Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Coralville, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slightly true. That is a public parking lot and you can park yourself. They state the spots are for guests only but I am not sure if and or how they can enforce that. But since you need to be there for some time to charge you might as well get something to eat and drink.
Interesting. I was told by the valet that area was not open to the public.... (Because I was just going to go do it myself too) . As an aside - he had no clue how to operate the car, open the charge port, unplug it, etc. next time, he can ride with me and I will park myself...) :)

I am working on an opening event for the Corralville IA Supercharger with the manager of Hy-Vee. No date is set yet because Tesla has not told anyone yet when the site will be operational. I am from Macomb IL. The Tesla owners from Macomb will be there for the opening. We plan to offer free Tesla rides that day. This Supercharger is important to the Macomb Tesla owners because it permits access to I90 without an overnight stay in Iowa.

Reactions: scottf200 and Healy
Fun idea Cquail
I still can't believe Tesla hasn't inspected the only SC to get across the second to last East/West state along I 80! It's bad enough that it took them this long to build one - and now to just let it sit . . .
It has only sat for two days :- ) . Based on Tesla job postings, I don't believe they have anyone in the Midwest that's coordinating the Supercharger build out right now, which is probably part of the problem....

The 1st Hawkeye Football home game is tomorrow in Kinnick Stadium......sure would be nice if this SUC was operational! Currently gotta stay overnight in Coralville/Iowa City/Cedar Rapids using J1772 chargers in order to be able to get back to North Iowa. Down and back in the same day will be awesome for gamedays!!! Let's fire this bad boy up already! :) (Go Hawks!)

Reactions: keithhammer and wws
image.jpeg
Just went out to the SuC, still has the bags on it.

Traveling to Ames from the east in 10 days. Any update from locals? When will we see this completed?
Good observation made on another thread - with Elon's cost cutting email until end of Q3 they are trying to cut costs. So why would they be hustling to test this and support it in September? All it needs is the final sign off as of a week ago. Would make sense that it won't be until early October...

Reactions: scottf200
I inquired to Tesla about the opening of the charger, here's the response:

"Hi Mike,
Thank you for reaching out. We are in the final stages of construction and hope to open the station in Coralville sometime next week. That being said, we cannot make guarantees about opening dates.

Once the station is open to the public it will get posted on our website and in your vehicle within 24 hours. We look forward to seeing you at the station once it is fully operational and we appreciate your enthusiasm and support for Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,

The Tesla Supercharger Team"

"final stages of construction"

I had inquired last week or the week before and got the same response ... final stages of construction. I then sent them above thread pictures of all electrical being done and all construction being done. Then heard crickets.

Awaiting testing. 3 theories I think are plausible now 1) cost savings for fiscal quarter means October opening 2) the plan to test all 3 in same "trip" - Des Moines transformer gets placed tomorrow, so likely would be late next week at absolutely earliest or 3) believe the email and it will be this week. Scottf200 makes #3 seem highly unlikely. Given Coralville has been fully ready since before Labor Day, I doubt #3 too. 1&2 both to me point to a late September / early October opening,

I really hope they prove me wrong

That sucks. Hadn't noticed the block, and brick wasn't done. Could potentially still go live without that done. That's just cosmetic.
Peru went live with NO enclosure. Maybe they wont / dont have one. The previous finish on this looked painted/finished - like it could have been the final enclosure. It was also UGLY. Glad to see backer board and that they'll be bricking it up nicely. But to DDarrows point, I wouldn't see that standing in the way of go live based on Peru as an example...

Reactions: DDarrow