Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
agree... with the winter weather chaos here and skilled labor across state/ contractors being super tight ... i don't see this getting fast tracked. should be fine for Q2 opening though and just in time for summer vacation time in Colorado.

also: this is a standalone SC and not tied to the opening of a new restaurant/gas station like in Grapevine (DFW area) where there's pressure to get the SC up and running for when the rest opens

A little progress today. Some new bollards set in concrete to protect each station. Doesn’t look like much else this week.
5FA095BE-F8F1-417A-90C1-899EB6118DAB.jpeg

I’d sure like this supercharger to be up and running by mid April for my trip to Colorado Springs. Even the Trinidad > Amarillo leg can be a little dicey if the weather doesn’t cooperate. I check this thread almost every day looking for updates.

As long as you drive a 300+ miles rated Tesla the Trinidad-Amarillo leg is nothing to sweat. Juice up nicely in Trinidad and once you are over Raton pass is constant downhill until just before Amarillo. Around Boys ranch it's some minor hills up and down but nothing which will kill your battery. if for some reason you hit stiff winds and range drops... take the route over Dumas and fill up a tad at the Destination charger at one of the hotels there.

• Informative
Reactions: wjax
As long as you drive a 300+ miles rated Tesla the Trinidad-Amarillo leg is nothing to sweat. Juice up nicely in Trinidad and once you are over Raton pass is constant downhill until just before Amarillo. Around Boys ranch it's some minor hills up and down but nothing which will kill your battery. if for some reason you hit stiff winds and range drops... take the route over Dumas and fill up a tad at the Destination charger at one of the hotels there.
The last time we did that leg, we left Trinidad with a 95% SOC and rolled into Amarillo with 6%. I never really considered that much of a head wind on a downhill run. The Teslas I saw driving west all seemed happy!

Heh, while I mostly share your sentiment, the construction for it has begun so unless there are more weather delays I bet this opens up at latest by May 1st.

(I also am driving through there in June and need it to be open)🤞🏼

There are several others I've been keeping an eye on that appear to be completed but haven't opened for more than two months. I'm not sure what they're waiting on but I could have been using them already.

Theres probably only a handful of Tesla employees that commission superchargers through out the US.

I see the commissioning convo going like this....

Mike in CA: *Lets see what’s next on the list...Clayton? NM? ”Where TF is Clayto NM?Oh hell no...” *Calls Mark in FL*

Mark in FL: “Where is it?

Mike: “Somewhere in New Mexico..”

Mark: “Mexico?!”

Mike: “NEW Mexico!”

Mark: *Looks at 80 degrees and Spring break rolling in.* “l dunno man I’m pretty busy here..”

Mike: ”Do you need help?”

Mark: ”Sure common over! Let the FNG handle Crayon, NM”

Mike: ”It’s Clayton.”

Mark: ”Whatever, I’ll see ya here in a few days...”

Well lots of progress in a week. We drove our Model 3 Performance with a rooftop box from Nacogdoches Texas to Glenwood Springs Colorado and back this week, really were hoping for this supercharger to be finished. Looks like a few more weeks!View attachment 643701
How did your M3P fare without the Clayton Supercharger? I'll be rocking the same setup in June (this should be done by then though) but I'm kind of curious how your drive between Trinidad and Amarillo was.

Well lots of progress in a week. We drove our Model 3 Performance with a rooftop box from Nacogdoches Texas to Glenwood Springs Colorado and back this week, really were hoping for this supercharger to be finished. Looks like a few more weeks!

How did your M3P fare without the Clayton Supercharger? I'll be rocking the same setup in June (this should be done by then though) but I'm kind of curious how your drive between Trinidad and Amarillo was.
We stayed in Dumas going up and coming back to cut the distance down.

The journey from Dumas to Trinidad was tight as expected but still pulled it off, with a significant cross/headwind.

We left Trinidad headed to Dumas with 95% charge and had a 17mph headwind the entire way, made it to Dumas with 11% remaining.

I can't wait for the Clayton supercharger, it will definitely make the journey much quicker and more enjoyable.

FWIW: We were running Vredestein Snow Tires on 18" Fast EV01 wheels.