Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Coralville, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Peru, IL also has non-enclosed transformers, see the attached pic. Maybe this is the new standard, especially along the I-80 "Hy-Vee" corridor.

I also noticed the newer Superchargers have "straight in" stalls as opposed to "back in" stalls, exactly one at the newer builds. Great implications for Model X towing something.

Also, forward thinking for Tesla pickups which are way more likely to have something in tow.

Attachments

• IMG_4571.JPG
    IMG_4571.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 188
Just stopped by the Coralville Supercharger. It looks pretty much done to me. Looks like the electrical contractor has pulled up stakes and left; the storage container is still there; maybe there are some light poles to be installed by some contractor; maybe primary power must be connected and testing done; not sure whether there will be fencing; there is some large conduit sticking up out of the concrete near the Tesla transformers... not sure what will go on there. I called Tesla... they didn't have an estimated open date.
IMG_1202.JPG IMG_1203.JPG IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1205.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk and DDarrow
Just stopped by the Coralville Supercharger. It looks pretty much done to me. Looks like the electrical contractor has pulled up stakes and left; the storage container is still there; maybe there are some light poles to be installed by some contractor; maybe primary power must be connected and testing done; not sure whether there will be fencing; there is some large conduit sticking up out of the concrete near the Tesla transformers... not sure what will go on there. I called Tesla... they didn't have an estimated open date.
View attachment 188365 View attachment 188366 View attachment 188367 View attachment 188368

WOW. Sure seems like this one has been moving quickly. Thanks for the update!

In one photo a Tesla sc stands in front of the electrical hardware installed by Testa. This supplies the power to the sc's. Then off to the right is a concrete pad with conduits sticking up through it. That is the pad where the transformer Will go. It is not there yet.

Pictures for reference of current state. Looks ready to go... One rant though - it looks like Hy-Vee is making a mistake and posting 30 min general parking sign in the 4 spots closest to the store. Once these spots start getting ICE'd PLEASE go into the store and ask for the store director and complain. It's the only way they will know what a stupid decision that was. It shows they really don't have a good grasp what these supercharger stalls are (parking vs charging) and how this shared space won't work and makes no sense. If this is how all the HyVees plan to do it, I hope they find a different partner...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    455.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    626.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: ggnykk
Pictures for reference of current state. Looks ready to go... One rant though - it looks like Hy-Vee is making a mistake and posting 30 min general parking sign in the 4 spots closest to the store. Once these spots start getting ICE'd PLEASE go into the store and ask for the store director and complain. It's the only way they will know what a stupid decision that was. It shows they really don't have a good grasp what these supercharger stalls are (parking vs charging) and how this shared space won't work and makes no sense. If this is how all the HyVees plan to do it, I hope they find a different partner...
This is often done in parking lots that fill up when busy. The best thing a Tesla owner can do is to always park in the 30 minute spots, which will leave the remaining spots open for the later arrivals.

Good thing is to me is that it is as far away from the front door as possible so that will help. Great location in that lot it seems.

B2982Pm.jpg

I know this hy-vee pretty well, and it rarely gets busy enough for those spaces to be attractive to an ICE, in addition, the signage will keep the 'iowa nice' people from parking there. It will just be the one-off a$$hole that is trying to make a point that we have to worry about.

I do agree that mentioning something to the store-director/manager is a good idea.

On the bright side.... This SuperCharger will come in handy over Christmas. I can avoid 3 miles/hour at the in-laws house.

The final piece before they can energize the Supercharger is the installation of the electrical meter on the transformer and the final connection of the transformer to utility power. After that, it is up to the Tesla acceptance team to put the SC through their testing procedure. So, has a meter been installed?