Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could be nothing, but looking at permits and location requests for Clayton, I found the survey/design firm William H Smith and Assoc, Houston office , requesting a survey for a whole block around the Clayton Ranch Market. The work type is described as 'Proposed Design' and the requesting party was simply listed as "Clark".

"Need to locate the East half of the BLK 1147 (Ranch Market) from the approaches on the North and South Side of the block and bearing East to the opposite curb of S 2nd St. and to the opposite curb of Pine and Oak st. KMZ available if you call Jeff Knowlton (307)660-8278."

This could be for something totally unrelated, but to have a big national firm asking for marking the Ranch Market parking lot raised some flags for me. It also looks like dig requests for Tesla now don't actually say Tesla on them. They put it in somebody else's name now.

Checking on the Houston address for WH Smith, this is actually an upscale residential apartment complex. So perhaps somebody working from home ? The area code maps to Wyoming, which is where William H Smith is headquartered.
Thanks for the news. Please keep us posted on any updates. Happy 2020, maybe this will be the lucky year.

This needs to happen **NOW**. Ran down to 0% after a freak headwind and freezing rain descended on us passing Channing which ate our 10% margin we’d planned for.

Followed every “speed suggestion” and still pulled in on “fumes”

1DDB5C40-2B7C-463D-8D0A-0F9C2E04C968.jpeg

This needs to happen **NOW**. Ran down to 0% after a freak headwind and freezing rain descended on us passing Channing which ate our 10% margin we’d planned for.

Followed every “speed suggestion” and still pulled in on “fumes”

View attachment 510089

WOW, that's insanity....Use the plugshare app as there are some RV parks that you can top off with that could save your butt. And take a 14-50 adapter with you every time....

Bailout option was Dumas destination chargers but we’d passed Channing by the point things turned for the worst so Dumas was now same distance as Amarillo SC..

Won’t ever take this route again in cold temps until Clayton SC is in place.
FWIW the Dumas Hampton Inn is wide open and works well. From what I could tell, you wouldn't even have to notify the front desk that you were plugged in if you were just topping off.

Did you charge to 100% in Trinidad? Seems a little odd that you would have trouble in the downhill direction, but I know the weather has been bad in the panhandle the last few days.

• Informative
Reactions: rafacq
94%.

Pretty sure the cold and fairly persistent head and crosswinds of 10kt were no help despite keeping a lid on travel speed.

I hope my experience helps others looking to make this crossing in winter not be fooled by the fact that there’s a significant if gradual elevation drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: rafacq
94%.

Pretty sure the cold and fairly persistent head and crosswinds of 10kt were no help despite keeping a lid on travel speed.

I hope my experience helps others looking to make this crossing in winter not be fooled by the fact that there’s a significant if gradual elevation drop.
Well without the elevation drop, you wouldn't have made it. So in this case, it was incredibly significant :)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I am still checking for digging permits a couple times a week. With the COVID stuff going on, the activity there is almost zero. Nothing promising has turned up.

FWIW, I don't think Buc-ee's operates any in New Mexico. The Ranch Market in Clayton still looks like the place it will be.

If anyone is going through Clayton, it would be worth stopping by there and asking if they know anything.