Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - College Station, TX - Texas Avenue South

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gig'Em
I was at my A&M Consolidated High School class reunion last month, which was hosted at The Stella hotel. I was surprised there was a charger in front of the main entrance that wasn't on plugshare.com website. There was a Model S plugged into it so I don't the details but thought someone local might want to take a look and add it to plugshare.

I'm out a Pebble Creek so that is a bit out of my normal stomping grounds but I have an activity at the A&M HSC next Wednesday so I'll stop by and check it out.

Heads up to those traveling to College Station. I was recently there and the Homewood Suites Tesla charger is damaged. In retrospect, I believe it is missing the plastic cover on the top of the connector. I am a very new owner and didn’t know that was a problem. It bent a connector in my port and then I couldn’t charge. Had to drive as far north as possible and then tow into Dallas. Not a great first roadtrip experience but Tesla was great about it and took care if me.

Heads up to those traveling to College Station. I was recently there and the Homewood Suites Tesla charger is damaged. In retrospect, I believe it is missing the plastic cover on the top of the connector. I am a very new owner and didn’t know that was a problem. It bent a connector in my port and then I couldn’t charge. Had to drive as far north as possible and then tow into Dallas. Not a great first roadtrip experience but Tesla was great about it and took care if me.
That's terrible. Thanks for the update!

Is that the Homewood @ 950 University Dr (PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You)

I presume this SC isn't open or even started yet? Heading to the game this Saturday (my first time back in probably 6 years) and wondering if there are viable charging options on football weekends. Or am I better off filling up in Waco/Corsicana on my way into town and then again on the way out. I'm coming from Dallas.

I presume this SC isn't open or even started yet? Heading to the game this Saturday (my first time back in probably 6 years) and wondering if there are viable charging options on football weekends. Or am I better off filling up in Waco/Corsicana on my way into town and then again on the way out. I'm coming from Dallas.
I’d fill up on the way in and the way out on a busy weekend.

Some hotels have charging.
Some of the campus garages have charging (EVgo last time I was there). I wouldn’t count on availability or access.

• Informative
Reactions: Boourns
Waco will probably be as busy as ever, but likely your best bet, and a fallback if you can't find anything in CS.

Coming from the North you could try that DC out in the industrial park to the NE of the city, it is at the backside of a kitchen cabinet manufacturer. It sounds weird but it is legit, I've used it for making the trip from College Station straight to Junction SC trip before.

If you get early enough you might get lucky on one of the J-1772s in the parking garages on campus. I've never gotten the paid ones to work for me but the free one in the North Garage has been 100% reliable. There's also a J-1772 out at the Bush library.

Plus, as @brkaus mentions there's a number of DC at hotels. The one on University just East of Texas Ave says "customers only" but they've never hassled me when I've used it on the days where I'm not eating at their little in-house buffet (I do eat there sometimes, though).

I often get a burger at Grub further East on University, and charge at the one near that.

• Informative
I did the trip last weekend stopping at Waco SC on way down (Sat) and way back (Sun), plus I plugged into a 110 outlet at the house I was staying at overnight (added about 50 miles). Waco has 10 stalls, but 1 had a broken sign on it.

There were only 4-5 other Teslas there both times I was there, so finding a stall wasn't an issue. When I got there Sunday morning at about 10:30am, I was the only one and so I pulled into 3A. Then, another Tesla showed and decided to park in 3B. He didn't realize that he was about to cut my charging in half, so I politely informed him of the issue and he pulled into another spot.

• Informative
You are most certainly better off filling up in Waco/Corsicana on your way in and out. One thing public chargers are still mostly useless for is high attendance events. They often get ICEd or are otherwise inaccessible and even if they are available, it's often a major headache trying to find them or navigate through traffic to get to them. The possible exception is if you can find a hotel where you can charge while you stay.

He didn't realize that he was about to cut my charging in half, so I politely informed him of the issue and he pulled into another spot.

No that won't happen. Whoever starts charging first in a paired stall, will get the full load as much as the car can receive and the remaining goes to the one that plugged in next.

So if you plugged in first and you are currently charging at 100kWh, then assuming the SuperCharger capacity is 120 kWh, the other car will get only the remaining 20 kWh. As you car fills up, the taper will be the same as if you were the only one, and the other car will get progressively more charge, as yours tapers down.

I did the trip last weekend stopping at Waco SC on way down (Sat) and way back (Sun), plus I plugged into a 110 outlet at the house I was staying at overnight (added about 50 miles). Waco has 10 stalls, but 1 had a broken sign on it.

There were only 4-5 other Teslas there both times I was there, so finding a stall wasn't an issue. When I got there Sunday morning at about 10:30am, I was the only one and so I pulled into 3A. Then, another Tesla showed and decided to park in 3B. He didn't realize that he was about to cut my charging in half, so I politely informed him of the issue and he pulled into another spot.
He wouldn't cut into your charge rate, but rather he would limit his own charge rate. Either way good to inform him about pairing.

Reactions: TexLaw and Boourns
No that won't happen. Whoever starts charging first in a paired stall, will get the full load as much as the car can receive and the remaining goes to the one that plugged in next.

So if you plugged in first and you are currently charging at 100kWh, then assuming the SuperCharger capacity is 120 kWh, the other car will get only the remaining 20 kWh. As you car fills up, the taper will be the same as if you were the only one, and the other car will get progressively more charge, as yours tapers down.
Mostly true. If you're pulling at above 120kW it will drop you to 120kW, this has happened to me before.

Of course that's not "cut in half" and other than that, yes, the first took hook up to the pair keeps all the 12kW sub-modules that their car is able to utilize for as long as it keeps utilizing each one.

You are most certainly better off filling up in Waco/Corsicana on your way in and out. One thing public chargers are still mostly useless for is high attendance events. They often get ICEd or are otherwise inaccessible and even if they are available, it's often a major headache trying to find them or navigate through traffic to get to them. The possible exception is if you can find a hotel where you can charge while you stay.
This one won't get ICE'd. ;) Google Maps

However you're napping in the car as it is a long walk to anything open on the weekend there, and it might be in use by another Tesla. :)

The hotels are pretty good about keeping their DC (and J-1772) open, too. I've on rare occasion seen the on-campus J-1772 chargers ICE'd, but far more likely that another EV (BEV or hybrid) will be the one that gets there ahead of you. In my anecdotal experience ICEing is a rare sight at A&M even when the parkades are full, but more and more you'll find BEVs and Volts plugged in.

Last edited:
  • Informative