Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger Cost has been changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Tesla — Model S   Charging and Adapters.png
    Tesla — Model S Charging and Adapters.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 106
That doesn't mean the price has changed... just means that they have moved it to MyTesla from the parts/accssories page.

I have an early 60 (where supercharging was on optional), so went to check MyTesla. But nothing different there -- although that may be because I have Supercharging enabled...

This is most likely getting ready for Model 3 launch -- where some sort of paid supercharging appears to be on her table...

No, it means the early Model S's with the 40kWh packs (well 60 software limited to 40) can't supercharge. Has nothing to do with the 3.
Agreed.

@Uricasha what you posted about has nothing to do with the Model 3. We do not yet know what battery sizes will be offered for the Model 3 or what the Supercharger cost will be or what kind of charging plans will be offered.

Reactions: S'toon and Red Sage
If they implement a pay per charge/Kw method I would like to see them reduce the cost by 2/3 or so if you charge when utilities offer less cost electricity like I use at my home in Huntington Beach from 10pm to 8am. This will not only reduce owners and possibly Tesla's cost but also free up some SC congestion.

If they implement a pay per charge/Kw method I would like to see them reduce the cost by 2/3 or so if you charge when utilities offer less cost electricity like I use at my home in Huntington Beach from 10pm to 8am. This will not only reduce owners and possibly Tesla's cost but also free up some SC congestion.

They might have different deals with the utilities. I have the same 'super off peak' rate as you, but there is a EV-only plan that is $0.15 any time of the day. There might be different options for commercial clients.

The legality behind reselling electricity is complex, highly regulated, and varies by state...essentially Tesla would be treated as a utility company with all the requirements that involves. Take California, the only industry more highly regulated than utilities is healthcare. I think it's unlikely Tesla will sell by the charge for this reason. It's going to be all or nothing.

Reactions: Red Sage
The legality behind reselling electricity is complex, highly regulated, and varies by state...essentially Tesla would be treated as a utility company with all the requirements that involves. Take California, the only industry more highly regulated than utilities is healthcare. I think it's unlikely Tesla will sell by the charge for this reason. It's going to be all or nothing.

My guess is similar - included in the larger pack and an optional one time fee for the rest.

If Tesla was trying to get creative and lower the cost of entry they could make it a subscription service - buy a one day or one week all you can supercharge pass, but it's hard to build infrastructure that way, so it really depends on where their priorities are.

Reactions: Red Sage

Blink, ChargePoint and others charge per kWh. So it's not unheard of. Tesla might make it easy and charge per time which encourages people to move their car.

This is a great idea. Nobody is really talking about how >60kwh cars are about to take off and what that means to a grid where dwellings average 30kwh a day. At some point, you've hit it on the head.

This is a great idea. Nobody is really talking about how >60kwh cars are about to take off and what that means to a grid where dwellings average 30kwh a day. At some point, you've hit it on the head.

Unless driving habits change a lot, the impact will be a lot smaller than you're thinking.

Typical cars are driven 12,000 miles per year in the U.S.. Most modern EVs are running around 36 kWh per 100 miles from the wall per the EPA.

That means the typical modern EV replacing a modern ICE car needs around 4,320 kWh per year - slightly under 12 kWh per day.

What's more, most of them will naturally be charged at night, when there's usually excess capacity - and incentive programs could easily shift the charge timing around quite a bit where it is helpful.

I did all the math in a forum post a while back, and came to the conclusion that replacing every gas mile driven in the USA in 2014 with a Model S electric mile would require a 21% increase in total annual electric production. Not trivial, but not difficult either, especially if it comes during the low side of the demand curve.

• Love
Reactions: David99
Agreed.

@Uricasha what you posted about has nothing to do with the Model 3. We do not yet know what battery sizes will be offered for the Model 3 or what the Supercharger cost will be or what kind of charging plans will be offered.

Well, you could extrapolate the fact that they are no longer charging one flat fee for supercharger access eluding to the possibility of a different cost based on Tesla model or possibly a different revenue model such as charging per kWhr. It's just one more piece of information for people like ourselves who have nothing better to do with their time.

That doesn't mean the price has changed... just means that they have moved it to MyTesla from the parts/accssories page.

I have an early 60 (where supercharging was on optional), so went to check MyTesla. But nothing different there -- although that may be because I have Supercharging enabled...

This is most likely getting ready for Model 3 launch -- where some sort of paid supercharging appears to be on her table...

I'm not saying the price changed, just saying the price isn't fixed at one price on their website. (It "could" be different in your MyTesla page based on Tesla model)

I did all the math in a forum post a while back, and came to the conclusion that replacing every gas mile driven in the USA in 2014 with a Model S electric mile would require a 21% increase in total annual electric production. Not trivial, but not difficult either, especially if it comes during the low side of the demand curve.

I'm not an expert on power plant technology but I looked up the power demand over time on the grid and it's going down by much more than 21% during off peak. So in theory the grid can easily handle a 21% increase in production if the majority of it is happening at night where power plants have partial load. From strictly a load point of view it's no problem at all, since there is no additional capacity needed. From a fuel point of view of course we would need 21% more of it. But I don' think that would be a huge problem.

Reactions: Saghost
I'm not an expert on power plant technology but I looked up the power demand over time on the grid and it's going down by much more than 21% during off peak. So in theory the grid can easily handle a 21% increase in production if the majority of it is happening at night where power plants have partial load. From strictly a load point of view it's no problem at all, since there is no additional capacity needed. From a fuel point of view of course we would need 21% more of it. But I don' think that would be a huge problem.

Exactly. And the flexible nature of the load will be especially useful since almost all of the recent growth in generation has been renewables.