TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Coralville, IA

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by emupilot, Jun 22, 2016.

1. emupilot

emupilot Member

glenhurst heard from Tesla that they were "targeting" a location in Coralville, IA. I did a little googling and found this in minutes of a Board of Adjustment meeting from March 21st:

(emphasis added)

2008 8th Avenue, Coralville IA

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Great news, and thanks for the info.

Tesla seems to be getting pretty close with Hyvee. West Des Moines, Oakdale, and now Coralville.

3. DDarrow

DDarrow Member

Glad to hear it! This can't happen fast enough! The vast majority of my road trips start along this route, and for the past year the MS has had to sit in the garage for all of them.:mad:

4. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Can anybody investigate the Hyvee? It says the council meeting was in March, that is a while ago.

Maybe this Supercharger will be like Council Bluffs and just "magically" be online.

5. glenhurst

glenhurst Member

Hey, great find emupilot! keithhammer, you're only 30 minutes away. Drive down there and take a look, see if anything is happening.

6. brigding

brigding New Member

I was just at the Coralville HyVee today and didn't notice anything happening, but I wasn't looking for it either. I know the store director very well, so I'll see if I can get him to give me some intel.

• Like x 2
  7. jimghenderson

jimghenderson New Member

I live in the Quad Cities and will enjoy FINALLY being able to drive to see friends and relatives in western Iowa driving the Tesla instead of the Volt.

8. jimghenderson

jimghenderson New Member

Between the Peru location opening yesterday, and the Iowa City and Des Moines stations coming, I finally feel like Tesla has acknowledged my existence!

• Funny x 1
  9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Interstates: I-80
    US Number Highways: 218

I-80
    To: Peru, IL - 146 miles
    Diversion: 2 miles

I think that the 146 miles to Peru, IL is a bit too far and at some point they'll want to add something in the Davenport, IA/ Moline, IL area, which would service the Intersection with I-74 and break up the 194 miles from Coralville, IA to Bloomington, IL.

10. wws

wws Member

Tesla has had a red dot set on the Quad Cities for a couple of years. I-80 is such a heavily used artery across the U.S., I am amazed it has taken them this long. (And as a former QC resident, I am looking forward to driving my future Model 3 there.)

11. tedsla

tedsla Mobile Member

Florida, Virginia, Utah and New Hampshire
    Yea ha! Add the Quad Cities and we will be able to get to all our friends and relatives.

12. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Sent email to supercharge.info and they added it. Thx.

13. crmatson

crmatson Member

Great find! Looks like it will be much easier to plan trips by the time the Model 3 is out.

14. emupilot

emupilot Member

Even better:by the time the Model 3 comes out, we won't have to plan trips. We'll just go and recharge when we need to!

• Like x 1
  15. keithhammer

keithhammer Member

We've driven Cedar Rapids to Bloomington, iL. 65 to 70 MPH and got there with 10 miles to spare of 265 to start. So yeah QCs would be nice. Not necessary for Peru though unless you have a 60...

16. keithhammer

keithhammer Member

We are out of town on vacation but on way back in if timing is right I planned to stop

17. jnylenllc

jnylenllc Member

This is HUGE!

The supercharger "future" graphic on the Tesla website shows SCs in Des Moines, Iowa City, and Quad Cities, so looks like they are staying true to their word.

18. DDarrow

DDarrow Member

Well, their current 'word' maybe. To be fair, much of this route was supposed to be filled in well over a year ago, and was originally supposedly going to be complete by the end of last year.

19. keithhammer

keithhammer Member

Stopped by coralville hy-vee. No construction started (as expected). Did see a stake in the south east corner of parking lot which is the most obvious place to put the charger. Marked the location of a transformer - I assume the to-be location for the tesla transformer. So hopefully construction is soon to follow....

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

I hope this is open 7/23 - I have a road trip that will require an imposing overnight plugshare visit otherwise :)

I found someone to help out though if the Supercharger is not ready - what a great community we have!