Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Concord, CA - Diamond Blvd. (LIVE 15 Jan 2021, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Referencing the pics in post #16. In the first picture, you can see the 4 Tesla V3 supercharger cabinets in the background to the left of the van. In the second picture, what you see is the switchgear and distribution cabinets and the empty pad in front of them that is protected by bollards is for the utility transformer. If there's another empty pad hiding behind the cabinetry, it's not clear what it would be for. Does it have conduit coming up through it? Guesses on what it might be for are hard to make without having a sense of its size/shape and the layout of any penetrations. A few things I can think of offhand that it might be, 1) pad for additional supercharger cabinet(s) to be added in a possible future expansion; 2) pad for a battery to be connected to the superchargers; 3) additional underground electrical vault needed for some reason; 4) not actually connected to the supercharger build.

Sorry-did not think to take photos. The hidden rear pad is stubbed out for cabling (several large conduits sticking above the concrete), and is about the same general size as the unoccupied one up front with the bollards. As I recall the penetrations are relatively central in the pad, and there are not a lot of them. FWIW if you look down at the existing Supercharger equipment layout, the PG&E transformer is in the corner next to the mall sign. So I assume that the major PG&E feed is here, and a short 'hop' up the hill to the pads in the new Supercharger equipment area.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Sorry-did not think to take photos. The hidden rear pad is stubbed out for cabling (several large conduits sticking above the concrete), and is about the same general size as the unoccupied one up front with the bollards. As I recall the penetrations are relatively central in the pad, and there are not a lot of them. FWIW if you look down at the existing Supercharger equipment layout, the PG&E transformer is in the corner next to the mall sign. So I assume that the major PG&E feed is here, and a short 'hop' up the hill to the pads in the new Supercharger equipment area.
I just remembered and went back to the beginning of the thread to check. The permit for this build includes that Tesla is also going to be installing a Megapack battery alongside the chargers. So, I'm almost positive that's what the pad will be for.

Transformer is in. It’s on the pad visible in earlier photos. The pad in the corner is about the right size for a Megapack.

Pedestals are dark, didn’t bother trying to charge.

Bruce.

4FC3A664-CDBE-4504-889C-376E9B72F9B4.jpeg
C1E65501-296E-4BD8-971E-782FD9AA7B3A.jpeg

Weird - seems like they could have lifted a Megapack over the cabinets with the right equipment.
Yeah, clearly they're going to have to use a crane to put in the Megapack. I can't really imagine that they couldn't work around the cabinets. If I may speculate, the configuration of the distribution cabinet guts must not have been right to integrate the Megapack. They probably just ordered the normal ones for a V3 Supercharger site.

So it is Saturday the 19th and I am charging at the old chargers. I went uphill to the new installation and ran into an electrical subcontractor for Tesla. The reason for the hold up is that after they dropped the original cabinets and switchgear, apparently thieves broke in and stole all the valuable bits and pieces. That’s why they had to pull out the old cabinets and put in a new one. They tell me hat their equipment is now in place, however the Megapack won’t be installed until after the new year. That will go on the open pad in the back corner and will need a crane pick. The transformer is in, and they are waiting for PG&E to energize it. They hope that this will be within the next week. Then the site should go live.

I stopped by today to see if there was any change. Visually no changes, but the original Concord charger (right next to this new one - separated by an unpaved strip with bushes only about 10 feet apart) is shut down today as "temporarily unavailable" and there was a work van parked at it. Hopefully this is work required to energize this new facility.

Just an observation that the new site's official name ("Concord, CA - Diamond Blvd.") is a little ambiguous because the original Concord, CA Supercharger also has an address on Diamond Blvd. Kind of like the two Mt. Shasta Superchargers or the two Fresno Superchargers.

Bruce.