Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Columbia, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure you would want one in Columbia for your situation. Maybe 30 - 50 miles out.

KC to Columbia isn't the problem. It's the lack of charging options in Columbia and the return trip back to KC that causes the problem. Stopping at Kingdom City to recharge is unreasonably far away for regular use for someone traveling KC->Columbia->KC.

I know there are a few slow chargers around Columbia at this point, but I believe they are all intended for customers of the locations where they are installed, of which I would never be. So I don't consider any of the current options to be viable for regular use.

Midway might be a workable alternative. They have the space and it's close enough to Columbia for travelers from both sides of the state. But I'm not sure how welcoming they would be there, as it is a midwest truck stop that probably see's more rolling coal drivers than EV and PHEV drivers.

Last edited:
Well we checked and the Gerbes on Broadway has a Ton of parking but unfortunately the managers were off. The employee said to call Todd and ask tomorrow.

Thanks for checking... Todd (Gerbes manager) said they are about ready to start construction on the Gerbes branded gas station there in the parking lot and he does know for sure that there will be an electric car charging component... so I'm quite hopeful we've got the spot. I've also got a call into Ron K... the electrical contractor whose name is on the permit... So one way or another we will soon know about this site. My money's on it being good news!

Thanks for checking... Todd (Gerbes manager) said they are about ready to start construction on the Gerbes branded gas station there in the parking lot and he does know for sure that there will be an electric car charging component... so I'm quite hopeful we've got the spot. I've also got a call into Ron K... the electrical contractor whose name is on the permit... So one way or another we will soon know about this site. My money's on it being good news!

I don't know. That location just doesn't feel very "Tesla" to me (as in, I don't think Tesla would pick that spot). Though I would be generally happy with that spot if true.

I don't know. That location just doesn't feel very "Tesla" to me (as in, I don't think Tesla would pick that spot). Though I would be generally happy with that spot if true.

Well, you're right and it's a good thing I didn't put money down. Just got off the phone with Ron Meyer of Meyer Electric out of Jeff City - they are doing the Gerbes gas station job and connected LEVEL 2 charger. It's not a Tesla supercharger. I'm bummed and fresh out of ideas.

I was just looking at the May construction permits for Columbia and found a $250,000 commercial alteration permit entry for Mid Missouri Electric at 2116 Vandiver Drive. Could this be it? Seems like it would be a good location.

I was just looking at the May construction permits for Columbia and found a $250,000 commercial alteration permit entry for Mid Missouri Electric at 2116 Vandiver Drive. Could this be it? Seems like it would be a good location.

It looks like it used to be a bowling alley and is now occupied by I-70 Towing. See this article from last year. Interesting...

ETA: apparently mid-Missouri dealer guy Machens (our favorite!) also leased part of the parking lot to store cars while renovations were underway.

I would guess it is not going to be at 2116 Vandiver Drive. It has crappy access to I-70, because Paris Rd. has no on/off ramps for I-70, so you have to get on/off at other streets and then hunt your way over to it.

The most likely location imo are:
1) Off of 63 south of I-70 where the super strip mall is with Lowes, Walmart SuperCenter, ans Sams Club.
2) Off of 63 north of I-70 in the mess of shopping / eating areas, near where Home Depot is.
3) Off of Stadium Blvd. south of I-70 at Columbia mall or one of the 2 strip malls south of Columbia mall.

Bonus possibilities:
1) The Best Buy / Hobby Lobby lot across Stadium Blvd. from Columbia Mall.
2) Off the Business Loop 70 exit in the lot with Harbor Freight, ALDIs, and Moser's.
3) St. Charles Rd. exit off I-70 (far east side) where Harley-Davidson is.

Last edited:
I had really hoped to drive from Maine to TMC Connect this year, stopping in to visit with good friends in KC. Clearly not happening this year.... :cursing:

Why not? St. Charles to Independence is only 213 miles. Plenty of people have made it already.

Agreed, assuming you have an 85. I just did it both ways last weekend. Averaged just under 70mph, which is the speed limit on that stretch of road. On the way back I even had to stop for a "potty break". Oh, and this is without Nav, so I was manually projecting my buffer/cushion using Projected Range minus distance remaining (as shown by tesla.plugshare.com turn-by-turn directions).

STL -> KC: 249.5mi (100%) -> 12.5mi (5%)
KC -> STL: 246.2 (98%) -> 15.7mi (6%)

STL to KC:
STLtoKC.png

KC to STL:
KCtoSTL.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So now the Supercharger Team says August and it's in Columbia... looks like I'll be runnin' the gap in 2 weeks without it. Thanks to those early pioneers (Pre-Columbian) who have proven it's do-able. But hopefully on my way back in mid August I'll be back up to 75-80mph cruising knowing I've got quick Columbian electrons awaiting!!! Who can find a permit or a local source who knows the exact location??? And where the H E double L is that MX design studio??? This is what I found in my inbox this morning from the SC Team:

Hi Mark,
Thank you for checking in. We have chosen a location in the Columbia, MO area but we have not begun construction. We are doing everything we can to open this station as soon as possible, but the timeline may shift into August. As always, we are unable to guarantee opening dates. We appreciate your patience and we wish you an enjoyable trip!

Thank you,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Found it! Just got off the phone with the Columbia Building Department. It's to be at the Columbia Holiday Inn East at 910 Port Way. The case number is 15-2398 and it's scheduled to be decided this week - so no permit quite yet. And the good news is that while there's not a lot else close by, there is, according to google maps, the "Giggle's Thrift Store" just around the corner!

Maybe some of you local boys should attend the review approval meeting to make sure no Columbian bad guys (or whoever's been holding up this site for so long) are able to derailed this!

And Wow, this has been a long time coming!!!!

We drove both directions across MO about a week ago in our P85D with no range anxiety (216 mi each way, going west--rain for the first half and bridge repairs second half, so probably averaged a bit less than 65 mph, going east--might have averaged 70 mph).

This is my first post, so what other info is believed to be of interest.

Columbia SC will be an improvement but I don't recall a Port St from my days at MIZZOU.

Found it! Just got off the phone with the Columbia Building Department. It's to be at the Columbia Holiday Inn East at 910 Port Way.

Wahoo! Thanks for calling and sharing your findings!

The case number is 15-2398 and it's scheduled to be decided this week - so no permit quite yet.

Maybe some of you local boys should attend the review approval meeting to make sure no Columbian bad guys (or whoever's been holding up this site for so long) are able to derailed this!

Any idea how to find out when/where the hearing would be? I'd consider a drive from St Louis, as I'd imagine a few other owners (or future owners) might as well.

And the good news is that while there's not a lot else close by, there is, according to google maps, the "Giggle's Thrift Store" just around the corner!

From Google Street View, I can see a Jimmy John's across the street to the south. Heading west to the intersection with E St Charles Rd, there's a gas station (snacks) and a car wash. It also looks like they've planned for some kind of future development just to the east, so perhaps we'll see another restaurant chain take root there.

Lobby for Black Mtn, NC Supercharger

Now where do I go to suggest Black Mtn, NC supercharger.

It is right on I-40 and would complete path from Nashville, TN to Nags Head NC.

It has a great BBQ House and is a jumping-off place for North Carolina mountain excursions.

great news on the Columbia SC inching closer to reality.

I just drove back an forth between the independence and St Charles superchargers this past weekend on my S85, it was pretty easy but it will be a lot easier when Columbia is in place.