Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a new owner, have been looking at some new road trips to go on from Denver. Thought going to Austin and hitting up a bunch of the BBQ places would be a great drive before winter hits. Started planning the trip and saw this big gap in charging on ABRP and that led me here. So disappointing to see people here thinking this was coming in 2018 and still no sign of it even starting to be built.

So I guess Franklin's, Snow's, Kreuz's and Black's are safe for now.

Reactions: rafacq
As a new owner, have been looking at some new road trips to go on from Denver. Thought going to Austin and hitting up a bunch of the BBQ places would be a great drive before winter hits. Started planning the trip and saw this big gap in charging on ABRP and that led me here. So disappointing to see people here thinking this was coming in 2018 and still no sign of it even starting to be built.

You can get to Austin by taking a hard right at Salina, KS, instead. Avoids this gap and is a less-stressful ride. Of course the downside is you have to go through the Eastern side of Colorado and half of Kansas. But it'll get you there!

upload_2020-8-24_12-29-31.png

Black's is my favorite. The Rudy's Country Store BBQ that hosts many superchargers is not bad for a chain. I get the moist brisket there.

Another huge +1 for this site. Other option is NEMA in Dalhart found in PlugShare. Otherwise it’s the square, long interstate route to get from Amarillo to Trinidad. This forum is so great... :cool:
Dumas has a destination charger which is helpful if you encounter bad winds from the get go.

Make sure you have a Gen1 travel connector for those 14-50’s though just in case in the interest of time.

This is surely good news! Some of us VERY EARLY Tesla owners have been wishing for this location for YEARS. Last time I did this drive, going West, I charged to 99% in Amarillo. Unfortunately, a huge cloudburst sucked up so much battery, I had to stop at the doggone RV park for two hours. There were no charging spots open, but another Tesla left just as I pulled in. Phew. Mac

I made the drive from Trinidad to Amarillo a couple of days ago. Weather was great, not much wind, drafted for about 30-miles to be on the safe side and then opened up once I was confident Amarillo was within reach. Snapped a pick of the planned site, nothing but a cone at the moment. Also thought I’d share the stats from the drive if others were interested. This is a MX LR Raven - the other direction would’ve been more difficult.
9182F191-F5A8-4827-9B57-0402F2799DBA.jpeg
2DB1A080-AFB3-4BC6-AFEB-3C259A33BDBE.jpeg

I've verified from friends living in Clayton that nothing has started yet.

Looking at the NM RLD permit citizens access, the permit that was approved was a 'Plan Review'.

All the existing superchargers in NM have also had "Electrical Commercial Commercial" permits, not just a 'Plan Review'.

I suspect that the clues that we need to see are the "Electrical Commercial Commercial" permits at NM RLD and dig requests on the NM811 portal. None have appeared yet.

Just did the route this morning from Amarillo to Trinidad. Alas, no movement. It seems the “big cones” are all along the road in Clayton for general road improvements.

FWIW, went from Amarillo SC to Trinidad SC in my LR+ X (5 full size passengers and our stuff), starting with 344 miles range and ending with 41. Went 65 on that initial road out of Amarillo, and once we hit that next road going North just went the speed limit.

Could have easily made it going a little faster. I think the key is just to slow down if needed...

Still, will be nice when Clayton is up...