Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cooma NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it's fine for leisurely trips (I've prompted a few of those destination chargers along the way to be installed) or if you are staying at one of the few places you can park and charge, but what's really needed to open up any such destinations is a supercharger close enough to allow people to charge, drive up and park for a reasonable period then drive back to the supercharger. One day.

A 60 won't make, say, Mt Hotham from Euroa at all in winter temps. Coming down is easier :) So really need something between Myrtleford and Bright especially if you add in range loss while parked in sub zero temps for some days. Wodonga return might be doable in larger battery variants but a long detour.

EVTripPlanner claims 28.6kWh + 12.6kWh for the round trip so 41.2kWh nominal at around 5C average. So in theory would make it unless the weather was particularly bad up the mountains. That of course is the risk if you're heading up to no charging and highly variable conditions so I wouldn't attempt it personally :). Although worst case you'd always get back down to somewhere like Feathertop or Gapsted to top up over lunch!

EVTripPlanner claims 28.6kWh + 12.6kWh for the round trip so 41.2kWh nominal at around 5C average. So in theory would make it unless the weather was particularly bad up the mountains. That of course is the risk if you're heading up to no charging and highly variable conditions so I wouldn't attempt it personally :). Although worst case you'd always get back down to somewhere like Feathertop or Gapsted to top up over lunch!
Definitely very risky unless you've got a destination charger tee'd up.
I've had a similar experience on a road trip in Tassie. Limited charging options, had about 50km range while dining in 5C night with a 20km journey after it. Battery was freezing and had to climb a mountain to get back, was losing about 3km range every 1km.

Definitely very risky unless you've got a destination charger tee'd up.
I've had a similar experience on a road trip in Tassie. Limited charging options, had about 50km range while dining in 5C night with a 20km journey after it. Battery was freezing and had to climb a mountain to get back, was losing about 3km range every 1km.
Yep, without a destination charger, it makes trips to the snow almost impossible, if its for more than a couple of days. Euroa to Mt Buller is fine, but 99% of cars have to park in the lower car parks. You couldn't leave the car there, covered in snow for 5 or 6 days with any confidence of getting back to Euroa. They definitely need a small supercharger station at the bottom of Melbourne's most popular mountain.

One thing to remember is that the UMC will do a pretty good job, it's not all about DCs.
You get about 240km range per day just with an extension cord and the UMC.
I've managed Sydney to Orange return on two occasions now, by using the UMC overnight. Painfully slow, but if you're there for the weekend you could be 100% by the time you leave.

I stopped at the new Cooma supercharger on my way to Merimbula on Monday 26 June for a charge, and a couple of blokes from the council came over, said hello, and said I was the first one to use it (or at least the first they had seen, seems unlikely I was actually the first but you never know) and took my photo to put in their newsletter! ChrisH, Sydney, S85D. I can make it to Merimbula from Goulburn on a full charge with some left over, but not enough for too many side trips. Coming back, with Brown Mountain in the way, very useful - I would be an estimated 15km short, have always had to stop in Canberra.

IMG_2529.JPG

I stopped at the new Cooma supercharger on my way to Merimbula on Monday 26 June for a charge, and a couple of blokes from the council came over, said hello, and said I was the first one to use it (or at least the first they had seen, seems unlikely I was actually the first but you never know) and took my photo to put in their newsletter! ChrisH, Sydney, S85D. I can make it to Merimbula from Goulburn on a full charge with some left over, but not enough for too many side trips. Coming back, with Brown Mountain in the way, very useful - I would be an estimated 15km short, have always had to stop in Canberra.

View attachment 233594

I beat you by 2 day, but only posted to the TOCA Facebook and slack. TOCA also tweeted - Tesla Owners Club AU on Twitter

Reactions: LGGD