Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Coeur d'Alene, ID (LIVE Feb 2015, 6 V2 + 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the Billings SC going in so soon (maybe I should put that in quotes...), it seems to me that the I90 route planning is pretty active. The 2014 map shows some pretty long runs on I90, though. Coeur d'Alene to Bozeman is 366 miles and there seems to only be one planned SC between them. Given the mountains, it's dicey for a 60. It looks to me like 2 are needed between Bozeman and Cd'A. Hope that's why they haven't shown up on the coming soon map.

We learned at The Dalles supercharger (at the grand opening on Aug 9) that we should be watching for permits at the Springfield Suites in Coeur d'Alene, 2250 W Seltice Way.

The route from Ritzville through to Wyoming along I-90 should be completed before the end of the year, that Tesla Motors "2014" map for Superchargers is correct to the actual plan.

are you all really going to go over the whole 24 amp 120v discussion here too? Why not just read It IS possible to charge at 24A from a 120V TT-30 plug... which has covered every possible angle with screenshots and everything.

If you are too lazy to read the whole thread the cliff notes summary is, yes you really can do it but some Model S cars are limited to 20a on 12v and some aren't. If your car plays nice with it and you don't kill anyone or burn anything down you can get more than 20a on 120v.

We learned at The Dalles supercharger (at the grand opening on Aug 9) that we should be watching for permits at the Springfield Suites in Coeur d'Alene, 2250 W Seltice Way.

Thanks for the tip! I may be passing through the area next week. I will stop by and have a look.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on the Billings SC going in so soon (maybe I should put that in quotes...), it seems to me that the I90 route planning is pretty active. The 2014 map shows some pretty long runs on I90, though. Coeur d'Alene to Bozeman is 366 miles and there seems to only be one planned SC between them. Given the mountains, it's dicey for a 60. It looks to me like 2 are needed between Bozeman and Cd'A. Hope that's why they haven't shown up on the coming soon map.

I suspect they will realize this is too aggressive and split the legs in western Montana. They did just that for the plan passing through the Canadian Rockies. Sometimes the map does not get updated, even though the plan is already revised in principle. Probably they do not make the change until they have committed host properties for the new spacing.

Look closely, there are 2 red dots between Bozeman and Coeur d'Alene on the 2014 map. Even then, it's hard to space them well.

See Crossing the Montana Supercharger Desert; Any Generous HPC/HPWC owners along I-90? - Page 4 and a few messages beyond for some discussion.

It would be really nice to put a Supercharger in Butte to cover the I-90/I-15 intersection and provide a point for future coverage of I-15. Once you do that, it's tough to place the remaining Supercharger and have good distances on either side for bad weather and elevation. It's just a little too far from Coeur d'Alene to Missoula. The resort that I found in Alberton, just west of Missoula is about as good as you can get.

I hope Tesla can get at a few more Superchargers in soon, or can surprise us with some that are done/almost done soon. I would really like to drive to Oregon/Washington in October in my MS.

We agree, I90 has some limited options. What I was reacting to is the run from Cd'A to Missoula which is 166 miles through the Bitterroots as you also pointed out. I'd do a range charge in my 85 and be ok but the 60 folks are going to be cutting it pretty close. I'd hate to see 60s get cut out of that route. A 4 bay SC in St Regis, MT would be great - cuts that long run in half. By the way,the current 2014 map (aug 11) seems to show an SC well to the east of Bozeman, maybe Big Timber but that's only 80ish miles from Billings. I thought we had soft confirmation of a Bozeman charger. Makes me believe the 2014 I90 map is still in flux.

Cranbrook, BC is 200km (160mi) north of Coeur d'Alene. Site a supercharger in Cranbrook and you've connected the proposed Golden, BC supercharger (246 km north of Cranbrook) to the I90 corridor. Add a second supercharger in the Radium Hot Springs/Invermere area and you've eased this distance and you've added in Hwy 93 as a supercharged route to Canmore (160 km from Radium).

Cranbrook would also add access to Kalispell, MT (222km / 138 mi) and on to Missoula, MT (118 mi south of Kalispell).

Cranbrook, BC is 200km (160mi) north of Coeur d'Alene. Site a supercharger in Cranbrook and you've connected the proposed Golden, BC supercharger (246 km north of Cranbrook) to the I90 corridor. Add a second supercharger in the Radium Hot Springs/Invermere area and you've eased this distance and you've added in Hwy 93 as a supercharged route to Canmore (160 km from Radium).

Cranbrook would also add access to Kalispell, MT (222km / 138 mi) and on to Missoula, MT (118 mi south of Kalispell).

Great ideas!

Please everyone, when you have these ideas, or you see problems at Superchargers, send e-mails to [email protected]. When I have sent suggestions and issues with Superchargers to this address, I get thoughtful replies from humans who care.

Great ideas!

Please everyone, when you have these ideas, or you see problems at Superchargers, send e-mails to [email protected]. When I have sent suggestions and issues with Superchargers to this address, I get thoughtful replies from humans who care.

Okay, I'll do that as well as recommending Superchargers in the Kelowna and Omak areas for another connection between the I90 corridor and tha Vancouver - Calgary route.

I'll still post here for feedback from others.

Thanks

Current discussion in this thread: Supercharger - Coeur d'Alene, ID

Very sure the location will be at the Springhill Suites. Stay tuned and watch the permits, here.

Andy,

Can you give the nature of your source? There have been no new permits that could be anywhere near Springhill Suites. i.e., nothing on Seltice and nothing on 22nd or 23rd. I may head over to Coeur d'Alene this coming weekend and ask around.

I did stop by the Springhill Suites in Coeur D'Alene last Saturday evening on my way into Montana. It is a really nice location-- looks brand new. Alas, there are no signs of construction at all. Nonetheless, I parked in what MIGHT be the area they intend to use, near the parking lot entrance from the street, and AWAY from the hotel entrance (which would be wise to discourage ICEing):
IMG_4160.jpg
IMG_4159.jpg

To those of you that have been to the Springhill Suites did you find any eating places nearby. Except for the hotel it looked to be a fair distance to any other options.

This would be a regular stop for me.

Writing this from the Springhill Suites as we speak! Fantastic hotel. LOVE the free EV charger they have.

There are a number of restaurants in the 1-2 mile radius. Not very walking friendly though.

Thank's MiddKid. I looked for dining on Google and did not find any that appeared to be walkable.

Looking like I won't be making a MS trip to Kalispell this fall. Without a SpCh in CDA it makes it to inconvenient. With no construction taking place yet it won't be done before the snow flies.

Thank's MiddKid. I looked for dining on Google and did not find any that appeared to be walkable.

Looking like I won't be making a MS trip to Kalispell this fall. Without a SpCh in CDA it makes it to inconvenient. With no construction taking place yet it won't be done before the snow flies.

Hi, I am a new member and this is my first post.

I live in Coeur d'Alene and am very familiar with the area around the Springhill Suites. There are several places to eat that are relatively close to the hotel(within 1 to 2 blocks). Actually if you look at the second photo of Vger above you can see an Outback Steakhouse (look just above the yellow fire hydrant) that is immediately across Northwest Blvd. To the south of the hotel is a mixed condo/movie/shopping development called Riverstone. It is walkable and has several sit down options as well as a McDonalds. The development can be reached by a bicycle trail (Centennial Trail) or a more direct dirt path leading to the south.

I don't have a Model S yet but once a property of mine in Spokane sells I be able to order my 85. I can hardly wait for it and for the SpCh to go in.

John

Hi, I am a new member and this is my first post.

I live in Coeur d'Alene and am very familiar with the area around the Springhill Suites. There are several places to eat that are relatively close to the hotel(within 1 to 2 blocks). Actually if you look at the second photo of Vger above you can see an Outback Steakhouse (look just above the yellow fire hydrant) that is immediately across Northwest Blvd. To the south of the hotel is a mixed condo/movie/shopping development called Riverstone. It is walkable and has several sit down options as well as a McDonalds. The development can be reached by a bicycle trail (Centennial Trail) or a more direct dirt path leading to the south.

I don't have a Model S yet but once a property of mine in Spokane sells I be able to order my 85. I can hardly wait for it and for the SpCh to go in.

John

Welcome! Please keep us updated with this super charger location.

Stopped by the SpringHill Suites Marriott in Coeur D'Alene to see if construction was underway. It was not. Spoke with Matt Hoffman, the Director of Sales at the hotel. He reported that the SC would not be at the SpringHill as planned due to zoning restrictions regarding the number of parking spaces on the property. He was disappointed because the SC would not be on the property. He knew the SC would be in CDA, but did not know where. He reported that he has been working with Tesla and planned to install two HPWC's at the hotel.

I'll be in the area for a day or two. If anyone has information regarding the new site location, I'll be glad to check it out.

Last edited: