TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Columbus, TX

Discussion in 'Texas Supercharger locations' started by texag, Nov 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. texag

texag New Member

Had a little idle time while Supercharging in Columbus a few weeks ago, so I recreated the poster-child Supercharge picture found on the landing page of Supercharger | Tesla to reflect a newer Model S than when their photo was taken (~2012):
    Screenshot 2016-11-02 17.29.31.png
    2016:
    Screenshot 2016-11-02 17.30.22.png
    This location is still in decent shape, but could use a little TLC.

• Like x 2
  2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Nice shot!

3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Did they swap out the pedistals?

4. L.Robinson

L.Robinson Member

I was there twice last week (first time on I10) and did not recognize it as being the location of that photo. I was the 4th charging the first time and moved once one of the other three left to get the higher charge rate. I did see that pedestal 3B has a worn connector to the point that the internal conductor(s) are exposed on their side. I also noticed that this place is in a flood plane. The hotel is elevated as are the transformers for the hotel and the Tesla gear and the Tesla charging equipment. Only the pedestals are 6+ feet lower than those platforms. So if it is flooding in the area check ahead if planning to use them.

5. ThortsMD

ThortsMD Member

That tree branch also hangs out over the cars. I had a big side branch land on my roof while charging there.

6. Speight

Speight Member

The site has the old pedestal design. Apparently, at some point post-pedestal-design-change and pre-S-refresh they must have "swapped out" the pedestals in the photo with Photoshop. I wonder if they digitally edited out the streetlamp also.

7. KublaConn

KublaConn Member

Welcome to Texas! That's a pecan tree, our state tree, and it's a shade-intolerant species, meaning it will engage in "self-pruning", where it drops any branch that it deems isn't getting enough sunlight to be useful anymore. This feature makes pecan trees resilient and able to survive in the sometimes harsh & dry Texas climate, but it also means you don't want to plant one next to your driveway, or at least be very proactive in maintaining the tree if you do so.

• Informative x 3
  8. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler It refuels itself. On wind power. While I sleep.

Fun fact: Columbus has conduit in place to add a future fourth SC cabinet and two more stalls.

9. CA X90

CA X90 New Member

Stopped @ Columbus SC on 4/23/18 and they WERE operating even though Tesla mapping says they are not in operation and are closed. 100+ KW

10. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

The one you happened to plug into was working. Others are not.

11. thenaimis

thenaimis Member

Is the Columbus SC being shut down? Seems I heard that mentioned on another thread, relating to leases expiring. And massive flooding.

12. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  13. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I also used it yesterday and it was fine .I will use it again tomorrow on the way back from Houston to SA.

14. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

The superchargers are elevated so flooding never caused it much of a problem. Same story at a couple other locations. Marathon, FL comes to mind.

That being said, when a supercharger location gets flooded, it is unusable until the floodwaters mostly subside. No one is going to drive their 100k car into multiple feet of water just to plug in even if the electrons are flowing.

15. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

is there a reason people think it is moving, and not just a second location to supplement the route?

16. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It doesn’t need a second location to supplement the route, with Flatonia being 30 miles away and the other Austin-Houston route (US 290) getting a supercharger. The thought of 5 year lease expiring was entirely speculation on my part. Until there is a building permit for another location, actually all of this is just speculation based on a utility site survey. Often nothing ever comes of those. Nothing to get all worked up about on two threads.

• Informative x 1
  17. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Someone on the Austin / San Antonio area group list reported that Columbus is restored to proper full functionality. They talked to a tech repairing it.

• Informative x 1
  18. wart

wart Nosecone Member

Anyone still curious about Columbus? I'm charging here right now. Getting over 100 kW on 1B. It's the newer style pedestals now. Same old location.

• Informative x 1