Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clyde, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Location pin here seems to be wrong. Showing it SE of Dallas, not near Abil

I go out to Lubbock a few times a year so thankfully there is one in Lubbock now. This was a different trip since I stopped for the night in Abilene. I was able to charge at the Hilton Garden Inn overnight so didn't need the SC in Clyde to be open.

Now that it is though I am wondering if I could do the trip from DFW to Clyde to Lubbock. I usually stop in Cisco and Sweetwater but that gets to be time consuming. I may consider doing that on my next trip.
I don't know, that may be pushing it, at least going up there. I Drive up to Lubbock/Levelland from Abilene in our Model Y LR quite often for family and we can leave Abilene at a 100% SoC and still have to hit Sweetwater (or Lubbock SC now that it's open). That Sweetwater to Lubbock leg can be very inefficient. It's up hill almost the entire way and usually windy. Coming back is usually not a problem though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Yep, prefab units go in rather quickly. Still don't see any transformer in the photos, so a lot of wiring & final check by Tesla still to go. I often take I-20 on my way to SoCal from MS. Looking forward to more along the route. ESp. Dallas - Mountain Creek Pkwy location currently in permitting.

Reactions: PStewart
Yep, prefab units go in rather quickly. Still don't see any transformer in the photos, so a lot of wiring & final check by Tesla still to go. I often take I-20 on my way to SoCal from MS. Looking forward to more along the route. ESp. Dallas - Mountain Creek Pkwy location currently in permitting.
I think you missed some of the later posts. This SC site is open now. It shows up in the car's nav and I've seen confirmations in a Facebook group that I'm in that this site is working.

I don't know, that may be pushing it, at least going up there. I Drive up to Lubbock/Levelland from Abilene in our Model Y LR quite often for family and we can leave Abilene at a 100% SoC and still have to hit Sweetwater (or Lubbock SC now that it's open). That Sweetwater to Lubbock leg can be very inefficient. It's up hill almost the entire way and usually windy. Coming back is usually not a problem though.
Agreed. Hwy 84 from Sweetwater to Lubbock is terrible. Oh well, guess its still two stops for me. :)

Likewise. Nice to meet you via TMC. I‘m seeing more Tesla’s in Abilene this past year. We just need more infrastructure here in Abilene in support of Tesla and EV’s in general. Also wish Tesla Solar serviced our area!
Yep, I agree with you about the infrastructure. I've been seeing a lot more EV's in general in our area, not just Tesla's. I have two co-workers that have Mach-E's and I'm seeing some of the Kia and VW EVs around town too. Have yet to see an F150 lighting but I'm sure there are some. They don't stand out as much since they look so much like their ICE counterpart so it's possible that I've seen them and just not known it.

Without any DCFC sites around here, EV ownership in Abilene only works right now if you can charge at home and/or work. We also have very limited options for public Level 2 charging.

Reactions: Luisito
I just took a trip out to this Supercharger to check it out since I haven't been to it since it went live, and I had no issues. Came in at 15% SoC and got 250kW for a little bit before it ramped down as the SoC went up.

Anyway, unrelated to my charging, I noticed something really weird. There was a Model S parked in front of a stall with its frunk popped and a big stone Infront of the rear driver wheel, almost acting like a wheel chock... But the strangest thing was a cut off Supercharger handle in the car's charge port. Note, the stall it's parked in front of is NOT missing a Supercharger handle. So that means this car is also taking up a stall while not using it. Not that this is a busy location but it's just strange all around. 🤨

IMG_1474.JPG

Reactions: PStewart
I've heard of people using a cut off charger connector as a way to keep someone from plugging their car in if they are occupying but not using a SC stall.

The idea is that they'll move their car to not get hit with idle fees.
You can’t plug in if the car is locked and you can’t unplug either. Am I missing something? Idle fees only kick in if plugged in and not charging which then Tesla knows your car is connected.

To me it looks like someone abusing a usable charging spot to park their “Tesla”.

You can’t plug in if the car is locked and you can’t unplug either. Am I missing something? Idle fees only kick in if plugged in and not charging which then Tesla knows your car is connected.

To me it looks like someone abusing a usable charging spot to park their “Tesla”.
I think there was/is a question in the community awhile back on wether or not you could open the charge port with the button on the charging handle, even if the car was locked.

But yes they seem to be using/abusing that spot just to park.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
I've heard of people using a cut off charger connector as a way to keep someone from plugging their car in if they are occupying but not using a SC stall.

The idea is that they'll move their car to not get hit with idle fees.
I thought the same initially - but that is backwards.
The SC has no real intelligence does it? The car is what initiates the idle fees, billing etc, so having something plugged in would tell the car its idle.
The other oddity is that there was a rock in front of the wheel. Maybe something is wrong with the car?
When you have something plugged in, the car won't go into drive. You can use the Tesla J1772 adapter for the same thing. Folks use them at car shows to stop someone accidentally getting the car into drive.
Doesn't explain why its sat in a SC stall though.

It seems more likely that the owner got a charge cable welded/stuck in their charge port, maybe ran out of juice and got towed to a different Supercharger to wait for a mobile technician. Nobody parks at a Supercharger with their frunk open, with a rock holding the car in place, and a charge want stuck in their port just because they want to "park" there. Also, the rear rotors are rusty, suggesting the car hasn't been driven in a while. Regardless, hashing this out seems off topic for the thread.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Twiglett
It seems more likely that the owner got a charge cable welded/stuck in their charge port, maybe ran out of juice and got towed to a different Supercharger to wait for a mobile technician. Nobody parks at a Supercharger with their frunk open, with a rock holding the car in place, and a charge want stuck in their port just because they want to "park" there. Also, the rear rotors are rusty, suggesting the car hasn't been driven in a while. Regardless, hashing this out seems off topic for the thread.
in fairness, being off topic is de rigueur for TMC 😁

A model S will open the charge port when a cable button is pushed, even if the car is locked.

It will not release an inserted cable, but will allow charging.

This definitely applies to the pre-Raven S. Not sure about Raven and it doesn’t work in other models.

This is a brutal stop. The superchargers keep stopping charging after about 50 miles and I have to move stalls and plug back in. But that isn't the worst of it...

I grabbed two items at the convenience store, a Starbucks double shot which typically retails for around 3 bucks and a pack of donettes which typically sells for $2.50 or so. The total came out to $12.97. At first I just figured the cashier screwed up and rang something else up on accident or scanned them twice or something. But no, they were charging $5.99 for the doubleshot and apparently $6 and change for the donettes. Obviously I put them back. Then I tried to look for the prices just to verify but there were no price tags. I asked about the price tags thinking maybe I could find something not so ridiculously priced that I might purchase, but I was told they don't do price tags. To that I explained that I don't want to waste everyone's time by running stuff up to the front and then having to put it back so I wouldn't purchase anything.

I was referred to the manager (possibly owner?) who explained to me that travel center convenience stores typically don't have price tags. I promptly called him out on his bullshit as I have been to a few hundred travel center convenience stores and every other one has price tags lol.

Anyways, the more superchargers the better of course, but this is an unfortunate host business and I will never buy anything here. I did not check the prices at the Burger King or IHOP to see if they are also insanely overpriced as I wasn't that hungry. I'd be hesitant to purchase anything there anyway as I assume a portion of the proceeds go to the owner of the ripoff travel center.