Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clare SA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprise :)

Clare Valley Wine, Food and Tourism Centre
8 Spring Gully Rd
Clare SA 5453

From the Clare & Gilbert Valley Councils's minutes of their 7 August 2017 meeting:

https://www.claregilbertvalleys.sa....name=7 August 2017 Special Budget Meeting.pdf

3.2 Clare Valley Hutt Project Inc – Request to Install a Vehicle Supercharger at Clare Valley Wine Food and Tourism Centre.
325 -17

Moved: Cr Calvert
Seconded: Cr Perry

That Council approves the request from Clare Valley Hutt Project Inc to install Tesla Supercharger at the Clare Valley Wine Food and Tourism Centre property in accordance with the Lease to occupy and at Lot 136 Corner Horrocks Highway and Spring Gully Road.

CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY

I suspected it may have been destination chargers, but a search for the agenda of the same meeting shows the documentation from Tesla about the supercharger network that we have seen in previous council documents.

No indication of how many stalls, but Keith is 4 so I expect this will be about the same. Plans don't show that much detail. Someone could possible decode the electrical plans on pages 125-126 of the agenda PDF above.

It may not surprise people that Clare is between Adelaide and the Jamestown big battery site :)

It's also only a ~25km detour if travelling between Adelaide and Port Augusta, and a similar detour on the way to Broken Hill

It is an interesting choice in that regard... Slightly more inconvenient for both, but more convenient that having it on the opposite main highway to the one you are travelling on. i expected the next site north of Adelaide to be on the Augusta Highway.

Wow.. all that is needed is Keith, and this one, and you'll be able to drive from Bundaberg to Broken Hill, Woomera or Kimba purely via superchargers. (Assuming your vehicle can comfortably do 400km per hop. Admittedly the Broken Hill trip isn't the most direct route :) )

Reactions: RichardMcN
It is an interesting choice in that regard... Slightly more inconvenient for both, but more convenient that having it on the opposite main highway to the one you are travelling on

I had a play with numbers a while ago, to see where I would put superchargers between Perth and Adelaide (using 160km-250km spacing)

I had Clare as my last stop before Adelaide, specifically because it was a good compromise between the two main highways leading North.
Also, good wine country... ;)

btw great find, Chuq!

Clare is also 200km from Port Augusta which makes this a likely next convenient supercharger location

Yeah Port Augusta would be next, it's the next convenient stop on the way North towards Coober Pedy, Alice Springs & Darwin and also opens up travel to the Eyre Peninsula and (eventually) the Nullarbor :D

Reactions: RichardMcN
The more I look at this, the more it looks like a clever tactical location.

Yes, it is +25km further than going directly up the A1 or A32... but let's assume that both Adelaide and Port Augusta will get a supercharger in the long run:

- Someone driving from Adelaide can skip Clare and go to Port Augusta (direct route 307 km)

- Someone driving from Keith towards Port Augusta can skip Adelaide and go to Clare - (Keith to Clare 332 km) and the entire Keith to Port Augusta route is only 5 km longer going through Clare than not. (523 km vs 518 km)

- The Clare location enables access to Broken Hill (for most vehicles - the gap is 395 km). While they could have built something in Peterborough (for example), it would have been solely for Broken Hill and it would come at the expense of a site somewhere else.

- I'll repeat and expand on what I said earlier, if this site becomes active after Keith and before Adelaide, compare:
- 400 km from Keith - barely gets you to Crystal Brook or Jamestown
- 400 km from Clare is huge - Kimba, Cowell, Woomera, Leigh Creek and Broken Hill

No indication of how many stalls, but Keith is 4 so I expect this will be about the same. Plans don't show that much detail. Someone could possible decode the electrical plans on pages 125-126 of the agenda PDF above.

315kVA transformer is enough for 4 stalls but not for 6.

having said that, standard sizes are 200kVA then 315kVA, so if it were to be 2 stalls, they'd also use a 315kVA sub.

Assumption is that it's a dedicated sub for the supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: mike_j and Chuq
This is now on the Tesla supercharger map but the location looks like a placeholder that does not match the address above. 33°50'54.6"S 138°37'05.4"E

Find Us | Tesla Australia

IMG_0355.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: srwx