Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Corte Madera (LIVE 12 Feb 2019, 10 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update for you guys. Took this photo minutes ago. Seems like it's ready to open!

Attachments

• IMG_4673.jpeg
    IMG_4673.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 190
Since these are located on the service (back) side of the mall facing the freeway, hopefully they'll be less prone to ICEing by eager shoppers wanting to save a few steps to the entrances of their favorite stores.

Good luck with that. I used to live about a mile and a half from that mall. That "backside" parking was almost always full, for a couple of reasons. It was easy to get to and from the mall from that area via walk through hallways. And parking on the other side of the mall is usually full, also.

The redeeming hope is that there are a TON of Teslas in the area, so perhaps people will be more considerate, overall. Also, given the more progressive mindset of Marin municipalities it wouldn't surprise me if there was actually some enforcement on EV charger parking.

Yes I agree... it's very congested back there and I rarely see parking spaces... and there are lots of delivery trucks delivering to the stores' service entrances. Parking problems are compounded by the fact they have removed part of the front parking lot to build a new Restoration Hardware. There is a proposal to pave another lot across the road near Nordstrom, and that would have been the ideal location for a SC.

The one good thing is that the SC's are right next to the Tesla showroom, and the mall security is very vigilant... if Tesla makes a stink, and the signage is "Tesla Parking Only" we may be OK.

Reactions: israndy
I would make some sense to have the chargers less buried in the mall, I think I had to cross 5 speedbumps to get in and another 5 to get out of the charger area. But having the Tesla guys right there to help police the charging stalls is a good thing.

There is so little parking at that mall, even with that soon to be paved area, that this time of year they bus the employees in. You have to arrive >1/2 an hour early at the local high school and get on a bus that brings you to the work. Only then can you punch in. I did it for 3 years :eek:

I was there yesterday and saw the fence is getting smaller, only a few spaces still behind it, the chargers just have a caution tape sash to display that they are offline. The destination chargers are still there. This is going to more than double the line of Tesla vehicles against that wall when the mall is open. I did see a large number of Teslas parked in that back side of the mall, not plugged in, I guess just shopping.

And as usual, the Volta chargers were all full. I don't know how people with tiny batteries survive.

-Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah
Yes, and then they (we, got an iMiev in addition to the TM3) are stuck in this circle of 25 miles they can go. That's a trip to the Nordstroms, then Big Lots, and Costco and home. I like doing all that and still realizing if someone said "Let's go to the cabin" I could.

-Randy

Alameda opened this morning, wonder when Corte Madera plans on opening. I was at the new Livermore SC last night as I always hate hitting up Dublin on my way home. These new urban SCers are so nice, you don't have to drive around and figure out who is getting ready to leave and take the station that is paired with theirs. You just drive up and get the full 75kW that your pedestal can provide. Jealousy is a thing of the past, or it's a thing of Alameda once word of this place gets out. The only East Bay Supercharger, other than the factory.

-Randy

Dropped by the Village at Corte Madera today. Checking out progress. Still working on it. Looks like 10 urban chargers as mentioned before. Chatting with the folks in the Tesla Store right there, they had heard "end of month" opening . We are awaiting permit finalization. Corte Madera takes its time. Fingers crossed looking forward to the opening by January 1st.

The parking spaces are occupied by customers at the very busy shopping center for now. Disappointed to see the 60 minute ICE parking allowed in the charging stalls. Oh well.

IMG_2112.jpg
IMG_2108.jpg

All TEN let you ICE the charger?

At Alameda the first 6 say Vehicle Charging Only, then the two more say EV Charging Only so it's really only four that you can get away with ICEing and not expect some flack.

Not a big deal, none of these locations are required to get to your destination like Petaluma or Rocklin or Gilroy would be. Just to help people who cannot charge at home.

-Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: Blu Zap
When I first saw a picture of the sign, I interpreted it as "Tesla only 60 minute parking" even though that's not actually what it says. It's a big red sign with a Tesla logo and the number 60, very easy to misread if you're driving and only glance at it. Here's hoping the ICE drivers make the same mistake as they're looking for parking and leave these spots open for the actual Teslas.

When I first saw a picture of the sign, I interpreted it as "Tesla only 60 minute parking" even though that's not actually what it says.
Yes, the key word is “general” parking. Any car can park there for up to 60 minutes. Of course Tesla didn’t set that requirement, the mall owner did as a condition for allowing Tesla to place Superchargers there.

Some ICE owners will see the red Tesla sign, interpret it as prohibiting them from parking there, and move on. Other ICE owners will correctly interpret the sign and park there for up to an hour. Other ICE owners will ignore the sign entirely and park there for hours. It’s a very busy mall and the parking lots get crowded.

Alameda opened this morning, wonder when Corte Madera plans on opening. I was at the new Livermore SC last night as I always hate hitting up Dublin on my way home. These new urban SCers are so nice, you don't have to drive around and figure out who is getting ready to leave and take the station that is paired with theirs. You just drive up and get the full 75kW that your pedestal can provide. Jealousy is a thing of the past, or it's a thing of Alameda once word of this place gets out. The only East Bay Supercharger, other than the factory.

-Randy

There’s another one in Central Fremont - this one and Alameda would be hard to get to from the freeway so only if you’re desparate.

I don't think they are ever going to be suggestions from the routing software in your car, like all the chargers on the peninsula they are there for locals to charge while shopping. I mean, have you SEEN Daly City? 40 chargers on the roof of a mall parking garage.

Sure, they are all Sort Of near the freeway, but they are difficult to get to. I spent 40 minutes trying to get from the freeway to the IKEA Supercharger in East Palo Alto the other night. Traffic is a naughtmare. Truly if you are driving thru the Bay Area you can make it from the Gilroy Supercharger to the Petaluma one in any Tesla. And if you are driving thru-thru, like from LA, why are you leaving Hwy 5? Or Hwy 80?

-Randy

Last edited:
I drove past Corte Madera last night around 9 PM and noticed almost every stall being occupied. Many of the cars had their parking lights on which made me think that maybe the Tesla store was parking their test drive cars there. It really looked like the chargers were open from the freeway and now I wish I would have stopped to check. Any updates if the stalls are operational?

I drove past Corte Madera last night around 9 PM and noticed almost every stall being occupied. Many of the cars had their parking lights on which made me think that maybe the Tesla store was parking their test drive cars there. It really looked like the chargers were open from the freeway and now I wish I would have stopped to check. Any updates if the stalls are operational?
Ya the Tesla store parks them at the HPWCs behind the store. They leave the parking lights on all their demo models so you can see them from the freeway. Looks pretty cool.
But the Superchargers are several yards to the right. They are still not operational and either fenced in or still roped off. I confirmed that from the freeway this afternoon. Hoping it will be as soon as the end of the month.

• Informative
Reactions: Troy916 and PLUS EV