Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger congestion problem ideas.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so as many have already thought, when the M3 comes out and when production numbers start to run into the millions, supercharger congestion is going to be an issue. At around 30 minutes a charge, what's your ideas on what could help ease the congestion?

Reactions: KJD
Having a 30 minute max in all cases is not appropriate. Someone may arrive with next to zero and need to go 100%. You don't know where they are going and where their next charging opportunity may be.

As long as people immediately vacate after charging, it'a up to Tesla to continue to innovate to increase the charging rate/decrease charging time, and install additional stalls to meet demand.

I am very much in favor of Tesla's idle time charge. In fact, I'd love to see it tiered: 5-15 minutes idle is x, 15-30 is 2x, and anything over 30 is 3x the cost per minute.

Reactions: Bennny
Picking up car Saturday.

Sunday will be my first supercharging B experience as I travel to San Diego and I'll need to charge/add at least 20 miles to give me a buffer to get home. I've read on this forum that the San Diego supercharger is commonly packed with a waiting Que. forum members say it's commonly Qual Comm employees parking their cars there for the day.

Point is whether an idle fee or something else, I'm for something to prevent spaces being taken without charging.

has it been asked if these people who park there all day know what they are doing? I wonder if they are ignorant or just don't care.

Home chargeing is the solution. I say this because I feel most congestion is due to daily supercharging by people close to home ETC.

Most people don't drive more then 50 - 100 miles a day, if they plug in at night then they can do it all over again the next day no super charger needed. My Wife commutes 140 miles per day and even with the smallest battery pack she would be able to skip the supercharger. This is the most convenient as it would save her the 30min-1 hr at a supercharger ignoring whatever the wait time or congestion might be there and also not adding more time to her 2hour and 40 min commute. So my answer again is home charging or possibly charging at work if they have that option. Superchargers are for road trips.

Home chargeing is the solution. I say this because I feel most congestion is due to daily supercharging by people close to home ETC.

Most people don't drive more then 50 - 100 miles a day, if they plug in at night then they can do it all over again the next day no super charger needed. My Wife commutes 140 miles per day and even with the smallest battery pack she would be able to skip the supercharger. This is the most convenient as it would save her the 30min-1 hr at a supercharger ignoring whatever the wait time or congestion might be there and also not adding more time to her 2hour and 40 min commute. So my answer again is home charging or possibly charging at work if they have that option. Superchargers are for road trips.

Many don't have capability to charge at home. (Apartments, condos, etc).

I plan on talking to people at super chargers and gathering info.

Reactions: callmesam
There are plenty of existing threads concerning this topic, in which most of the FUD has been addressed.

Tesla has committed to density as well as to distance for 2 years now. SCs are not just for distance usage.

And there is no significant "daily supercharging" by locals. Perpetuating this myth only does a disservice to the non-garaged potential owners who have been, are, and will be welcome to use SCs unless and until they can arrange charging at home or at work.

Finally, it helps to keep the Model 3 in perspective. Half the production will go overseas. A significant percentage of domestic production will end up in California and NY/NJ/CT. California is scheduled to get over 12,000 new public chargers and that's just from the utilities. The net is that each of the other states will absorb an average of 1,000 Model 3s per year and all will be well.

Will there be occasional congestion? Sure. Go to any Costco for gas on a Sunday afternoon and you'll see the same thing. By the way, a new Costco hereabouts opened with 10-12 spiffy new EV charging spaces. Almost completely empty.

Mods - consider merging this thread with any of the others.

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk always said that he was open to sharing the network with other automakers"
IK he has said this before but with the 3 coming out IDK how this would work. Future Chevrolet's charging at Tesla SC's will just overload the system even more. Unless plans for a SC at every gas station?
I am mostly a home charger and will be onto my next S in 3 years before NY has these issues. I guess I will just enjoy it while it lasts :)

Future Chevrolet's charging at Tesla SC's will just overload the system even more.

Why on Earth would anyone expect 'the system' to be static. Tesla is planning on doubling the superchargers before the Model 3 is released. More cars means more money which means more chargers. As long as the ratio remains roughly the same, no big deal. [Yes, fewer chargers will be needed per car, with increasing numbers, as many of the chargers are area limited rather than car limited.]

I know that Elon has done the math, and could tell you how many Superchargers will be needed when every car on the roads is an electric car which can use them.

Thank you kindly.

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan and callmesam
Tesla should start charging a fine after 5 or 10 minutes and the charge should be per minute, not a flat one off after a certain delay. This is how parking charges work and no one complains about that except when enforcement officers stay waiting to issue notices 1 second after expiry time which is not going to happen with SC idle fees.

Tesla should start charging a fine after 5 or 10 minutes and the charge should be per minute, not a flat one off after a certain delay. This is how parking charges work and no one complains about that except when enforcement officers stay waiting to issue notices 1 second after expiry time which is not going to happen with SC idle fees.

Jay, I think that this approach would be nigh on impossible to implement, collect and enforce. I think it would also generate adverse publicity for Tesla when a guilty party posts on the net, "Tesla fined me $15 because my car stayed 5 minutes too long at a Supercharger! I had a small emergency with my 5-year old daughter and could not return in time!" Not to mention that people cancel or change credit cards, and will not want to deposit X dollars with Tesla for possible future use. And I do not see Tesla having a call center to handle such disputes over these putative fines for staying too long.

While it is easy for me to challenge your point, alas, I cannot offer up a sensible and reasonable solution. :eek:

@cpa it will be easy for Tesla to issue fines in Tesla credit. You would have your Tesla credits reduced. You could even end up with negative credit which means you'd have to reload credits to be able to use SC again. What would happen with a parking ticket if we had an unexpected emergency - we'd pay up. Unfortunately, there will always be situations when people will get penalised wrongly. However in general, and for the vast majority of SC users, this could work very well. Just as with parking tickets, we just need to plan ahead in advance and that way, the chance of unexpected emergencies resulting in fines can be minimised. Talking about being unfair, I think it will be much more unjust if an SC user ends up having to wait for hours just because someone decided to go shopping with their car plugged in. I think that can provoke much more negative publicity than Tesla enforcing a well laid out code of conduct for SC users.

Last edited:
Reactions: Az_Rael
"Tesla CEO Elon Musk always said that he was open to sharing the network with other automakers"
IK he has said this before but with the 3 coming out IDK how this would work. Future Chevrolet's charging at Tesla SC's will just overload the system even more. Unless plans for a SC at every gas station?
I am mostly a home charger and will be onto my next S in 3 years before NY has these issues. I guess I will just enjoy it while it lasts :)

'In Musk... we must trust.'

You figure they have the Model S usage stats over years, they have the information on where these model s/x/3 reservations are (density, location, etc) and usage history. You also can wager they have teams working on: higher capacity batteries, better architecture, better cooling, faster charging, etc etc etc.

Finally, who has a huge incentive to make sure everyone has a great Tesla experience and who is the CEO most likely to trade off short term profits for long term customer satisfaction......

...we hope.....