Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Coalinga, CA (LIVE 15 Dec 2022, 80 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
major holidays I am sure it will fill up especially it's Harris ranch, need my brisket sandwich
I always hear about long lines and full supercharger stations, but I can't find a single video on youtube of of someone just walking around a 20+ stall supercharger station that are 100% full and showing it. It's so odd. I would think even I'd find one, from Tesla hating channel, but no.

I always hear about long lines and full supercharger stations, but I can't find a single video on youtube of of someone just walking around a 20+ stall supercharger station that are 100% full and showing it. It's so odd. I would think even I'd find one, from Tesla hating channel, but no.
I used this new site called google, you should check it out.

I guess they were all on page 10 or something, because I searched "full Tesla supercharger station" and "Lines at Tesla supercharger" and the closest I got was the Out of Spec Motors video. Thanks.
Also if you ever happen to visit Los Angeles you can see lines waiting at Superchargers at several location, one notorious example lately is Burbank in the San Fernando Valley. It is a 20 stalls V2 and on a regular basis at nights there are anywhere from 5 to 20 cars waiting.

Honestly, I think it's because it's not that big an "event" anymore to see a full supercharger. Pretty much every weekend in the SGV and OC and others throughout LA, multiple larger ones are full. Especially Vegas - LA (even Baker was full last time I went through) is regularly full on weekends during the heavy travel times. It's so commonplace that there's no point to record a video of it.

It'd be like someone posting a video of the 405 being a parking lot. That's not really interesting or novel anymore so not likely to get any views.

This second video Fiver posted shows a clueless KSBY reporter not aware that Tesla pulled off a stunt that NO ONE ELSE POSSIBLY COULD.
What made the difference? I-5 at the Grapevine was closed due to snow.

In a truly heroic act Tesla set 8 additional Supercharger ports on top a 18 wheel flatbed truck, along with a megapack (iirc) and wheeled it onto the SLO (north) location by the Madonna Inn! We waited about 2 hours to get our boost, and while we waitied, ANOTHER 18-wheeler with another 8 ports pulled in, ready to serve up charging ports!

Some Tesla employees were there monitoring and guiding traffic. They had about 5 parallel queues of about 15-20 cars moving slowly forward. Plus they limited charging to 80% max.

Since then we have had Greenfield installed, CA-46 at Paso Robles, along with Pismo Beach, SLO (south, off Los Osos Valley Rd) and coming soon we'll have Santa Maria completed. We are fortunate to have an explosion of new sites in CA for the eruption of Tesla ownership! ;)

Working people visit SuC on weekends, sometimes at night. Tip: time your arrival if you rely on these by the on-screen app. It's very helpful.

Progress!!
62A8DE90-975C-4880-B8E2-F563768D8075.jpeg
706F40D2-E0FD-4C47-BB36-CD4D0E3DFE13.jpeg

They need to expand some of the Bay Area sites like this. They should pull the old, but newly installed, V2 Superchargers from the Target on Fallon Road in Dublin and fill with more V3 chargers!
Oh. Don't be so hard on V2 chargers. They still serve a purpose and I'd hate to see useable chargers replaced.

Oh. Don't be so hard on V2 chargers. They still serve a purpose and I'd hate to see useable chargers replaced.

Not only that but the infrastructure needed for V3 vs V2 is quite substantial so they would need to totally construct the site again almost to every stall really not worth taking out a V2 to install V3. I have seen Tesla expand V2 sites to more stalls or just locate a new V3 site in addition.

Reactions: Dave EV
Not only that but the infrastructure needed for V3 vs V2 is quite substantial so they would need to totally construct the site again almost to every stall really not worth taking out a V2 to install V3. I have seen Tesla expand V2 sites to more stalls or just locate a new V3 site in addition.
Yeah, I think the only possible cost-effective upgrade that could be done to V2s would be to upgrade the posts to V3 style posts with water cooling. V2 cables seem to overheat a lot easier leading to reduced charging speeds. It shouldn't be that hard to design a V2+ post that uses the water cooled cables. Standardizing on a single type of cable would also be a good thing as well from an inventory management perspective.

Yeah, I think the only possible cost-effective upgrade that could be done to V2s would be to upgrade the posts to V3 style posts with water cooling. V2 cables seem to overheat a lot easier leading to reduced charging speeds. It shouldn't be that hard to design a V2+ post that uses the water cooled cables. Standardizing on a single type of cable would also be a good thing as well from an inventory management perspective.
That might be something they look to do when the add CCS cables to the stalls. But they might only add CCS cables to V3 sites...

For those up thread, YaY for the best first SC travel location getting an upgrade. Yay for the location!

We had to wait hours for a Roadster to charge in 2013 on a Roadster to S adaptor. ;-)

We would be silly to think (no) Solar for all or Megacharger Semi, no? Even Elons teams knows better.

@bmah yep.
@Familyfirstj OMG!
@Arbitrage show me the money. I’ve been through Baker and the East Coast there and back. More than twice. I’ve seen 10%.

Maybe check your travel times. Most folks know, travel off the normal. But I’ve only doing this for in an electric car for a decade. Show me pictures and data. Happy to refute.

Fine discussion. The latest at that location has me thinking a new road in. Over / under isn’t good for me. Not the first time across the country.