Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clyde, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow!! I went out earlier to check the site and was super surprised. They not only have made a lot of progress but there are a lot more stalls than I thought there would be!

There are going to be 20 v3 stalls. Not sure who to tag to update supercharge.info but I guess the Clyde, TX entry needs to be changed from 8 to 20 stalls on there.

The stalls are not active yet; I did try and plug in but absolutely nothing happened.

Once active, this will be a nice option heading west form DFW on I-20.

View attachment 840316View attachment 840318
Updated to 20 stalls.

Wow!! I went out earlier to check the site and was super surprised. They not only have made a lot of progress but there are a lot more stalls than I thought there would be!

There are going to be 20 v3 stalls. Not sure who to tag to update supercharge.info but I guess the Clyde, TX entry needs to be changed from 8 to 20 stalls on there.

The stalls are not active yet; I did try and plug in but absolutely nothing happened.

Once active, this will be a nice option heading west form DFW. Just as a reminder, this location is about 10 miles east of Abilene on I-20.

View attachment 840316View attachment 840318
Oh my gosh. Than you thank you thank you. I was hoping it would be open by our trip out there tomorrow but I guess not.

Reactions: Texshark
Oh my gosh. Than you thank you thank you. I was hoping it would be open by our trip out there tomorrow but I guess not.
They will probably be open soon. The install looks mostly buttoned up, so I bet they are just waiting on the city inspectors to give it the go ahead and/or for the power utility to finish up their work but it looks like the big pad mounted transformer is in place and I didn't see any open trenches or conduit so it I bet it's mostly all in now.

Don't know how often you travel out this way and how far, but they are also putting a new Supercharger site in at Big Spring as well, between Sweetwater & Midland/Odessa. I'm not sure how far along they are on that one though. I know it's been permitted but that's a bit far for me to drive to and check up on regularly.

(Edit: after posting this, I looked back at my pictures and there still may be a little bit of concrete work left to do on the ends but the changing hardware itself looks to be installed)

Last edited:
They will probably be open soon. The install looks mostly buttoned up, so I bet they are just waiting on the city inspectors to give it the go ahead and/or for the power utility to finish up their work but it looks like the big pad mounted transformer is in place and I didn't see any open trenches or conduit so it I bet it's mostly all in now.

Don't know how often you travel out this way and how far, but they are also putting a new Supercharger site in at Big Spring as well, between Sweetwater & Midland/Odessa. I'm not sure how far along they are on that one though. I know it's been permitted but that's a bit far for me to drive to and check up on regularly.

(Edit: after posting this, I looked back at my pictures and there still may be a little bit of concrete work left to do on the ends but the changing hardware itself looks to be installed)
Thats the great thing with these prefab units, I can see why they are using them more and more.
[edit]
I just did the same as you and took another look.
I think they have just dropped the five prefabs in there, can't really tell from the photos, but it may be that they aren't cabled in yet.
You can see the end one still has the cable runs temporarily filled with paper or something.
It looks like a nicer install than the one at Centerville though. That one has the prefabs bolted down with angle brackets 🤣

I thought this trio is maintaining the supercharge.info site and wanted to call out that there is a post above on the number of stalls. So whoever is maintaining that site please update accordingly.

Thank you for your service to Tesla community

Reactions: drdumont
Great Zot! 20 Stalls! But we still can't get a simple 4 banger into Abilene proper? Ahhrgghh!

I promise, you'd hear no complaints from me. While I can charge at home, I know not everyone can and I'm starting to see a surprising number of Tesla's driving around Abilene. Clyde is still a bit far out to ask someone to drive if they need to top off while in and around Abilene. You'll burn up ~10%-20% SoC just getting out there and back depending on where in Abilene your going from/to.

As far as I know, we still don't have any DC Faster Chargers, Tesla or Otherwise within Abilene... which makes us the biggest city on I-20 in Texas without any DC Fast Charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
I promise, you'd hear no complaints from me. While I can charge at home, I know not everyone can and I'm starting to see a surprising number of Tesla's driving around Abilene. Clyde is still a bit far out to ask someone to drive if they need to top off while in and around Abilene. You'll burn up ~10%-20% SoC just getting out there and back depending on where in Abilene your going from/to.

As far as I know, we still don't have any DC Faster Chargers, Tesla or Otherwise within Abilene... which makes us the biggest city on I-20 in Texas without any DC Fast Charging.
when you say it like that you make it sound like EV charging isn't a priority for the city 😇

I promise, you'd hear no complaints from me. While I can charge at home, I know not everyone can and I'm starting to see a surprising number of Tesla's driving around Abilene. Clyde is still a bit far out to ask someone to drive if they need to top off while in and around Abilene. You'll burn up ~10%-20% SoC just getting out there and back depending on where in Abilene you're going from/to.

Since 2020 I have charged at the Hilton Garden Inn when I visit for the WTRC show each year. Only a 220V wall charger, but a charger is as charger does. I also have been known to charge at the Civic Center loading dock during the show. I learned quite a lot about stretching miles in 2020 when I rented a TURO for the weekend for the Abilene trip. Found out the hard way about Sentry mode (forced on by the owner), overnight battery maintenance in freezing weather, and other energy thieves. But I did make it back to Cisco with 8 miles indicated. And ordered my first Model 3 the evening I got home.

Seems to me there should be at least a 4 Banger in the shopping center area off Buffalo Gap Rd. There must be SOME retailer interested in the future. Can't remember the name of the convenience store chain there, but they would be a good landlord, IMHO.

Reactions: Texshark
Since 2020 I have charged at the Hilton Garden Inn when I visit for the WTRC show each year. Only a 220V wall charger, but a charger is as charger does. I also have been known to charge at the Civic Center loading dock during the show. I learned quite a lot about stretching miles in 2020 when I rented a TURO for the weekend for the Abilene trip. Found out the hard way about Sentry mode (forced on by the owner), overnight battery maintenance in freezing weather, and other energy thieves. But I did make it back to Cisco with 8 miles indicated. And ordered my first Model 3 the evening I got home.

Seems to me there should be at least a 4 Banger in the shopping center area off Buffalo Gap Rd. There must be SOME retailer interested in the future. Can't remember the name of the convenience store chain there, but they would be a good landlord, IMHO.
I know what store you're talking about. That would be convenient for drivers coming up and down US-83/84 but is a bit out of the way for I-20 travelers and I'd figure Tesla would want to locate at least the first one near the interstate.... but with a SC only 10 miles away in Clyde now, they may not deem an Abilene site as necessary right now unless our local Tesla population here in the city grows more.

However, with them planning to open the SC's up to non-Tesla's, I think we'd be a good site for one of those type of SCs. All types of EV's have been selling pretty well here. I'm seeing a lot of other ones such as ID.4s, Mach-Es and Kias (forgot Kia's EV's name) in addition to Tesla's driving around. So, while I can't vouch for how the city may or may not consider EV infrastructure build out as a priority, its residents are certainly starting to join the EV bandwagon.

Last edited:
Clyde SC is open now. It shows on the car map, and I've seen confirmation from some other people in the North Texas Tesla Owners Club group on Facebook that this is working. I have not personally been out yet to test but I'm pretty confident it's open.

IMG_1464.JPG

@Chuq @Big Earl @corywright

Last edited:

I go out to Lubbock a few times a year so thankfully there is one in Lubbock now. This was a different trip since I stopped for the night in Abilene. I was able to charge at the Hilton Garden Inn overnight so didn't need the SC in Clyde to be open.

Now that it is though I am wondering if I could do the trip from DFW to Clyde to Lubbock. I usually stop in Cisco and Sweetwater but that gets to be time consuming. I may consider doing that on my next trip.