Tesla expected it to be open by “late 2018”, but it still doesn’t show on the supercharger map.
I live near GR and drive to Higgins Lake halfway often so this would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance.

8 Stalls (120 kW) to be put in at The Doherty Hotel
604 N. McEwan St.
GPS: 43.820426, -84.766734

http://www.cityofclare.org/government/bc/commissionpackets/101518/10.15.18 CM Report.pdf

The above is stating that the Planning/Zoning/Design review was passed/approved in early October 2018. Clare doesn't publicly list their building permits online, so no data on whether they've already applied for those yet. So anyone in the area should go scope the Doherty Hotel's eastern parking lot out to see whether there are any signs of construction.

@BlueShift @Chuq

Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm starting a thread here for Clare, Michigan. @DeadHead616 started a post in the charging infrastructure section inquiring about the progress of Clare. @maciaf9 responded with the city permits.
Just as a note, that was part of the pre-permitting development process. It was design approval from the city's Downtown Development Authority-- presumably part of the Planning/Zoning approval process for building in downtown area of Clare. It's not clear whether that constitutes all the Planning/Zoning approvals needed prior to filing for an actual building permit or not. And, from what I've been able to find online, Clare doesn't publish their building permits. So, we might not get more info prior to someone seeing the site in construction.

Just as a note, that was part of the pre-permitting development process. It was design approval from the city's Downtown Development Authority-- presumably part of the Planning/Zoning approval process for building in downtown area of Clare. It's not clear whether that constitutes all the Planning/Zoning approvals needed prior to filing for an actual building permit or not. And, from what I've been able to find online, Clare doesn't publish their building permits. So, we might not get more info prior to someone seeing the site in construction.
But isn’t the location definite? For it should then be on Supercharge Info.

But isn’t the location definite? For it should then be on Supercharge Info.
It's sort of a grey area. I don't think supercharge.info has a stated policy on what pre-permitting documentation constitutes "sufficient evidence" for a blue "permit" dot. Certainly they've issued dots to sites on similar info in the past. And most sites that get through the Planning/Zoning reviews will turn into actual supercharger sites. Some won't (but the same is true even of some sites with actual building permits). I think this one is probably pretty safe--which is why I tagged BlueShift and Chuq in my original post in the Charging forum. I would be even more confident if I knew for a fact that the "design review" from the source document encompassed all of the Planning/Zoning approvals necessary, though.

Last edited:
Like the permit searches I did late November: Renfrew, Ignace, and Nipigon, all got added and no construction will happen until Spring. Speaking of permits, I decided to create a permit document which should facilitate permit searching. Feel free to add your share

@emupilot beat both myself and Blueshift to this one :)

But so that I can make a useful contribution to this thread, supercharge.info policy is whatever there is a specific plan for a specific location (i.e. an address - not a town/city) and it depends what the "local" policy in the area is. e.g. in the USA, building laws are very strict and there is a permit for pretty much any change to any site. There's always a permit for something like a supercharger. This isn't always the case in other countries. In Australia for example, many superchargers never required a development application to be submitted. Some were identified by other items in council minutes, particularly when they were on public land, but often it's just an announcement by the site host (or a Tesla owner somewhere knowing someone and sharing the info - it's a relatively small community here in Aus!)

That's a pretty detailed complete plan ... for one thing, it's good to see that they've approved all 8 slots as "Tesla Vehicle Charging Only"!

It's a nice "fill-in" location, eliminating the need for a long charge in Lansing with a side-step through Cadillac when I'm coming north!

I’m assuming no one is passing through Clare in the immediate future? We’re headed back up towards Higgins Lake in a couple weeks, if no one has reported by then I’ll drive the hotel lot and see if I can find anything.

PS: Thanks for all the info, follow up, and starting a dedicated thread.

PPS: Coming home today, I noticed a Model 3 in the driveway 3 houses down from mine. I’d go say hi, but he flies an Ohio State flag so he’s on his own.

Spotted earlier this week. Station appears to be close to completion. Sadly seems like Clare will only get v2 Superchargers.

IMG_20190401_154928.jpg
IMG_20190401_154944.jpg
IMG_20190401_155107.jpg
MVIMG_20190401_154910.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Telsa's map places the location pin smack-dab in the middle of Cops and Doughnuts. When I showed it to one of the owners, he thought that it was funny and added, "Maybe they will want to buy a doughnut and coffee, before we send them to the other side of the Doherty Hotel."
Tesla's map places their grey "Coming Soon" pins in wherever Google Maps puts pins for the jurisdiction in question. So, in this case, wherever Google puts the pin if you ask it for directions to "Clare, MI". Besides the fact that it is showing they'll put chargers somewhere in Clare, it has no connection to the actually planned spot for them. If the supercharger were being built over by Buccilli's pizza, Tesla's map would show their grey pin in the exact same place it is now. It's pure coincidence that in this particular instance that pin location happens to be very close to the actual charger location. When it comes to future locations, Tesla's map is only good for knowing what city, town, or neighborhood to expect activity in. Once the supercharger is officially open/operational and it gets a red pin, the map will be updated to show the true location.

• Informative
Reactions: akhafagi and Chuq