Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Columbus, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a little idle time while Supercharging in Columbus a few weeks ago, so I recreated the poster-child Supercharge picture found on the landing page of Supercharger | Tesla to reflect a newer Model S than when their photo was taken (~2012):
Screenshot 2016-11-02 17.29.31.png

2016:
Screenshot 2016-11-02 17.30.22.png

This location is still in decent shape, but could use a little TLC.

I was there twice last week (first time on I10) and did not recognize it as being the location of that photo. I was the 4th charging the first time and moved once one of the other three left to get the higher charge rate. I did see that pedestal 3B has a worn connector to the point that the internal conductor(s) are exposed on their side. I also noticed that this place is in a flood plane. The hotel is elevated as are the transformers for the hotel and the Tesla gear and the Tesla charging equipment. Only the pedestals are 6+ feet lower than those platforms. So if it is flooding in the area check ahead if planning to use them.

That tree branch also hangs out over the cars. I had a big side branch land on my roof while charging there.

Welcome to Texas! That's a pecan tree, our state tree, and it's a shade-intolerant species, meaning it will engage in "self-pruning", where it drops any branch that it deems isn't getting enough sunlight to be useful anymore. This feature makes pecan trees resilient and able to survive in the sometimes harsh & dry Texas climate, but it also means you don't want to plant one next to your driveway, or at least be very proactive in maintaining the tree if you do so.

The superchargers are elevated so flooding never caused it much of a problem. Same story at a couple other locations. Marathon, FL comes to mind.

That being said, when a supercharger location gets flooded, it is unusable until the floodwaters mostly subside. No one is going to drive their 100k car into multiple feet of water just to plug in even if the electrons are flowing.

is there a reason people think it is moving, and not just a second location to supplement the route?
It doesn’t need a second location to supplement the route, with Flatonia being 30 miles away and the other Austin-Houston route (US 290) getting a supercharger. The thought of 5 year lease expiring was entirely speculation on my part. Until there is a building permit for another location, actually all of this is just speculation based on a utility site survey. Often nothing ever comes of those. Nothing to get all worked up about on two threads.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq