Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Working on it today, looks like they could be getting close. My sources could not say if the local power company had installed the transformer yet, so they will let me know.
View attachment 643900View attachment 643901View attachment 643902
Wow -- this progress looks like it won't be long at all! Maybe a couple weeks?

We're planning a road trip to Colorado in the summer and the Amarillo to Trinidad stretch is doable in my LR Y, but I don't like cutting things so closely. We like to stop and recharge often. I imagine this station is going to be BUMPING.

Reactions: reddy
We are now getting CLOSE!! Several of us have been asking for this station for YEARS!! Finally! Now I have to think up a reason to go to Texas. Hmmm. Maybe the Poteet strawberry festival??? I LIKE strawberries.... Mac
I dunno... Poteet strawberry festival isn't that exciting. If you're coming down, check out Wurstfest in the fall in New Braunfels or Fiesta in the Spring in San Antonio. Sherwood Forest Faire in Lockhart also in the spring.

All way better than Poteet.

• Helpful
Reactions: CarlS
the sweetwater rattlesnake roundup was last week, so you missed that......
hard pass... killing thousands of rattlesnakes (collected all over West Texas from wide open places where they pose no danger, flushed out of ground holes using kerosene/ gasoline) just "for fun" is pretty high on the ignorance list

If it is not open by June I would think there is something seriously wrong with our system. I made the trip in summer 2019 in perfect conditions. Now that I have some deterioration on my battery and with less perfect conditions I don't think I would be able to make it unless I start crawling over the highways between Amarillo and Trinidad. Clayton SC would be a great help.

Went by Saturday night and was in the same state - Fenced in and "Tesla" logos dark.. Made it down in my weighted down X90D (2016 110,000 miles) to Amarillo with 6 miles left going 55/60 mph.. Clayton can't come fast enough..
Thanks for the update. This supercharger can’t open soon enough for me. We are heading to Colorado Springs in less than a month and it will shave a few hours off the trip.

Reactions: wreighven
I’ve always traveled through Kansas instead of Amarillo. Never really liked that route in years past. Last year I had to drive it and it was greatly improved. So I’m looking forward to it. Going to use it in June.
once it's open Clayton will be a true game changer... opens up the fastest route for Dallas/Houston to Colorado without "sweating it".
The Henrietta addition was much needed but so is Clayton. Happy to see Tesla opening up travel corridors :) Plus it opens up the northern route for Taos /NM

Wow man...that's living life on the wild side!!! My anxiety would be screaming!
haha, not my finest road trip on several fronts - That was nothing compared to a few days earlier trying to get into Telluride, couldn't get any juice at a VRBO cabin on the mesa and the cold dropped the overnight charge-on-vehicle way lower than expected.. So going 30mph down and then up the mountain hwy into town for about 10 miles with cars honking at me from behind, no shoulder, still a little icy.. Made it into the closest charger in town at close to nothing.. That was the scariest 20 minutes by far in my 8+ years of EV. Wife was pissed beyond words.. The delayed Telluride SC would of saved my butt.. But that was my bad all around, regardless that is a story for the Telluride thread..

haha, not my finest road trip on several fronts - That was nothing compared to a few days earlier trying to get into Telluride, couldn't get any juice at a VRBO cabin on the mesa and the cold dropped the overnight charge-on-vehicle way lower than expected.. So going 30mph down and then up the mountain hwy into town for about 10 miles with cars honking at me from behind, no shoulder, still a little icy.. Made it into the closest charger in town at close to nothing.. That was the scariest 20 minutes by far in my 8+ years of EV. Wife was pissed beyond words.. The delayed Telluride SC would of saved my butt.. But that was my bad all around, regardless that is a story for the Telluride thread..
I wonder what it is about wives all lacking that sense of adventure.

Oh man... just reading that made my blood pressure rise.

So what happened at your VRBO where you couldn't get juice? I assume you were using a mobile charger? What was the problem?

It's these edge case scenarios that definitely worry me, but with a little preparation, I'm not worried to take a chance and have an adventure.

I’ve always traveled through Kansas instead of Amarillo. Never really liked that route in years past. Last year I had to drive it and it was greatly improved. So I’m looking forward to it. Going to use it in June.
I've done both often and each has it's pro's and cons. The roads are smoother on Kanas route, Amarillo is faster. But once this supercharger in Clayton is open it's a no brainer for the extra speed and time savings. A little more problematic if you have tire trouble along the way (or anything that would require service out on the road).

Thanks to all who have contributed to the progress/updates!