Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Concord ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The kW means power, so in a kind of way, it is speed. The kWh is energy stored. To get 60 kwh in a battery, you could get 60kw power in it for an hour. Or then again, 30kw for 2 hours. Or better yet, 120kw for 30 minutes! The kW provided by the station cannot be controlled by you from your car. It depends on many factors. Is the stall being split in 2 ? (Another car is charging on 3b while you are charging on 3a), the state of charge of your battery, the temperature of your battery. Some superchargers are sometimes just faster than others

I just meant with respect to the cost of supercharging...are they saying 40 cents per minute while charging at 60 kW or more (I.e. Big battery when you're empty and not sharing) vs. Half that price when you're charging slowly below 60kw?

Or do they mean your first 60 kwh is at 40 cents and your next 60 is at 20 cents?

If it's the former and you're charging at an average of 80 kw for 30 mins (all above 60) you're paying about 30 cents per kwh or about 2-3 times the night rate at home .

What does 'above 60kw' mean...speed? Or did you mean kwh

As I understand it, it's about the power level of charging.

For a given minute, if the power level of charging is greater than 60kW you get charged 40c for that minute.
If the power level of charging is 60kW or less, you are charged 20c.

If you charge at 60kW for 1 minute you get 60kW x 1 minute / 60minutes per hour = 1kWh