Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Zaxxon, I live in Colorado Springs and the CS Supercharger is not the worst in the whole world. Sheesh. Yes, that parking garage is a PITA, but it has one thing going for it. It is always accessible. Any time it snows like hell here, you can still get in and charge. It is NEVER blocked by snow. There are at least two other CO superchargers that are often blocked by snowplows pushing snow right in front of the charging positions. I have barely been able to get in the one possible charging spot at the Trinidad Supercharger, same thing at Silverthorne CO. I absolutely do agree that the Monument supercharger will be great. You can avoid the damn parking garage. Unfortunately, whenever it snows around here, Monument often gets TWICE the snow we get in CS. Mac

Hi Mac, I'll take you up on your offer! I actually grew up in Colorado Springs and still spend as much time there as possible (which is a couple visits a year). But we typically come up in the summer and early fall! (enjoying 60 degrees and big blue skies here in Houston today!)

Greg, the CS service center is currently open. There are fast chargers there, but they are for the use of the service techs. They are those (I think) Urban Superchargers, 72 (?) KW. I do not believe they are planning a public supercharger there. Come on up from Texas and visit us. It's delightful here this time of year. Heh heh. Mac

Hi Mac, I'll take you up on your offer! I actually grew up in Colorado Springs and still spend as much time there as possible (which is a couple visits a year). But we typically come up in the summer and early fall! (enjoying 60 degrees and big blue skies here in Houston today!)
I spent a semester in CS in 1970. Colorado College. They were about to start the block system.
Looked a lot different then.

Greg, come on up. Just wait till it warms up a little. (Until the Clayton Supercharger is operational). John, if you came visit Colorado College you would be SHOCKED! The E-W street at the South end of CC (Cache La Poudre St) is filled with cranes and trucks. It is closed. CC bought the entire block just south of Cache La Poudre between Nevada Avenue and Tejon St, and is constructing a HUGE hockey stadium. It is several stories high, and will be covered. It will have 3,400 seats, and an adjacent 324 car parking garage. It will be the largest building on campus.

I spent about two decades in CENTEX and spent lots of wonderful days in Austin. I even WORKED for the IRS in Austin! Mac

Greg, come on up. Just wait till it warms up a little. (Until the Clayton Supercharger is operational). John, if you came visit Colorado College you would be SHOCKED! The E-W street at the South end of CC (Cache La Poudre St) is filled with cranes and trucks. It is closed. CC bought the entire block just south of Cache La Poudre between Nevada Avenue and Tejon St, and is constructing a HUGE hockey stadium. It is several stories high, and will be covered. It will have 3,400 seats, and an adjacent 324 car parking garage. It will be the largest building on campus.

I spent about two decades in CENTEX and spent lots of wonderful days in Austin. I even WORKED for the IRS in Austin! Mac

Hockey team was on dorm floor above me - practiced shots in hall. CC was nice, across the street it was rough. Walked from CC to top of Pikes. That was a long day.

We thank you in advance for your scouting report. Please include pictures! Be sure to charge to near full in Amarillo and drive slowly.

Will do! It'll be daylight so I should get a good look. Sleeping in Amarillo overnight, charging up to 100%, and I've got a couple backup options from plugshare along the way. Appreciate all the input in this thread!

5224642A-AFC3-4A6D-8E86-D9E85005A163.jpeg

Attachments

• F9CFE989-FCB6-4DF5-B2A7-05F620D48061.jpeg
    F9CFE989-FCB6-4DF5-B2A7-05F620D48061.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 43
View attachment 634439

Sent to me by a friend going through Clayton. They didn’t see any other boxes on site to help identify V3 vs V2.
Typically a new eight stall installation is two V3 units. Do they even do V2 anymore?

Anyway, those conduits at the rear of the picture look a lot like a V3 installation to me.

Typically a new eight stall installation is two V3 units. Do they even do V2 anymore?

Anyway, those conduits at the rear of the picture look a lot like a V3 installation to me.
Yeah I generally agree, but not 100% sure. Perhaps someone like @mociaf9 can confirm v3 from what is pictured.

There was a v2 recently installed in Seattle and when I asked the contractor they said it was because the site had electrical limitations (was a relatively new modern parking garage in the city, but who knows). It's not impossible that a rural location like Clayton could also have such electrical limitations, but I kind of doubt it. In the case of the one in Seattle, we didn't complain because it was the type of location that would normally get the even slower urban superchargers :)

It looks like a brand new utility pole there at the site. It doesn't appear to be connected to anything yet. Perhaps the local electrical utility is having to bring in additional service for the transformer.

The slots look like they are backwards angle in, except. There are 8, but perhaps the closest one could be a pull through?

I'm almost positive it's V3, like 99% sure. In the pictures, the pad area is a little too far away for me to be categorically sure without possible doubt, but the diameter of the conduit is right for V3 and bigger than needed/usual for V2 installs. Plus, it's very unusual for Tesla to build traditional style V2 locations anymore. If anyone posts a picture focused on the equipment pad area showing the layout of the conduit there, I can give absolute confirmation.