Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger cost in Los Angeles - quick and easy - $10/100 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had free supercharging in my previous Tesla and so only no have had to pay for the electrons. Prior to this I really had no clue about the costs of supercharging. I saw many complex breakdowns accounting for all kinds of details, I knew it was cheaper than gas (in SoCal) but not really sure how much.
Well after paying for about 1000 miles of driving in my "new" 2021 model3 I can say it's costing roughly $10/100 miles which is a nice round number. It's cheaper than gas.. but not as cheap as free or charging at home.
Maybe useful info for someone looking into getting a Tesla.
Anyone disagree?

I had free supercharging in my previous Tesla and so only no have had to pay for the electrons. Prior to this I really had no clue about the costs of supercharging. I saw many complex breakdowns accounting for all kinds of details, I knew it was cheaper than gas (in SoCal) but not really sure how much.
Well after paying for about 1000 miles of driving in my "new" 2021 model3 I can say it's costing roughly $10/100 miles which is a nice round number. It's cheaper than gas.. but not as cheap as free or charging at home.
Maybe useful info for someone looking into getting a Tesla.
Anyone disagree?

$0.10/mile? Not bad. Like you say, cheaper than gas. For me charging at home costs me about $0.04/mile. That will certainly vary per user, and if I drove the speed limit it would likely go to $0.03/mile. But I ain't got time for that.

Did you mostly supercharge with your free charging? Will you mostly charge at home now? Do you regret the change?

$0.10/mile? Not bad. Like you say, cheaper than gas. For me charging at home costs me about $0.04/mile. That will certainly vary per user, and if I drove the speed limit it would likely go to $0.03/mile. But I ain't got time for that.

Did you mostly supercharge with your free charging? Will you mostly charge at home now? Do you regret the change?
The free supercharging for life was a somewhat unique perk. I don't know anyone that ever had that on a model 3. That said, I used to mostly charge at home both for convenience and to preserve the battery life. Sadly I totalled that car and so am now paying like everyone else. Interestingly my car was sold at auction and the new owner contacted me for some help (another story). Later my wife called Tesla asking if the free charging could be transferred to our car (you can always ask!). Not only did Tesla customer service pick up the phone quite quickly, they chatted to her for some time. They said (I don't believe them actually) that the new owner of my old car would most likely be able to continue the free charging even though it has a salvage title.. who knows.

The free supercharging for life was a somewhat unique perk. I don't know anyone that ever had that on a model 3. That said, I used to mostly charge at home both for convenience and to preserve the battery life. Sadly I totalled that car and so am now paying like everyone else. Interestingly my car was sold at auction and the new owner contacted me for some help (another story). Later my wife called Tesla asking if the free charging could be transferred to our car (you can always ask!). Not only did Tesla customer service pick up the phone quite quickly, they chatted to her for some time. They said (I don't believe them actually) that the new owner of my old car would most likely be able to continue the free charging even though it has a salvage title.. who knows.

Previously they would disable Supercharger access on salvage vehicles. But something happened last year and I believe they've started recertifying them and giving them Supercharger access again.

Sorry about your car. Hopefully the new car has enough other perks to make up for the lack of free supercharging.

Very happy with the 2021. It has many of the good updates and none of the bad ones. It doesn't have faster media computer or new 12v battery but that's ok. It's tinted storm trooper white and white which looks great. Only issue is the cops pulled me over the other day for an illegal u turn. I didn't actually do one and they told me "they must have made a mistake but you know remove the tint".. no way!

I have free Supercharging for Life on my 2018 Model 3 Performance, but it doesn't transfer to a new owner when I sell the car. It was offered to purchasers of the Performance version of the Model 3 over about a two week period, or something like that. I have a Supercharger close to home and in the early mornings, it's seldom busy (typically I'm the only one there). I think I've spent a total of $3 over the last 31 days to charge the car (I also have a wall charger at home which is really convenient). With close to 90,000 miles on the car, I still get between 285 and 292 miles at a 100% charge. I always pre-condition the battery on the way to the Supercharger. This car has been extremely cheap to operate.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Yeah, I remember end of Q3 2018, they were running a promo if you bought the 3P, they bundled free supercharging for life. It was $10k extra to get the 3P over the LR-AWD.

If you assume about 4miles/kWh, and 40c/kWh at a supercharger, then you get around 10c/kWh. Was a lot nicer in 4yrs ago, when the math worked out to about 5c/kWh.

Over 80,000 miles, I spent maybe $1500 on electricity.. not bad! It was nice doing some long road trips (1000+ miles) and never worrying about the cost, driving around SoCal just burning the miles for free. It was certainly a nice perk. Mine was given in compensation for trouble I had with the car at the beginning, though they never actually told me anything about it, I just found one day that my supercharging cost was $0..

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Charging at home at night I pay 32 cents a KWh and use about 285W per mile which is about 9 cents a mile. I don't use superchargers often but when I need them they are generally 40-45 cents a kWh which would be 11-12 cents a mile. Lately I've been charging exclusively at work to bring it down to 0 cents a mile.