Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are hoping to drive the Albuquerque to Farmington route on our 2015 S85D sometime this spring (COVID permitting as we are seniors). We currently get 239-240 miles out of a 90% charge and hope to make theater leg without issues.

We will be enroute to Portland but plan to spend at least 2 nights in/around Farmington and get to drive around Monument Valley (assuming it’s open). Any recommendations for planning our visit?
Looping through Monument Valley is difficult, due to the missing, long-promised, Kayenta AZ Supercharger Station (now even gone from the "coming soon" map). You have several options:

•You can do the Farmington NM to Blanding UT loop through Monument Valley by starting with a full charge and adjusting speed as necessary to make it (and hope you don't hit any strong headwinds). Newcomers to Tesla road trips might find this "unfun" but your car has enough range to do it.

•You can stay overnight in Monument Valley and get a charge there. The best option is to camp at Gouldings or KOA RV parks and plug-in to the RV pedestal with your 14-50 adapter and Mobile Connector. If camping isn't your thing, you could rent a cabin at Gouldings Lodge and plug-in to the 120 V wall outlet (others have done this, see Plugshare.com). That is very slow but ten hours should give you enough charge to continue your journey to Blanding without difficulty.

•You can do an "out and back" to Monument Valley from Blanding. This is easy and you would get to see the rock formations in different lighting and from different perspectives.

Please be aware that cell phone service can be spotty in remote areas, such as Monument Valley.

As for other things to do in the area, I'll suggest Mesa Verde National Park, near Cortez CO and Natural Bridges National Monument, which is 46 miles east of the Blanding UT Supercharger Station.

I presume that you will be going through Moab as well on your trip. Arches and Canyonlands National Parks are well worth the visit. I have some pictures from those parks and some others in western Colorado and southern Utah, in this post: What are the must see - Mountain/Southwest

Our ICE route has been Austin - Brownwood - Sweetwater - Lubbock - Amarillo - Trinidad.
Clayton sure makes it easier. Lubbock would be nice. But I'll take anything along that route.

Clayton is a lot better than Kansas. Boise city has it's merits, doesn't look like that route opens up soon

Reactions: Ferengii
Colorado springs to Centennial is only about 50 miles. Monument pass is maybe 1/2 way?
I've driven that many times in the winter, sometimes Palmer divide is bad, but still pretty close

The thing about Monument isn't so much that this specific location is needed as it is that the Co Springs Supercharger might just be the absolute worst Supercharger in the world.

It's seriously terrible. No one likes it, it's been out of service for extended periods, and Monument would bring a similar location option that's V3 and isn't in a parking garage that is a PITA.

One day in Lubbock, the wind stopped blowing and everyone fell over.

If the wind stops blowing around here, I get an uneasy feeling. Its like that point in a horror movie where everything's quiet and there's a sense of relief, you know something is about to jump out and eat someone.

Then the bugs show up and think your ears would be a nice place to hang out.

The permit was issued on 1/22/21, but didn't show up on the online database until this week.

upload_2021-1-30_15-53-1.png

Looping through Monument Valley is difficult, due to the missing, long-promised, Kayenta AZ Supercharger Station (now even gone from the "coming soon" map). You have several options:

•You can do the Farmington NM to Blanding UT loop through Monument Valley by starting with a full charge and adjusting speed as necessary to make it (and hope you don't hit any strong headwinds). Newcomers to Tesla road trips might find this "unfun" but your car has enough range to do it.

•You can stay overnight in Monument Valley and get a charge there. The best option is to camp at Gouldings or KOA RV parks and plug-in to the RV pedestal with your 14-50 adapter and Mobile Connector. If camping isn't your thing, you could rent a cabin at Gouldings Lodge and plug-in to the 120 V wall outlet (others have done this, see Plugshare.com). That is very slow but ten hours should give you enough charge to continue your journey to Blanding without difficulty.

•You can do an "out and back" to Monument Valley from Blanding. This is easy and you would get to see the rock formations in different lighting and from different perspectives.

Please be aware that cell phone service can be spotty in remote areas, such as Monument Valley.

As for other things to do in the area, I'll suggest Mesa Verde National Park, near Cortez CO and Natural Bridges National Monument, which is 46 miles east of the Blanding UT Supercharger Station.

I presume that you will be going through Moab as well on your trip. Arches and Canyonlands National Parks are well worth the visit. I have some pictures from those parks and some others in western Colorado and southern Utah, in this post: What are the must see - Mountain/Southwest

My sincere thanks for the information.