Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
imho: Until they can maintain 250kw for the majority of the charging session (10-60%+), the difference in time between v2 and v3 isn’t worth the upgrade.
That's because you probably haven't recognized the true improvement. If you're looking for a straight speed boost, you're right that due to the battery taper there's not really that much of a difference between V2 and V3 supercharging--maybe you save 3-4 minutes if your battery is in perfect condition to take max charge and you only charge in the bottom half of the battery. However, the major advantage is to throughput of busy locations. When all/most of the stalls at a station are being used and you'd otherwise be forced to share power, the V3 locations have a significant advantage because available power can be directed to any stall at any time. This maximizes charging speeds for every car that plugs in. This is in contrast to V2 stations where you need to get lucky and happen to pick a stall where the paired car was already deep into their taper. So, the speed advantage isn't really that the V3 stations can put out up to 250 kW, it's that when you plug in at a full station you shouldn't ever be stuck getting 36 kW (or less) if your car could otherwise be taking 150+ kW.

Last edited:
That's because you probably haven't recognized the true improvement. If you're looking for a straight speed boost, you're right that due to the battery taper there's not really that much of a difference between V2 and V3 supercharging--maybe you save 3-4 minutes if your battery is in perfect condition to take max charge and you only charge in the bottom half of the battery. However, the major advantage is to throughput of busy locations. When all/most of the stalls at a station are being used and you'd otherwise be forced to share power, the V3 locations have a significant advantage because available power can be directed to any stall at any time. This maximizes charging speeds for every car that plugs in. This is in contrast to V2 stations where you need to get lucky and happen to pick a stall where the paired car was already deep into their taper. So, the speed advantage isn't really that the V3 stations can put out up to 250 kW, it's that when you plug in at a full station you shouldn't ever be stuck getting 36 kW (or less) if your car could otherwise be taking 150+ kW.

Good point. Most of the superchargers I visit are not that heavily used. So it’s easy to keep the one stall spacing required for optimal v2 charging.

I was referring to the previous two posts about removing existing v2’s. I do think that all installs going forward should be v3 as the standard. However given the choice to either remove and replace old v2’s with v3‘s OR add v3’s to an existing site/ build a new v3 site. I’d choose option 2 given the need more more and bigger charging locations. 😎

Good point. Most of the superchargers I visit are not that heavily used. So it’s easy to keep the one stall spacing required for optimal v2 charging.

I was referring to the previous two posts about removing existing v2’s. I do think that all installs going forward should be v3 as the standard. However given the choice to either remove and replace old v2’s with v3‘s OR add v3’s to an existing site/ build a new v3 site. I’d choose option 2 given the need more more and bigger charging locations. 😎
A good case in point is the Waco supercharger which has had several V3 stalls added to the existing V2 chargers. On our way north through there I pulled into our usual stall only to realize several V3’s had been added down the row. You can guess which ones I chose on our southbound trip. I saw several other cars using the V2’s apparently not knowing what was waiting for them just a few stalls away. I suspect the V2’s will see less and less use as time goes on.

A good case in point is the Waco supercharger which has had several V3 stalls added to the existing V2 chargers. On our way north through there I pulled into our usual stall only to realize several V3’s had been added down the row. You can guess which ones I chose on our southbound trip. I saw several other cars using the V2’s apparently not knowing what was waiting for them just a few stalls away. I suspect the V2’s will see less and less use as time goes on.
Tesla is in the process of adding a V3 unit to the four V2 stalls at Gallup NM, a site notorious for long lines.

My car is so slow charging that it makes little difference which I use, even if paired with another car. I'll be using the V2s so that others can take advantage of the V3s. I do the same at sites with the temporary pallet stalls — those are plenty fast enough for my car.

If eating while charging, sometimes best to charge on the slowest bay. 😁

Are all 8 stalls working now? Only 4 were the other day apparently.
Was there Sunday afternoon. Nav said 4 out of 8 were working. When I arrived a car was in stall furthest from the power source, so I tried a stall close to the power source which did not work, so I moved further away and it did work.

The Ranch Market also has this clever device that lets you phone home, if you need to.

Clayton.jpg
Clayton Phone.jpg

Weird. I was there on Saturday and both cabinets were working. I even warned the other guy who shoed up that his stall might not work because I assumed that if my cabinet work, his wouldn't as he plugged in far away from me, but he said it worked fine. It was very sunny but I also did the periscope thing cupping my hands around the red TESLA lights and all 8 of them seemed to be on.

The pay phone didn't have a dial tone btw. I took the same picture.

Weird. I was there on Saturday and both cabinets were working. I even warned the other guy who shoed up that his stall might not work because I assumed that if my cabinet work, his wouldn't as he plugged in far away from me, but he said it worked fine. It was very sunny but I also did the periscope thing cupping my hands around the red TESLA lights and all 8 of them seemed to be on.

The pay phone didn't have a dial tone btw. I took the same picture.
What’s a dial tone?

I wonder if anyone know if there is a cost difference per Kilowatt between a V2 and V3 chargers... particularly at sites where both exists?
There sort of is...since it's billed by time and you'll spend less time on the V3 (I spent 22min to go from 9% to 80% at Waco), the V3 is a bit cheaper.
But...you'll start incurring idle time if you charge while eating lunch! ;)

Wow so psyched this is open, and also to learn that V3 was added at Amarillo! That plus Clayton puts the DFW->Denver route very close to ICE travel time, given a reasonable number of stops.

The Tesla map still shows Amarillo at 150 - anyone know if the other chargers along this route are V3? Ie, Henrietta, Childress, Trinidad. Co Springs?

Reactions: rafacq
Was there Sunday afternoon. Nav said 4 out of 8 were working. When I arrived a car was in stall furthest from the power source, so I tried a stall close to the power source which did not work, so I moved further away and it did work.

The Ranch Market also has this clever device that lets you phone home, if you need to.

View attachment 653453View attachment 653454

does that phone take Venmo?

• Funny
Reactions: mociaf9
I’ll be at Childress, Amarillo, Trinidad and Clayton tomorrow. Junction was very slow at every stall. People were getting between 7 and 50 KW no matter what stall and not paired with anyone. Made for some decent Netflix time though. Sweetwater was putting out almost 150 this evening.

Reactions: wreighven
Ok, we stopped at the aforementioned superchargers. I can report the Childress supercharger is all up and running at the reported 150KW rate. No V3 chargers there and not likely anytime soon. (See below for why I think so) Amarillo does not have any V3 chargers installed. Clayton is still only reporting 4 active chargers and I got the advertised 250KW for awhile until it ramped down as expected. I was in the fourth stall out from boxes. Pro tip; when pulling into the stall, park close to the pedestal if you have a passenger that needs to get out! 😳😊 Still no dial tone on the pay phone but I didn’t drop a coin in to see if that worked.
In other news, when we pulled into the Childress SC, a Tesla service mechanic was busy replacing one of the charge cords and was very talkative. He mentioned Lubbock has been permitted and should be starting construction in the near future. That will open up another quicker route going from I-20 to Amarillo. He also said he would check out the sketchy charging cord we found in Sweetwater.
We will check the Trinidad charger tomorrow but I doubt there will be anything new to report.