Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Columbia, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed this morning and also copied the hotel. There are a few points that need to be made as this is not an isolated issue at this hotel, but "policy".

1. Availability of charger stalls is not a luxury for owners, but a vital necessity. There are many scenarios imaginable where lack of availability due to this type of ICEing might cause severe hardship. Many others where an emergency might be happening with a family member at home and you are trying to get back, etc…

2. Imagine if folks parked at a gas station blocking all of the pumps all night because they “needed the space”. Police would be called, as would CNN.

3. One silly orange cone for one stall (4b) is not the answer.

4. 30 minute general parking spots at a hotel are not really useful. (DUMB) They should all be "charging only". Nobody parks in the back of a hotel for only 30 minutes… they’d be at the front. 30 minutes might make sense at a shopping mall, sure. But at a hotel - no.

Just an update - only a reply so far from Tesla. (as noted) The hotel manager has not replied, nor the the supercharger team.

So I followed up last night with an email, copying the President of the little company that has the HGI franchise at that location and also sent along this picture - from a Plugshare User:

185335.jpeg

Nice to see how well a "cone" works....

I told them if somebody doesn't address this rather disgraceful image, I'll tweet it to Elon....

Here is the reply:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at the Columbia, SC Supercharger Station during your recent trip. We take your feedback seriously and we are working with the hotel management to ensure the stalls remain available for use at all times. In addition, we are scouting for alternative properties in the area to provide a better customer experience and give our owners more charging option along this route.

Please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns. We appreciate your support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Best Regards,

The Tesla Supercharger Team

Here is the reply:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at the Columbia, SC Supercharger Station during your recent trip. We take your feedback seriously and we are working with the hotel management to ensure the stalls remain available for use at all times. In addition, we are scouting for alternative properties in the area to provide a better customer experience and give our owners more charging option along this route.

Please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns. We appreciate your support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Best Regards,

The Tesla Supercharger Team

Got exact same reply this morning after I resent email with picture.

Wow. Wann get angrier? Read this response from the hotel manager. Awareness?? Laws?? How about LITERACY???? "Tesla Charging Only". How about you - the manager - telling staff it is OK to have cars park there???

Read on:

Good Afternoon,

We do value our Diamond Members very much and all guests who visit our property. I am very regretful to know that my team did not meet your expectations.

As for the Super Chargers, based on your email you were able to charge and 5 other stalls were open even if two non-Tesla were parked at 9:40am. When Tesla traffic rises, I am sure awareness will increase automatically then general public will be more respectful of the need. But, I can see an issue with the night picture and that is a concern. We take all concerns very seriously and do our best to guide Non-Tesla owners to park elsewhere in the parking lot if parking becomes an issue. I remember the night when this picture was taken. We found two guests within minutes and they were happy to move. I spoke to those Tesla drivers personally. I understood their frustration as this is a necessity for Tesla Vehicles.

Let me say that Tesla does not pay any fee to our hotel. We have partnered with them in their progressive forward thinking and have taken up this initiative our goodwill toward environment as a Hilton Hotel. We are happy to host guests while they charge as chargers have become an amenity for our guests. Today I spoke to a Tesla Representative and gave some suggestions and ideas, hopefully this issue will not repeat. A simple 25-foot cord might do the trick!

At this point, there is no law stopping guests from parking in Tesla/EV stalls such as a Handicap Parking. However, we will continue work with Tesla to improve experience for our mutual guests and ultimately the real issue is awareness. I am sure Tesla will do a better job of marketing as we still get asked if Tesla takes premium or regular gas along with battery charge. This is a partnership between Tesla and Super Charger hosts that has worked very well mostly as many Tesla owners have genuinely appreciated our team and hotel for hosting them while they charge and we take pride in doing that.

We thank you for your loyalty with Hilton and it is always our goal to do the best we can for each and every guest. Have a great weekend!

Warm Regards,

Ashish Desai
General Manager

Wow. Wann get angrier? Read this response from the hotel manager. Awareness?? Laws?? How about LITERACY???? "Tesla Charging Only". How about you - the manager - telling staff it is OK to have cars park there???

Read on:

Good Afternoon,

We do value our Diamond Members very much and all guests who visit our property. I am very regretful to know that my team did not meet your expectations.

As for the Super Chargers, based on your email you were able to charge and 5 other stalls were open even if two non-Tesla were parked at 9:40am. When Tesla traffic rises, I am sure awareness will increase automatically then general public will be more respectful of the need. But, I can see an issue with the night picture and that is a concern. We take all concerns very seriously and do our best to guide Non-Tesla owners to park elsewhere in the parking lot if parking becomes an issue. I remember the night when this picture was taken. We found two guests within minutes and they were happy to move. I spoke to those Tesla drivers personally. I understood their frustration as this is a necessity for Tesla Vehicles.

Let me say that Tesla does not pay any fee to our hotel. We have partnered with them in their progressive forward thinking and have taken up this initiative our goodwill toward environment as a Hilton Hotel. We are happy to host guests while they charge as chargers have become an amenity for our guests. Today I spoke to a Tesla Representative and gave some suggestions and ideas, hopefully this issue will not repeat. A simple 25-foot cord might do the trick!

At this point, there is no law stopping guests from parking in Tesla/EV stalls such as a Handicap Parking. However, we will continue work with Tesla to improve experience for our mutual guests and ultimately the real issue is awareness. I am sure Tesla will do a better job of marketing as we still get asked if Tesla takes premium or regular gas along with battery charge. This is a partnership between Tesla and Super Charger hosts that has worked very well mostly as many Tesla owners have genuinely appreciated our team and hotel for hosting them while they charge and we take pride in doing that.

We thank you for your loyalty with Hilton and it is always our goal to do the best we can for each and every guest. Have a great weekend!

Warm Regards,

Ashish Desai
General Manager

Props for a personal response... details are sketchy. lol. The picture is the one I took back in March.

We found two guests within minutes and they were happy to move.

Yeah, I wish. We were there for quite a while before the manager even got involved, let alone before someone moved. I probably still have the dash cam footage in my archive, but was well over an hour before I was able to charge. While my wife and our friend were tracking down management and such, I was scouting to see if there was any way to access the rear of the chargers (at this location it's pretty much impossible in a full size vehicle). I was also asking every person I saw outside if any of these were their cars, or if they knew who's they were. Lot's of wasted time.

Management had no idea which guests were parked there. They don't take tag numbers or anything at this hotel. The only reason they were able to find someone to move was because a guest had come in several hours earlier, and when she parked there (only available spot for her to park) she mentioned to a woman at the front desk that she had to park in the way of a charger. Luckily, a few hours later, that same front desk attendant was still on duty and was able to figure out which guest that was, contact her, and the manager offered her some bonus reward points in exchange for moving her vehicle to a different spot at this late hour. (There were a few non-charger spots open at this point).

So yeah, that one line from that manager's response irked me.

I would ask that if people are going to continue to submit complaints about the issue that they stop over and get updated photos during peak hours/events/etc. I'd already sent my photos to Tesla's supercharger team, upon request, as well as the hotel manager.

Props for a personal response... details are sketchy. lol. The picture is the one I took back in March.

We found two guests within minutes and they were happy to move.

Yeah, I wish. We were there for quite a while before the manager even got involved, let alone before someone moved. I probably still have the dash cam footage in my archive, but was well over an hour before I was able to charge. While my wife and our friend were tracking down management and such, I was scouting to see if there was any way to access the rear of the chargers (at this location it's pretty much impossible in a full size vehicle). I was also asking every person I saw outside if any of these were their cars, or if they knew who's they were. Lot's of wasted time.

Management had no idea which guests were parked there. They don't take tag numbers or anything at this hotel. The only reason they were able to find someone to move was because a guest had come in several hours earlier, and when she parked there (only available spot for her to park) she mentioned to a woman at the front desk that she had to park in the way of a charger. Luckily, a few hours later, that same front desk attendant was still on duty and was able to figure out which guest that was, contact her, and the manager offered her some bonus reward points in exchange for moving her vehicle to a different spot at this late hour. (There were a few non-charger spots open at this point).

So yeah, that one line from that manager's response irked me.

I would ask that if people are going to continue to submit complaints about the issue that they stop over and get updated photos during peak hours/events/etc. I'd already sent my photos to Tesla's supercharger team, upon request, as well as the hotel manager.

Thanks for this and thanks for taking that picture. Apologies for resending it, but I could not seem to find a date attributed to it on Plugshare. Of course, I did not pass it off as my own but as an example of what I was complaining about!

This manager's response would be comical, if not for the hardship their attitude has caused, and will cause, Tesla owners expecting to charge here at night. It is a disgraceful response in my opinion and rather dismissive of Tesla and owners.

I have stopped here a few times, always purchased breakfast and told them at the desk that I appreciated the charging stalls and was showing it by spending money at the hotel. (I do this at other hotel locations as well) This last time will be my last - certainly. And as a Hilton guy, I will never be staying here - or at any of this franchisee's other locations. Not only due to their policy, but because of this ridiculous email response that is a reflection of their corporate leadership.

Crazy!!