Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely going to need this SC after doing a little range test in late fall conditions.

upload_2020-11-26_13-28-55.png

I made this stretch a few months back in a Dual Motor Model 3 (rated 310 miles) from Amarillo to Trinidad and it was a bit stressful. I drove 5-10mph below the speed limit as the car recommended and thankfully we made it to the Trinidad Supercharger. Left Amarillo at 97% and arrived at 7%. Here's the teslafi info for those who are curious.

Attachments

• tslaamtr.PNG
    tslaamtr.PNG
    174.6 KB · Views: 203
I have a M3 LR. You can fairly easily make the stretch from Trinidad to Amarillo in the summer. Winter? Probably if it is not too cold and you do not need the heater. The reverse trip is TREACHEROUS! You are going uphill against prevailing winds. Last time I did the trip in the Summer, I got a really high charge in Amarillo. All was well until I hit a huge cloudburst! Several miles of driving through driving rain just sucked the power right out of the battery. I was unsure if I would make Trinidad, so I had to stop for a hour at the trailer park for a boost.

the fact that there is *zero* movement on the Clayton supercharger is nuts. it's the *main corridor* between DFW metroplex with 7.5m people and Denver area with 3m people. Anyone going skiing in Colorado from North Texas will use that corridor. it should be a high priority for Tesla... Maybe the 350 miles+ rated Tesla's are fine year round to do Amarillo-Trinidad nonstop... but no way in hell you can risk it on a windy/ cold day with anything less range

I wouldn't call it zero. At least they filed a "planning permit". If nothing else to placate us a bit. :)

On my return trip to Denver recently I went the long way through Las Vegas, NM due to wife+toddler in the car and didn't want to be stranded trying to do RV/J1772 charging in Raton (COVID restrictions, see plugshare on Oasis restaurant).

Reactions: ElectricIAC
the fact that there is *zero* movement on the Clayton supercharger is nuts. it's the *main corridor* between DFW metroplex with 7.5m people and Denver area with 3m people. Anyone going skiing in Colorado from North Texas will use that corridor. it should be a high priority for Tesla... Maybe the 350 miles+ rated Tesla's are fine year round to do Amarillo-Trinidad nonstop... but no way in hell you can risk it on a windy/ cold day with anything less range
Tesla in the past has pulled permits and a year later, we were still waiting for the SC to be built. I have driven from Central Texas to Denver in my Model S90D. In the summer time I had to slow down to make the jump from Amarillo to Trinidad. There is no way that I could make it in the winter time.

Out of Spec Motoring just did a road trip video going from Ft. Collins, CO to Dallas and back along this route and highlighted the lack of charging along this stretch. Had to go 40mph on the return route and even still barely made it in a M3 on a windy day.

Might want to consider giving the video a like to help highlight the issue to a wider audience. If interested here is the link

I’m sure once they finish the superchargers in CA...and FL, and NJ, and NC, PA, the rest of the coastal states.... and the international stations, then they’ll give Clayton and maybe even Lubbock TX and Crawford NM some attention.

It’s too bad that Tesla doesn’t make the urban superchargers commercially available. You could easily install two 72kw chargers on a 225amp 277/480 3 phase service almost anywhere, and it might be an easier sell to property owners and hosts. That would fill the gap in a lot of small towns. It would also give Tesla more usage data about where they need to build out the network, because as it is now not many will travel a particular route just because it’s impossible.

once they finish the superchargers in CA...the rest of the coastal states.... and the international stations, then they’ll give Clayton and maybe even Lubbock TX and Crawford NM some attention.
Right after they finish the Supercharger on the international space station, they’ll give Kayenta some attention. Almost SIX years of “coming soon”!

I’m sure once they finish the superchargers in CA...and FL, and NJ, and NC, PA, the rest of the coastal states.... and the international stations, then they’ll give Clayton and maybe even Lubbock TX and Crawford NM some attention.

It’s too bad that Tesla doesn’t make the urban superchargers commercially available. You could easily install two 72kw chargers on a 225amp 277/480 3 phase service almost anywhere, and it might be an easier sell to property owners and hosts. That would fill the gap in a lot of small towns. It would also give Tesla more usage data about where they need to build out the network, because as it is now not many will travel a particular route just because it’s impossible.
There's currently a job posting based in Austin to improve Supercharger infrastructure. I would imagine they are just short staffed at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Out of Spec Motoring just did a road trip video going from Ft. Collins, CO to Dallas and back along this route and highlighted the lack of charging along this stretch. Had to go 40mph on the return route and even still barely made it in a M3 on a windy day.

Nice report - but somebody's gotta get them a set of 18" aeros! Sort of ironic that the "high performance" tires/wheels cost them so much time.

Clayton supercharger will come. Eventually...

Does Tesla refuse to license their plug to other manufactures? It would be amazing if all those 25/50kW dual plug stations out there also had Tesla plugs...

There's currently a job posting based in Austin to improve Supercharger infrastructure. I would imagine they are just short staffed at the moment.

I saw that posting. My background is in electrical, automation, instrumentation, and programming. So it would be in the realm of my experience, and I would love to help build out the network in these.... underprivileged areas lol. But material procurement, contract construction, and commissioning is a small piece of of the pie, you’ve got land, PR, and legal to deal with and they don’t always move quickly.