Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Corning (6 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

It was brought to my attention that there is no thread dedicated to the Corning Supercharger, so I thought I would start one. My understanding is that there are 6 chargers here. If anyone sees any indication that this Supercharger is going to be expanded, please post about it. But since there is no gray icon at Corning on the Tesla Find Us page, that seems unlikely.

It was brought to my attention that there is no thread dedicated to the Corning Supercharger, so I thought I would start one. My understanding is that there are 6 chargers here. If anyone sees any indication that this Supercharger is going to be expanded, please post about it. But since there is no gray icon at Corning on the Tesla Find Us page, that seems unlikely.

The only time I've ever been at the Corning Supercharger I was the only one there. This was in June of 2016, on our way to Lassen Volcanic National Park. It was mid day on a Friday. Does Corning get busy these days? I'm thinking about a trip to Portland soon.

Busy? Naaah. Used a lot? Yeah, depending upon time of day and day of the week. Corning has been a frequent stop for me since we received our car in 2014. I do not have precise records, but keep in mind that Corning is a must-stop for driving on Interstate 5. It is about three hours north of Manteca and two hours north of Vacaville. It is about 90 minutes south of Mt. Shasta and 2 1/2 hours south of K-Falls for those with the larger batteries who can skip Mt. Shasta. For those leaving or arriving in Sac, it is about 2 1/2 hours away.

I have seen as many as four cars charging at Corning--usually early-to-mid afternoon, which kinda coincides with people's travel times to or from the Bay Area. But usually I arrive there around noon or 4PM, and at those times there might be me and one other.

Reactions: David99
...for those with the larger batteries who can skip Mt. Shasta.

I realize I'm picking, but even in the best of conditions skipping Mt Shasta isn't all that sensible from a travel time perspective, in either direction, for either the 5 or 97 (assuming a Bend/Eugene to Bay Area type of route).

Klamath can work out time wise as a skip in favorable conditions. That's largely a function of its distance off 97, which is quite inconvenient.

The wildcard is the fact that Mt Shasta, at least in my experience, is often slow...plus it's pretty easy to get paired with only 4 stalls.

Since this is a Corning thread, I've been happy with charging there. Minimal traffic, good rates even in ridiculous temperatures, and a convenient if not a little run down Best Western right next door. And Starbucks.

Since this is a Corning thread, I've been happy with charging there. Minimal traffic, good rates even in ridiculous temperatures, and a convenient if not a little run down Best Western right next door. And Starbucks.
I agree with all this. If given the choice, I would choose Corning over Mt. Shasta. I stayed at the Best Western once and it was fine. Not fancy, but I wouldn't call it run down at all. I don't remember much about it which is probably a good thing :) And as much as I never go to Starbucks in Seattle, I do tend to like the superchargers with Starbucks nearby. It's all relative I guess. It's definitely more relaxing for me to waste an hour on my computer at a Starbucks than it is at a Carl's Jr. or Fred Meyer or whatever.

IMG_9376.jpg IMG_9377.jpg IMG_9378.jpg IMG_9379.jpg IMG_9380.jpg IMG_9381.jpg Arrived today 7/23 around 11:15AM. Only one S plugged into 1A. First time I noticed that the stalls are out of sequence (ie. 1A is not next to 1B).

Also, stall 2A's plug is damaged and chipped such that it won't stay in the holster. I will let Tesla know.

Here are pictures:

Last edited:
Looks like Shasta will be a real choke point then. Hopefully some will be taking the K-Falls route otherwise Grants Pass will be a zoo as well!

EDIT: Oof! Just saw the Shasta thread. If people in Corning are reading this, I would definitely recommend charging longer in Corning and trying to skip Shasta (as long as the line in Corning isn't too ridiculously long). People with 85+ should be able to make either Grants Pass or Klamath Falls without the need to stop in Shasta. Also from personal experience the chargers in Corning are faster than the ones in Shasta (especially when paired in Shasta which will obviously be the case).

I'm guessing many of the CA eclipse tourists will be headed to central or eastern Oregon rather than the Willamette Valley. The good news is the Klamath Falls and Bend superchargers are both 8 stalls each so that route hopefully won't be too bad. Grants Pass with only 4 stalls would be a huge problem if everyone were continuing north on I-5 but hopefully that won't be the case.

Last edited:
I would definitely recommend driving up 101 and/or driving in the wee hours for anyone who hasn't left yet. For people headed to Western Oregon, this is a must, but even people headed to Central Oregon could get creative. Larger batteries could make it all the way from Bandon to Bend or at least Bandon to Detroit Lake. Smaller batteries could make the crossing if they get a full charge at Lincoln City. Not sure if Lincoln City will see congestion. It is right on the path of totality. IIRC there are also a lot of Chademo options on the Oregon coast.

Planning to leave the bay area now (6:30am) do you still suggest 101? Was thinking about max charge on a p90d at corning to get to grants pass.
If I were you, I would call the hotels that host the superchargers and ask them what the situation is. But even then it might change between the time you call and the time you arrive. Should give you a better idea though. Leaving at 6am might beat the crowd though. Really hard to say.