Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning on Denver - > Houston in the Dec 22 time frame. A little concerned about Trinidad to Amarillo. Do you think I can make it in a LR Model Y (albeit full with five adults, two dogs, and a thule)? Also are winter tires necessary for this trip?

if you can stay the night there are a couple of destination chargers in Dumas, TX

i'd be interested to know what the rack does to your range

if you can stay the night there are a couple of destination chargers in Dumas, TX

i'd be interested to know what the rack does to your range
Now that I see it was Houston to Denver, I might recommend Dumas as well if he is making the return trip. I stayed in the hotel in Dumas last year and the charger worked well. Hotel was nice and quiet. And you can't reasonably make the Houston to Denver drive in one day unless you are in a major hurry for some reason and you're willing to go 24 hours straight. Still though, Dumas to Trinidad is 189 miles uphill, so it might not be easily doable with that rack. It might be safer just to go through Salina on the return trip and overnight somewhere in Kansas. The Salina supercharger is at a Holiday Inn Express. I stayed there recently and it was totally fine, although I must say Salina is one of my least favorite towns in the entire country lol.

I topped off at the destination charger in Dumas back in August for one hour. Nobody was there and the property/ chargers are in great shape. I ended up making it to Trinidad with plenty of range left but I also stayed initially at 70mph and there was no wind/ or cold temperatures. with a stiff headwind and low temps i could see it getting challenging. Cant wait for the clayton SC to come...

I stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites, 1120 South 1St Street in Clayton. I didn't need a charge going from Trinidad CO to El Paso, but if I had not kept my speed down a bit, I would have needed a little boost.
Clayton is a good choice for a Supercharger.

Until it is built, consider this:
The Quality Inn has several 120VAC plugs on the outside of the building. I asked the desk clerk about them, and she said that they do allow EV's to use them. 40 more miles of range could make the difference between Trinidad and El Paso.
More interesting for me was the 240VAC NEMA10-30 receptacle on the N end of their building. I checked it and found that it does not have power at that time. I suspect is is just turned off at the breaker.
As I said, I did not need a charge, going down hill and with the wind that trip, but if I were going that way again soon, I think it would be worth a phone call to the Manager of the Quality Inn to ask about the possibility of using that 10-30 for an overnight charge as a guest of the hotel.

• Informative
Reactions: wjax
I stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites, 1120 South 1St Street in Clayton. I didn't need a charge going from Trinidad CO to El Paso, but if I had not kept my speed down a bit, I would have needed a little boost.

The Quality Inn has several 120VAC plugs on the outside of the building. I asked the desk clerk about them, and she said that they do allow EV's to use them. 40 more miles of range could make the difference between Trinidad and El Paso.
More interesting for me was the 240VAC NEMA10-30 receptacle on the N end of their building. I checked it and found that it does not have power at that time. I suspect is is just turned off at the breaker.
As I said, I did not need a charge, going down hill and with the wind that trip, but if I were going that way again soon, I think it would be worth a phone call to the Manager of the Quality Inn to ask about the possibility of using that 10-30 for an overnight charge as a guest of the hotel.
You mean Trinidad to Amarillo right?

Trinidad to El Paso via Clayton is 537 miles and the route makes no sense. And if you did go that way, you'd stop at the supercharger(s) in Tucumcari and/or Santa Rosa.

Trinidad to El Paso via Clayton? That doesn’t make sense!

• Funny
Reactions: PLUS EV
You can get to Austin by taking a hard right at Salina, KS, instead. Avoids this gap and is a less-stressful ride. Of course the downside is you have to go through the Eastern side of Colorado and half of Kansas. But it'll get you there!

View attachment 580233
This is the route I've been going even on ICE cars (including our old Suburban). I've never liked the Amarillo route in any vehicle…but I've been interested in trying it out again this November. I'm really really hopeful Clayton is up and running by Thanksgiving.

This is the route I've been going even on ICE cars (including our old Suburban). I've never liked the Amarillo route in any vehicle…but I've been interested in trying it out again this November. I'm really really hopeful Clayton is up and running by Thanksgiving.

Given that construction hasn't started yet, Thanksgiving is probably optimistic. Unless you meant Thanksgiving 2021? :D

Given that construction hasn't started yet, Thanksgiving is probably optimistic. Unless you meant Thanksgiving 2021? :D

Still nothing on NM building permits for actual construction, only the 'Plan Review' from June.

No dig requests to NM 811 for Clayton since the exploratory survey a year ago.

None of my spotters has seen any activity at the Ranch Market.

Thanksgiving is not in the cards for 2020.

Not sure how this is relative exactly. But sure made me want to go back and rewatch this show. still the best streaming series I’ve seen. Ha ha ha

Absolutely, one of the best written and produced shows of all time.

BB is/was based in NM (Albuquerque). The drive thru New Mexico reminded me of the series. As I was traveling through Clayton I thought to my self “I really wish they would install the supercharger so I could go faster than 70mph, hopefully the “ground breaking” ceremony will be soon”, that sparked my memory of this particular scene and made me chuckle a bit on a long slow drive.

The mind wonders a bit on those long slow drives, especially on AP...