Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, we stopped at the aforementioned superchargers. I can report the Childress supercharger is all up and running at the reported 150KW rate. No V3 chargers there and not likely anytime soon. (See below for why I think so) Amarillo does not have any V3 chargers installed. Clayton is still only reporting 4 active chargers and I got the advertised 250KW for awhile until it ramped down as expected. I was in the fourth stall out from boxes. Pro tip; when pulling into the stall, park close to the pedestal if you have a passenger that needs to get out! 😳😊 Still no dial tone on the pay phone but I didn’t drop a coin in to see if that worked.
In other news, when we pulled into the Childress SC, a Tesla service mechanic was busy replacing one of the charge cords and was very talkative. He mentioned Lubbock has been permitted and should be starting construction in the near future. That will open up another quicker route going from I-20 to Amarillo. He also said he would check out the sketchy charging cord we found in Sweetwater.
We will check the Trinidad charger tomorrow but I doubt there will be anything new to report.
Great news to hear about Lubbock! I believe there are several folks who check regularly for permits in the Lubbock area so hopefully this shows up officially on supercharge.info soon, and while they’re at it they might as well get Clovis knocked out to open another I20->I40 route.

a Tesla service mechanic was busy replacing one of the charge cords and was very talkative. He mentioned Lubbock has been permitted and should be starting construction in the near future
There are at least 3 different and independent ways that outsiders can learn about future supercharger builds in Texas, and none of them show that Tesla is almost ready to start construction in Lubbock. There's no TABS application; there's no listing the Lubbock online database for plan review and building permits that mentions Tesla, supercharging, or charging stations; and none of the people who look for site surveys or utility location requests has posted that there's been one done on behalf of Tesla in Lubbock. So....

Press X To Doubt.

Last edited:
There are at least 3 different and independent ways that outsiders can learn about future supercharger builds in Texas, and none of them show that Tesla is almost ready to start construction in Lubbock. There's no TABS application; there's no listing the Lubbock online database for plan review and building permits that mentions Tesla, supercharging, or charging stations; and none of the people who look for site surveys or utility location requests has posted that there's been one done on behalf of Tesla in Lubbock. So....
I'm generally skeptical of supercharger rumors, but I would trust info from a guy working on supercharger maintenance more than any other kind of Tesla employee. That being said if no permit is found, I remain somewhat skeptical.

I agree, taking the word of a random person we meet should be taken with a grain of salt, but this guy seemed like a super fan of Tesla, as well as an actual employee maintaining the superchargers in the region. He was anxious to share his knowledge of all things Tesla and offered up the Lubbock info with no prompting from me. All I can say is I hope he is right. It could be in my enthusiasm I heard the permit had been granted where he meant it could be moving forward at long last. Regardless, it was encouraging to hear.

I agree, taking the word of a random person we meet should be taken with a grain of salt, but this guy seemed like a super fan of Tesla, as well as an actual employee maintaining the superchargers in the region. He was anxious to share his knowledge of all things Tesla and offered up the Lubbock info with no prompting from me. All I can say is I hope he is right. It could be in my enthusiasm I heard the permit had been granted where he meant it could be moving forward at long last. Regardless, it was encouraging to hear.
Was he Mark from Houston? If so, that guy knows what's up. I've run into him while out supercharger hunting. Very nice guy.

Wow so psyched this is open, and also to learn that V3 was added at Amarillo! That plus Clayton puts the DFW->Denver route very close to ICE travel time, given a reasonable number of stops.

The Tesla map still shows Amarillo at 150 - anyone know if the other chargers along this route are V3? Ie, Henrietta, Childress, Trinidad. Co Springs?
Colorado Springs is 150 and unlikely to change, but there's a new v3 SC location in Monument that looks like it's getting close to completion.

• Informative
Reactions: sdoorex and wjax
Colorado Springs is 150 and unlikely to change, but there's a new v3 SC location in Monument that looks like it's getting close to completion.
Be advised the charger in the parking garage is now pay to play. $3.00 to get in Plus whatever you pay to charge.

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceAggie
Oh good. But really what we need is one in Pueblo to be able to totally avoid CoSpgs on the trek from Trinidad.

questions:

- is the Clayton NM charger now fully operational with all 8 stalls or are still only 4 working?

- planning on doing a trip to Taos NM over memorial day weekend and trying to convince the wife to take the Model 3 AWD vs. her GMC Terrain:

Clayton NM Supercharger to Taos NM going the shortest route is approximately 170 miles ... but the elevation profile going over Angel Fire looks pretty aggressive. Should we be fine doing that route if we charge to ~285 miles in Clayton? I've done Amarillo to Trinidad in the past with a stop in Dumas / TX which is slightly more elevation gain and a slightly longer drive just fine - although no stiff winds back then.

thank you!

questions:

- is the Clayton NM charger now fully operational with all 8 stalls or are still only 4 working?

- planning on doing a trip to Taos NM over memorial day weekend and trying to convince the wife to take the Model 3 AWD vs. her GMC Terrain:

Clayton NM Supercharger to Taos NM going the shortest route is approximately 170 miles ... but the elevation profile going over Angel Fire looks pretty aggressive. Should we be fine doing that route if we charge to ~285 miles in Clayton? I've done Amarillo to Trinidad in the past with a stop in Dumas / TX which is slightly more elevation gain and a slightly longer drive just fine - although no stiff winds back then.

thank you!
Should be fine barring an incredibly stiff wind. Shouldn't really have winter weather that time of year, and if you do it during the day, temps should be >50F which is good for range. The net gain in elevation will cost you about 20 Rated Miles.

questions:

thank you!
I drive a MS 100D, I don't think this should be a problem for your range at all. Simply keep your speed down, windows up, and limit A/C if possible. Turn down display brightness "Zero". Remembering you'll have some downhill after Red River NM, so much so that you range will be little affected most of the way from Red River to Taos, least wise that is my MS history. I am sure you are aware of the three Destination Chargers in Taos and two in Taos Ski Valley. Taos Ski Valley parking lot by the drop off had two, and the Blake has same in the "private garage". You can always ask at the Blake. Be safe as PM thunder storms are prevalent in the mountains.

Also perhaps good for all, learn how to do an Elevation Profile in Google Earth - easier on a Mac or PC. Helps me on Long Distance trips.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
questions:

thank you!
You can check on the status of the Clayton supercharger (or any other) by dragging your navigation map over to the location and touching the supercharger icon there. The pop-up box will give the current status of that supercharger station, including the number of stalls open and how many are available.

As others have said, you shouldn't have trouble making Taos from Clayton. When you select Taos as your destination while at Clayton, try to charge so that nav estimates that you will have about 20% at your destination; perhaps a bit more if facing a stiff headwind. The navigation estimate of charge at destination does take into account elevation changes and I find that it is usually conservative for my car (YMMV). As you drive the route, if the estimated charge at destination starts dropping, slow down until it stabilizes. If the estimated charge at destination stays steady or rises you know that you will make it easily.

In general, the slower you drive, the farther you can go. The trick is to pay attention and slow down right away if the estimated charge at destination starts dropping. Don't wait until the last few miles to reduce speed. Better to drive a little slower over the route than to have to drive way below the speed limit the last few miles to just barely make it. I speak from experience!

I recommend changing your display to show percentage State Of Charge (% SOC), rather than EPA Rated Miles (RM). The RM display is a fuel gauge, not how far you can go; displaying RM is misleading to most drivers. Change the display to % SOC and be done with it.

Will be heading to Colorado Sunday. Will spend Sunday night in Amarillo then on to Estes Park Monday morning. Looking forward to our stop in Clayton!
Good time to visit Rocky Mountain National Park and avoid the weekend! RMNP is so close to the Denver/Boulder metro area that it gets even more crowded on weekends. The forecast is for rainy weather, however.